Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Nsar
BBC has been forecasting this for a couple of days now but Wales and Northern Midlands look to be in line for more snow.

Spades, blankets and wellies in the boot the ready, mobiles fully charged, you know the drill.

This guy is forecasting an extended rough start for the new year in many parts
www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?...r

PU - hopefully the tinyurl will get round the filter

It only directed to the Tiny site -hopefully fixed it now.

Edited by Pugugly on 28/12/2009 at 20:48

Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Old Navy
We've still got the last lot, the slush is now like concrete. :-(
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - teabelly
I don't trust the BBC forecasts any more. They were saying rain when the temps were predicted to be below zero. So it snowed instead. They've been saying snow when it is too warm for snow and rains instead. Bit annoying really as I was going to go down Worcestershire way to see some friends on Wednesday so it looks like this will be off if there actually is snow :-/

Managed to nearly get stuck on my own drive at the weekend. It's very slopy concrete. Car got up there with some wheel spin as one side was on snow the other on concrete so bit of sideways. I couldn't get down in my shoes. Thought I was going to have to back the car off and park it in the road!! Time to get some rud snow chains for my shoes I think :-)
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - yorkiebar
Sloppy concrete?

Perhaps you should have let it harden before trying to drive on it :)

Sorry, just couldnt resist !
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Cliff Pope
We haven't had any snow yet this winter in north Pembrokeshire. The forecast promised heavy snow. All very disappointed as we have a new sledge to try out.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Robin Reliant
We haven't had any snow yet this winter in north Pembrokeshire. The forecast promised heavy
snow. All very disappointed as we have a new sledge to try out.

Just outside Fishguard we have only had the odd light dusting which cleared in a few hours. Plenty of ice though, out in the wilds near Crymych I had to turn back last week as a truck had come to a halt on a descent, unable to get any traction and sliding all over the place when he tried to inch forward. Reversing about 300 yards on a car that had now become rear wheel drive was a bit of a buttock clencher.

Sleet and freezing cold rain today, and my postman has just turned up.........wearing shorts!

Edited by Robin Reliant on 29/12/2009 at 13:13

Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Pugugly
Just seen the news - the A470 is closing quickly in Mid-Wales
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - rtj70
If the forecast is accurate, then a lot of snow is on the way.... oh joy. The ice is only just melting here - the thick covering of snow became very dangerous ice.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Altea Ego
Well bye for now, we will see you welsh types when you get dug out in the spring.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Alby Back
They'll be OK. I think this when they bring the sheep indoors. Failing that hot lemon drinks all round......
It's also when they've nothing else to do but write their poetry and dream up daft ideas like having their own parliament.
Damn, more on my home counties tax bill.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Lud
hot lemon drinks all round......

... with root ginger for those with seasonal virus infections perhaps. Although I find Stolichnaya (straight from the icebox) and cheap orange juice very nutritious myself.
Actually, now is a good time to keep your limmoncello and ceramic shot glasses in the snow
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Pugugly
Ahh Limoncello !
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - rtj70
Ahh Limoncello !

Tasted some of the best Limoncello in Sorrento in late September this year. They made it on the premises of course. Yum.

No snow near Manchester (yet).
Talking of which, do you remember truckers used to have little holders for drink cans hanging off their wing mirrors in the summer? It would have been the perfect way to get a drink from the fridge up to ambient temperature in the least possible time!
Some desert warriors I used to know carried their water in goatskins with the hair outside, slung across the front corners of their Land Rovers and so on in the Saharan sun. The skins used to sweat a bit of water into the hair and that would evaporate cooling the contents. So the water was (or anyway seemed) refreshingly cool, although it tasted of the pitch used to seal the seams in the goatskins.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - pda
I'd forgotten those:) I had a double one and never did drink it because it was so cool to have them hanging there!

Pat
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Armitage Shanks {p}
NSAR, you've lost me. Why would anybody want to get a drink from a fridge up to ambient temperature? Quicker surely just to not put it in the fridge?I like my beer, cider and mixers cold!
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Harleyman
NSAR you've lost me. Why would anybody want to get a drink from a fridge
up to ambient temperature?

AS, in olden days before plug-in cool boxes, and before HGV's had anything remotely like a decent ventilation system never mind aircon, those things were the only way of keeping a can of pop below boiling point on a hot summer's day!

Went up to top side of Goodwick on Christmas Eve, as you say very little snow up there. Same down the Gower. Llandysul area copped it most so far, I think. Only had one farm where the lorry got stuck enough to warrant help from a tractor, and that was only because the farmer was too mean to grit his lane.

As usual in Carmarthen half an inch creates chaos and it's normally gone by the next day. I take great pleasure in telling my Welsh neighbours and work colleagues about the Peak district in the 80's and 90's... real snow that was, not the girly stuff they get down here! ;-)
This site seems to show a more realistic forcast for the Midlands than the Beeb, who are talking about 4 inches of snow. I shall be interested to see what I wake up to in the morning.

www.accuweather.com/ukie/index.asp?partner=accuwea...0

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 29/12/2009 at 19:17

England and Wales don't have exclusive snow rights, we have had an inch on top of the existing frozen snow in the last hour and still snowing, (Edinburgh area).
England and Wales don't have exclusive snow rights we have had an inch on top
of the existing frozen snow in the last hour and still snowing (Edinburgh area).

Blimey, a Scotsman complaining that he's had too much! ;-)
Have they closed the Radical Road yet ON ? That always used to be quite good fun with a bit of dream topping on it !
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - audiA6tdi
I'm off to Scotland tomorrow from the Midlands. I hope the gritters are out!
Blimey a Scotsman complaining that he's had too much! ;-)

No, an Englishman in a foreign land, (by choice). :-)
Went up to top side of Goodwick on Christmas Eve

Are you a Little Englander Harley? Blow me down, I lived in Fishguard in the early fifties as a child.

Or is there another Goodwick?
Are you a Little Englander Harley?

No sir! Like ON I'm an exile by choice; worked in Narberth in the early 90's, liked the scene, so when the old man died a few years ago I sold my house in Derby bought a place near Carmarthen.

Pembrokeshire's lovely but there's little in the way of work in my trade; in Carmarthen you get the best of both worlds, lovely area but more jobs and facilities.

I was actually delivering feed to a farm up near Strumble Head that day. Spectacular view over the bay but you wouldn't want to stand outside for long this weather!
Further to the Beeb's forecast of heavy snow in Peterborough at 2100, I drove home at that time thru some sleet which was settling on the verges but not the road. This morning there is no snow lying anywhere and it is not freezing.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - pda
There's none in the Fen and Mr pda has driven up from south of Newbury this morning back to Guyhirn and hasn't seen any either.

Pat
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Cliff Pope
Still waiting. It's not even cold now.
Still waiting. It's not even cold now.

>>
And guess what, they've just started gritting all the roads they didn't bother with last week when people were ice skating all over the place.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - DP
No snow predicted, but the BBC are forecasting nightly lows of between -3 and -7 where we are over the next 5 days.

Joy of joys. Back to work on Monday, and scraper in hand! At least they're saying it's gonna be nice and sunny for a while! :-)
Not snowing here either yet but feels cold enough to give copper/zinc alloy primates cause for concern.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - Pat L
Despite the dire warnings of heavy snow for Worcestershire we've had none here in the Evesham area. Yesterday and Tuesday were wet and cold but not a single flake of snow.

Feel a bit cheated really!
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - BobbyG
Well in Lanarkshire, and more so in the Lothians, it has snowed every day practically since the 23rd.

Most of the main roads are clear and get cleared with each snow fall but the side roads and roads in the estate are hard packed ice and will take quite a rise in temperature to clear.

Have a look at the live-eye view cameras on the trafficscotland website!
the met office have made a complete testicles of the weather forecast re snow in the last month.

They failed to forecast most of the snow that fell with less than 4 hours notice (failed to forecast the basingstoke snow at all) and now have this false massive snow alert to their names.

Edited by Altea Ego on 31/12/2009 at 20:09

the met office have made a complete testicles of the weather forecast re snow in
the last month.

Are they the governments climate tax advisor's?
They've surpassed themselves now. Been forecasting snow for 48 hours. Nothing. Stopped forecasting snow and tonight it has snowed!!!! How can these professional weather forecasters be so consistently wrong? I am wondering whether to just reverse every forecast.....
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - DP
This is the same outfit that predicted Summer 2009 would be hot and sunny, and that Winter 09/10 would be one of the warmest on record. I can only speak for my tiny part of this island, but temperatures have been significantly below average for the past 3 weeks, and the snowman I built over a week ago is still a football sized ball of ice on my lawn!

And yes, they are a major adviser to the government on climate change, and had significant input into the Copenhagen summit.

I have yet to read anything that convinces me that predicting anything relating to weather in a given square 50km of the planet's surface more than 24 hours in advance is anything other than pure guesswork. I really don't know why they bother, or why we (and I include myself in that) place any stock in their forecasts.

As for how the global climate is going to be in 50-100 years? Don't make me laugh.
Snow for Wales & C England tonight, more on way - ForumNeedsModerating
Hurrah! Hurrah! Finally got some snow!

I can finally look at the BR in the face again (even had the ESP light flickering a bit) & stand shoulder to shoulder with other BR stalwarts when I come to recount my ' THAT winter of 2009' stories.

Oddly, it's only settled on the minor roads, none on the ground or hills & major roads completely clear. Mind you, there are 2-3 cm 'drifts' on my road - so i feel I've suffered like the rest of you, in spirit at least.

Bleedin' heck!

I've just arrived home after a hair-raising journey. Went into Haverfordwest this afternoon and it started to snow while I was there. Coming back along the A40 I was second in a line of traffic creeping along at about 20mph when an oncoming car spun about 300yds ahead of us. A few more followed him, blocking the road completely. The guy ahead of me suddenly did a full 360 and as I touched my brakes I started to loose it too. He came to a near the opposite verge and I was sliding towards him, frantically pumping the brakes and convinced I was about to hit. I stopped with about six inches to spare, looked in my mirror and saw someone behind spinning like a top, fortunately getting past me on the nearside. When the dust settled there were cars all over the road, miraculously no contact anywhere but the road was a complete ice rink.

I made it home crawling in second gear, but I've never come across anything like that before on freshly fallen snow. The road had been bone dry an hour earlier too.

Forecast was for sunny skies all day!
It's actually snowing properly now. Forecast even said snow from noon and it did. How many monkeys with random weather symbols would it take to equal the met office's forecasting accuracy?

Muppets with no acceleration sense are struggling with a gentle slope already....
There has been a decent snowfall here in the hills to the North of Manchester. More forecast by Accuweather who I have to say have been OK in the last few days.

Temperatures to stay v low (2c max) for the next week and more.