Daftest things you've done..or not. - Alby Back
The wallet on the roof after filling up ?
The petrol cap left on top of the pump ?

Well, this week I very nearly got it badly wrong. Four AM alarm ...yuk...200 mile journey to make with a view to being away overnight in this weeks lovely weather....oh joy....went outside at 4.30 AM to defrost car, turned engine on using keyless ignition switch wotsit ( why should anyone else get any sleep if I'm up ? ) , went back into house to fetch briefcase and absent mindedly laid car keys/fob thing on kitchen table. Back out to car still running, got in and set off. Fortunately got only a mile or so before realising key thing was still on kitchen table. Returned to house. Had to phone Mrs B to wake her to open front door..... she strangely irritable that morning for some reason....

Thank goodness I didn't get to where I was going without the fob. Could have turned the engine off but couldn't have locked the car or started it again. Phew !

And you ?
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Lud
Complex modern carp...

What about pouring half a gallon of oil through an engine onto the ground owing to sump plug awareness breakdown? Real primitive stuff.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - BobbyG
About 15 years ago, before I had a mobile.
Daughter was still a baby, wife had the car and brought it to my work at lunchtime with daughter in it. I had to drop them off at my sisters.
Arrived at sisters, sister and niece and nephew came out to the car to meet us.
Waved them away and went back to work, parked in Safeway car park and took a wander round the neighbouring shops to spend the last 15 mins of my lunch hour.
Walked into Safeway to be met by some frantic staff looking all over for me, I had to phone my wife at my sisters urgently.
Phoned her, she asked if I had looked in the back of my car, no says I, why you ask?

Because your daughter is still fast asleep there I hope!

And she was......
Daftest things you've done..or not. - perro
I was working on a Lada Niva for one of the security guy's down at LWT, I drained the injun oil but when I came to refill, I found the oil level way too high ... turns out I'd drianed the diff (4X4!) :-)
Daftest things you've done..or not. - DP
Humph, the Scenic's keyless system would beep angrily at you with "KEYCARD NOT DETECTED" messages as soon as the key went out of range. Wouldn't stop the engine though.

I remember filling a Cavalier gearbox with oil. Literally filling it. Turns out instead of removing the level plug, I'd unscrewed a mounting bolt. DOH! It took about three litres with nothing coming out before I worked out something was up.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - henry k
One in ignorance and one just stoopid.

The tacho stopped working on my 1600E. I removed it and found the engine would start but stopped as soon as I released the key.
I hard wired the coil ( via a little switch ). All went well until the coil cooked. I was totally unaware it was a cold start 9V coil operated via a ballast resistor.

I was cleaning / polishing something in the engine bay wihen the engine was running.
The fan grabbed the bit of old shirt ( cheapskate cleaning cloth), flung it around and Murphys law decreed that the shirt button was at just the right trajectory to puncture one of the tubes in the radiator.
At least in those day a radiator was very easy to extract.
Long time ago. Visiting sort of girlfriend at her gazillionaire parents house. The sort of house where it takes a few minutes to drive from the front gates to the actual house. Me in my tatty old orange Land Rover 90. Parked up at front of house which faces beautiful, if somehow too perfect, ornamental rose garden no doubt tended by a faithful retainer gardner type.

Can't get an answer at the front door and wander round the back to find gf and her family at the pool drinking something with fruit and umbrellas in it. Spend a convivial hour or two in their company and leave through house with gf for evening out.

Land Rover has managed to roll backwards across gravel parking area, through rose garden and has come to rest against a replica statue of Michaelangelo's Venus. Gf suggests sharp exit.......
And ... there's more!

I bought a brand spanking new Citroen BX16 TRS automatic but the Hydrowhatever suspenders was all new to me.
Coming back from Hastings one weekeend, I pulled into a garage and checked the Hydraulic fluid, which surprisingly was low, so I topped it up, but it was still reading low, so I topped it up again and again etc.,
All of a sudden there was Hydraulic fluid all over the ground :(
Funny things them Hydropneumatic suspension systems (to me anyway!)
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Aretas
Austin 1800 in the 60s. Took off radiator cap to check level and left cap on top of radiator. Started engine. Cap fell between the fan blades and the radiator and whirled around chewing up the rad as it went.
Took the ed's off my 3 ltr Capri, decoked, new gaskets, put it all back together, went to refit the distributor and the shaft fell off - right through into the sump :(
Daftest things you've done..or not. - bostin
Managed to get a hire car stuck in Strangford Lough last year whilst trying to avoid reversing down a track. Tide came up & car filled up with water in footwells and exhaust underwater. Had the foresight to keep the engine running till a tractor eventually pulled it out. 6 hours later returned it to airport (interior touch try!) & was only charged the breakdown fee. Twas lucky.......
I was checking TDC with a Biro through the sparkplug hole on an OHC Cortina and the top of the pen came orf (hehe!)
I started it up (bang, bang, bang etc.,)
It cleared (burnt off) eventually.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - 1400ted
Similar thing to others, drained the sump of a MK1 Renault 5. Filled it up with oil and finished the service. Customer came back a week later with a noisy gearbox..Whoops ! No oil in box twice as much in sump. Filled the box and all was well. Phew. Gearbox in front of engine...deceptive.

Left brick sized phone on top of service van when leaving for a job....found the bits later on the main road....expensive too, in those days !

Ted
Daftest things you've done..or not. - gordonbennet
I've done many really stupid things but an unusual one was..had to be up at 4.30 am ish for work, so up i get wash, clean teeth, grab a bit of breakfast take cup of tea to swmbo in insulated cup for when she wakes, all the usual stuff.

Off i go...get about half way to work the phone goes...where are you love?...on the way to work sweety...it's only 1am (or thereabouts)....uh ok....u turn and back to bed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/12/2009 at 23:22

Daftest things you've done..or not. - stunorthants26
When I was learning my trade, we cleaned the cars in an old showroom on the site. One day, I wasnt feeling well ( temp 103 ) - turned out I had the start of meningitis! Got the cars in by way of a sliding glass door. End of the day, could barely keep my head up, dropped into an MGF id just finished cleaning, checked mirrors, threw it in reverse and drove straight throw a plate glass window.
I spent the following week in hospital though and manager was a bit sheepish when I got back, esp as I pointed out that I was at work that day due to his bullying of people taking time off ill - I said that sometimes people really ARE ill! They also put a film on the windows obscure the view in and make it easier to know when the door is open.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - David Horn
gordonbennet - I've done almost exactly that, although fortunately I figured it out while having my breakfast (at 2.30am, after showering and preparing for a 6am flight...) and not when arriving at a closed airport!
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Chicken Vindaloo
Just after I passed my test I was put in charge of routine maintenance on my Mum's car - you know, tyre pressures, oil level etc. This was before the days of sealed batteries so occasionally it was out with the distilled water for a top up. One weekend I wasn't really paying attention and overfilled one of the chambers. "I know", I thought, "I'll take the pipe of the end of the water bottle and suck the overfill out". The "Battery Acid meets inside of mouth" moment wasn't great I can assure you!
Daftest things you've done..or not. - bintang
In 2008, bought a shed on wheels called a Skoda Fabia. Sold it after 6 months/4000 miles. Big loss, silly me.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - tyro
Wow! You guys have done some really interesting daft things. The daftest things I've ever done are all boring, and all come into one of three categories:

a) took a corner too fast
b) emerged from a junction without looking
c) took my eye off the road (or the car in front) for a couple of seconds.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Clanger
Oh dear; more than the Backroom server can accommodate I fear.

1976 Fiat 128 Rallye. H, the DIY expert, was giving the motor a dose of Redex. Part of the treatment is to squirt some neat Redex into the bores, spin the engine on the starter with the plug holes filled with rag to absorb the excess. Because I was doing plugs and points as well the dissy cap was off. The rag had popped out of the plug hole and landed on the dissy. The starter churned the rag itself into a tight wad round the dissy shaft, wrecking the plate and springs of the advance/retard mechanism. It took hours to extract the rag from the dissy body. The car was immobile until I got new bits for it.

1978 Renault 16TX. My ex-housemate moved into a house in Cookridge, Leeds with a pit in the garage. Eager to service that car somewhere else other than the street, I turned up with toolkit, spares and oil. Manoeuvring in the confines of the garage I felt one front wheel slip off the edge of the pit. I could hold it on the footbrake but the handbrake wouldn't. I tried to set off by heeling and toeing but the front wheel spun on the edge of the pit. I blew the horn. Mate came out eventually and built up the pit cover of wooden beams under the wheel.

Embarrassment says stop here ...
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Bedhead

I let my ex wife, who couldn't drive, move my Granada Scorpio, start the car, put it in "D", release handbrake, gently push accelerator, how hard can it be?

So she starts the car, so far so good, selects D, releases the handbrake, and the car starts creeping forward, for some reason she mashes the loud pedal and my beloved Scorp is wheelspinning up the yard.

Fortunately she hit the brake equally hard and nearly put herself through the windscreen!

Buying a Rover 800 was a bad move when it dropped a valve.

Buying a second one was an even worse move, the belt tensioner disintegrated. Bang.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - henry k
Went to the tip with loads of stuff on the roof rack from clearing out in-laws pad.
Ignored the height restriction and there was a loud bang and hey presto through flow ventilation on the Cortina.
Part of the roof rack with contents still attached has gone through the rear window.
A new window was fitted and then I found that my carefully fitted Hella third brake light no longer mated with the profile of the replacement window.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Lud
Rover 10 (1934), Plymouth, mid fifties. My father wanted to put Cords multiple rings on the pistons. We left the crankcase in and lifted the block off the pistons, put the rings on in situ and then put the block back onto the pistons, closing the rings one by one with a screwdriver until all the pistons were back in the bores. One of the most fraught jobs ever, but after that you know that with ingenuity and patience almost anything is possible.

It ran OK afterwards, but the steering was so lethal that he didn't keep the car long.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - zookeeper
now this is stupid.....my son had a problem with his airfix (thunderbird 2) model as the wing sections kept coming apart....after the third repair i got a bit miffed..so at repair number 4 i decided to seal the deal with super glue...applied glue to components and snapped them together.....excess glue hit me straight in the eye, didnt even hit the eye lash....misses took me staight down the a&e...4 hours later all bandaged up and left, the next morning the glue had seperated from my eyeball....unlike the time whilst using a stihl saw to cut steam pipes in a cellar... steel splinter got me in the other eye...back to a&e
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Mr.Tee43
Looking back, this could have killed me or badly burnt me, but it didn't. I certainly learned a lesson though.

At the time, my mate and me were in our 20's and we had a building in which we used to mess about, buying, fixing cars and doing the odd repair for the neighbours. In this garage we decided that we needed to build an inspection pit so as to be able to fix things underneath the cars.

We dug and built it ourselves, complete with electric lighting and a power supply for our tools if needed.The problem we had with this pit is that every time it rained, because our doorway was at the bottom of a slope and also because of the ground water level, the damn thing would fill up with water halfway and often reach the lights which we had recessed into pit, covering the lights. We were forever emptying that pit and sometimes the lights would "fizz" a bit. I should also mention that the size of the pit meant that we had to climb down into it by way of an old wooden ladder with a couple of rungs missing and then pull the vehicle forward over the top of us so blocking off our exit until the car or whatever was pushed back.

One day a women who lived up the road who had a Fiat 127 asked me to have a look at it as she could often smell petrol, so I got down the pit, handbrake off and pulled the car over me and found that her petrol tank was severely corroded. She agreed a new petrol tank, so next day, I set about the task and decided that I should drain the petrol into a drum with a funnel stuck into the top.

Now picture the scene.Me down the pit on my own, the car over the top of me, lights "fizzing" and petrol streaming from the tank dropping about 3/4 foot into the drum. All was going well until after about 5 minutes I started to feel a bit giddy. I then realised what was going on.

The petrol was doing an efficient job of mixing with the air and filling up the pit with an explosive mix of petrol vapour.

I rolled the car back and got out of that pit quicker than I had ever done before, switched the lights off and ran outside and waited.

Nothing happened, but looking back I think what could have been and it still makes me shudder to this day.

Edited by Mr.Tee43 on 25/12/2009 at 17:24

Daftest things you've done..or not. - nortones2
With friends, was showing local lass how to start a BSA Bantam. Engine running, into gear. She bunny hopped, throttle open, until she ran into wall. Bruised tender bits, but nothing serious. Showed to think of consequences if it all went wrong. And not to play in confined spaces!
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Pugugly
Odd reaction from a lass !
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Sofa Spud
I was fitting some new wiper blades, which is a simple but slightly fiddly job. My fingers slipped and the metal wiper arm snapped back against the windscreen, cracking it badly enough to need a replacement for the imminent MOT test.

But there's more. The windscreen replacement company asked if it was on my insurance. My insurance didn't cover windscreen replacements. The fitter explained that they charge insurance companies about double what they charge private individuals!
We used to fit quite a few Weber conversions to replace the dreaded Ford VV and my mate fitted one to a Cortina Mk5 2000, job done, he slammed the bonnet down and a large dent appeared in said bonnet - he'd fitted the wrong kit :(
Daftest things you've done..or not. - jag

power bulge ? jag.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Brentus
Well somewhat embarrassed after all these years Humph, i may as well enter into the spirit of your thread. Many many years ago i lived with my fiance and her parents. They had a council house and round the back was a row of council garages. I got them to rent a garage and duly put my car in it. I then had an Austin 1300 my first car. Put the car away one evening, the next morning it wasn,t there. I rung the Police an officer came round. Showed him my empty garage, he then tried and opened the garage next door. To both of our suprises my car was in it. You can imagine my embarrassment, but surely this could have have been easily done. Imagine a row of say 20 identical grey galvanised garage doors. Go easy on me BR,s.
Back in the day's when it was illegal not to drink and drive, I came out of the pub, jumped into my Zephyr 4 Mk3 with my mate Kevin, stuck the key into the ignition, and realised it wasn't actually my Zephyr 4 at all, but one very similar parked in the same street :)
Daftest things you've done..or not. - Martin Devon
>>and realised it wasn't actually my Zephyr 4 at all but one very similar parked in the same street :)

Yeah yeah!!
Actually I believe him. I once drove a Cortina identical to mine from Kirkcaldy to Dunfermline and back. I had parked in the High St and returned to what I thought was my car.....Put it back as near to where I found it as I could and foxtrot oscared in my own car. Never heard any more about it.

How about things you have done but will absolutely not do again....

1/ "...think I'll take the rad cap off while the engine's still hot....a cloth will keep my hand safe..."

2/ "...think I'll jack both front wheels up at the same time....be OK to crawl under...."

3/ " I can pour this hot coffee no bother without stopping if I put the cup off the top of the flask between my legs...."
Collected some keys from a local garage to go and collect a Polo from No.6...not far from home. Opened it up, jumped in but it wouldn't start, key wouldn't turn in ignition.
Locked it, just going to ring the garage when I saw an identical car, actually in the drive of No.6...across the road...I had been at no. 9.....duhhhh
Nobody saw me !

Ted
Daftest things you've done..or not. - notathletic
Wanting to impress a group of girls who were waiting at a bus stop decided to jump start onto my Triumph Tiger Cub (all 200cc of it). Misjudged it and fell off right at their feet. Their laughter still echoes in my ears.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - pda
Now that is funny, I bet you thought you were Agostini?:)

Pat
Daftest things you've done..or not. - jag

probably the only way to start a triumph, should have bought a bsa,lol. jag.
Daftest things you've done..or not. - ForumNeedsModerating
I've waited 30-odd years to confess this: I tried to 'fix' a flat battery on my second motorcycle by connecting direct mains supply to the battery to help speed things up - it nearly exploded! I didn't try to claim on my insurance btw - apart from the honesty aspect - I was simply too embarrassed...

I claim the Darwin Award for this thread I think.

Similarly notathletic, One frosty but sunny day in January in the late 1970's I handbraked my Spitfire into a parking space, roof down, at uni right by a bus stop at which were alighting some ladeeez of my aquaintance. Feeling confident after having achieved that and resplendent in 501s, cowboy boots and and sheepskin WW2 replica flying jacket I foolishly decided to continue the performance by leaping out of the car without opening the door.

The scenario unravelled badly at that point. I had quite overlooked the fact that the driver's side window was in the up position. I caught the top of the window with my cowboy boot mid leap, smashed it and swan dived on to the rather steep and frosty car park. Having built up some momentum I slid down the car park on my face and came to rest under a yellow Skoda Estelle belonging to a spotty youth called Gary who I think was doing engineering.

The girls I had intended to impress were by now unable to breath and were holding one another up and pointing in my direction.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 27/12/2009 at 18:36

Daftest things you've done..or not. - freddy1
< I slid down the car park on my face and came to rest under a yellow Skoda Estelle belonging to a spotty youth called Gary who I think was doing engineering.
>

many yrs later , i remember that?

how we laughed
Daftest things you've done..or not. - teabelly
Humph:

Glorious! So glad I wasn't eating or drinking anything while I read it though as I'd have splattered the screen or choked to death laughing or both..... beats me leaving the oil filler cap off and stupidly starting the car in first gear. Oh and driving with the handbrake left on. Small beer in comparison!
Daftest things you've done..or not. - old crocks
>>cowboy boots and a sheepskin WW2 replica flying jacket

Maybe they were laughing at your inappropriate footwear?
Daftest things you've done..or not. - WellKnownSid
Aged 17, it was always a mystery to me why Haynes manuals stated "Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery" as the very first item. Why the first item? And why always the -ve terminal? Hell, why disconnect the battery at all?

I'd unhooked a fuel line near the carb to replace something, and the engine bay of my Cortina was now stinking of petrol. Then I decided now was probably a good time to disconnect the battery.

The socket was duly attached to the positive terminal, and the handle rotated until it touched something metal (obviously still earthed). There was a bright flash and a pop, as I created a dead short across the battery with the socket driver handle completing the circuit.

It took a few seconds to realise what I'd done. It took a few more seconds to realise what I COULD have done.
I stuck the jump leads on a Lada 1200 outside Manchester Cathedral and blew the top offc the battery........caught a lot in my face !

Driver of a friend's wedding car business started to crank over the Rolls 20hp Thrupp and Maberley Landaulette on the handle as the happy couple were posing by it for piccies.
In 1st gear, it ran over him, front to back. He chased and caught it and returned to the church with a black front to his white coat and face !

I've decanted petrol from a 5 gallon jerrycan into a smaller can........then realised I had a lit cigar in my mouth !

Ted
Daftest things you've done..or not. - oilrag
I once motored south to the tip of Flamborough head in a small inflatable in search of fish and stopped the engine.
At this point in the space of 2 seconds I realized the peril I was in.
1) There was a tide rip of around 4 knots that was continuing to take me around the head. 2) There was rough looking water a few hundred yards further on.
3) After passing through that and around the head, I would in minutes, be off Bridlington bay and several miles off shore.

This was a good, but small 7` inflatable with a small British Seagull outboard and the fact that it fired up at the first desperate pull, likely saved me. No anchor you see. Bad that. And the sea looked so rough just beyond the shallow water tide race off the head it looked as though I would have to toss the engine over the side and lay flat in the boat bottom to avoid being upended.
This is a true story of aged 17yrs and I still don`t like to think about it.

After that - I bought 150` of rope and a larger than really needed anchor - and always fished South of Flamborough head in the protection of Bridlington bay.

Edited by oilrag on 28/12/2009 at 06:46

Daftest things you've done..or not. - ifithelps
...that cloth will hold the hot radiator cap...

Did a motorway breakdown on a Saab 99.

Arrived at the car on the hard shoulder and it was clear it was very hot - I could smell the heat a few yards away.

Explained to the owner that, before anything else, we needed to let it cool down a bit.

He was an impatient, go-ahead type and took a rag I was holding and started to release the rad cap.

I shouted 'no' just as he lost control of the cap and, fortunately for him, stepped back.

At this point, it's worth remembering Saab 99 bonnets are hinged at the front.

The jet of scalding water shot about 10ft into the air, there being nothing to stop it.

We eventually found the radiator cap somewhere on the motorway embankment.

Edited by ifithelps on 28/12/2009 at 08:53