92 2.5d ducato seized clutch?? - cjbcjbchris
I've not run my Ducato for a month or so and the clutch appears to be seized - any suggestions please?

When engine is off i can depress clutch and put in gear

When engine is running and i depress clutch, it won't go into gear.

Thanks

Chris
92 2.5d ducato seized clutch?? - percy
Try (briefly so as not to kn*cker the starter motor) starting it in 1st gear with clutch depressed and brakes on. Clutch plate is probably lightly rusted to flywheel/pressure plate. Leave a clear space in front in case vehicle moves off!
Good luck!
92 2.5d ducato seized clutch?? - Robin the Technician
The clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel. If you start it up in 1st gear and blip the throttle several times (causing the kangaroo effect) with the clutch pedal depressed, it will free itself quite easily. It won't be able to sustain the torque load applied to the 'stuck on' part for long.

Robin the Technician
Thanks

I'll try it in the morning - I've left the clutch wedged down overnight.

Will it help at all if I run the engine for a while in the morning before trying starting it in gear (i.e will the oil circulate around the gearbox to give it some lubrucation, or am i wasting my time)?

Chris
92 2.5d ducato seized clutch?? - Peter.N.
If that doesnt free it, start it in first gear, drive a little way and brake hard while holding the clutch disengaged.
92 2.5d ducato seized clutch?? - Robin the Technician
Warming the engine up will do no harm - however, the clutch is not immersed in the gearbox oil, so that will have no effect. Follow my instructions and it'll free itself. I've done this on loads of cars/ vans and even motorbikes.

Robin the Technician
Thanks Robin

Followed your advice - Started in first gear, followed by one big clunk and it came free.... (phew... don't have to explain a large garage bill to my wife now - have a "virtual beer" on me!!).

Chris

Edited by cjbcjbchris on 31/12/2009 at 15:59