Recent Crash, Help wanted ref Insurance Co, please - bulltraderpt
Hi, this is my first post and I come here looking for advice please:

Recently the wife was involved in a five car shunt you know the sort of thing.

She's second, but has sustained damage to rear tail gate (unable to open currently) and a bash in the off side door where she crunched another driver.

Anyway we are fully comprehensive, have legal and protected no claims.

My question is this. Because the car is over ten years old, (very low mileage, very well looked after, lots of life in the old car yet), I have this feeling the Insurance company are going to try and write it off.

Has anyone come up against this sort of thing and been able to get it back off the company and get the damage repaired themselves?

TBH the damage to the off side door I can live with, indeed as long as we can open and close the boot, I'm not too bothered about the look of that either.

So advice please or experience on how to proceed.

Cheers

Edited by Pugugly on 30/12/2009 at 20:54

Recent Crash, Help wanted ref Insurance Co, please - WorkshopTech
Ask them if they'll let you have the vehicle as salvage. Trouble is a lot of companies have a contract with one of the big salvage companies and are obliged to give them all their salvage as part of the contract, to stop it bing cherry picked. You can only ask.
Recent Crash, Help wanted ref Insurance Co, please - paul2007
Defo yes!
a member of my family had a brand new xj6 - it too was about 10 years old - FSH, low miles - they gave him the market value and car back as a cat D i believe. he has never repaired the damage, road legal and drives better than new.
good luck
Recent Crash, Help wanted ref Insurance Co, please - bell boy
As wt says depends on the insurance company but if they do allow it you will be paying 10 to 15 % of the money they offer you for the car.
wife had a bump tonight her cars alright ive checked it but last time she had one in a fiesta she let the other driver go as it only hit the rear end.,she never told me till a week later when we went shopping in it and she hadnt been in the boot,we couldnt get any groceries in due to the floor being well up.
Reason i am telling you this?
Before you assume tailgate has only had a tup you need to check it thoroughly and depending on the car a rear ender can pull both sides of the back end in making repair interesting to say the least,puntos are a classic example
Recent Crash, Help wanted ref Insurance Co, please - Nsar
You'd be surprised at how much damage is needed to write off even an old car. When somebody went into the back of my 10 year old car and bent the floor as well as totalling the tailgate I assumed it would be written off but it simply went onto a jig to be straightened and a new tailgate supplied.