Buying my first car - my experience - Jcoventry
Last year, I went looking at old Ford Fiesta Mk5s to buy my first car. First I went to see was a Y reg Fiesta Flight 1.3 in White, around 10,000 miles on the clock, supposed to be 1 previous owner, an old guy.

The salesman started the engine with the bonnet open, let me have a quick look at the car. Then I test drove it. It drove like new, as a car with only 10,000 miles on it should do. But the interior appeared to be in poor condition. Glovebox wouldn't shut properly. Seats were quite worn. Overall the car seemed decent.

The problem was the paperwork - only had 2 or 3 MOTs out of 5 it should have had, if I recall correctly. Logbook was missing. Owner's handbook was missing. No original invoice from when the old guy bought the car new. There were some "receipts", just scribbles on scrappy bits of paper. The trader claimed these were from the previous owner. Now, keeping all this in mind...this car was actually advertised as having a "full service history"!

I did do an AA data check on this car, cost me £30 or something silly, it checked out OK. Being as foolish as I was, not having a clue what I was doing, I paid the seller a £50 deposit. I was so excited about finally getting a car, that I just I didn't put much thought into the lack of paperwork until later. Yes, I know, very dumb. After a week of arguing with the seller, he refunded the deposit, but only after I threatened him with the police!

So why did I threaten him with the police? Well here comes the 'dodgy' bit, in my opinion. This seller has a forecourt with probably something like 20 cars at any one time. All of them are quite old, but all low miles - in the region of 10,000-20,000 miles. And this guy is snip - given your nickname not so hard to identify from the detail! Now, when on the phone disputing the lack of paperwork, I actually questioned the mileage on the car. This is when he got very aggressive with me, seemed to be very much insulted that I suggested he was winding back the odometers on his cars!

So, that was that. So then I went to visit another trader. This time a 2003 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25. This car was mint inside and out. The paperwork was all there - logbook, manual, all expected documents. But the problem this time was the salesman. He couldn't stop repeating that it had "original mats" - he mentioned it like 5 times. When I opened the bonnet to check the oil level/condition, he got all funny - "what are you doing, is that cloth clean?". He also tried on the "I've been selling cars for 20 years...blah blah blah..." crap.

So, he left us with the car (me and my mother). You would think he left us with it because he wanted us to check it out. But no, he locked it, and then walked off back to the office. So, we went inside, and I asked for a test drive.

He continued with his hesitant attitude, saying "Well, we get quite a few time wasters sometimes, so we require a deposit before a test drive.". At this point, my mum just said "Forget it, lets go." So we walked out. The salesman followed us, saying "You are missing out on a great deal here!!". We kept walking, and then after 1-2 minutes on another road, the salesman pulls up in a car! He winds down the window, saying "You can test drive it! You can test drive it if you want!". We were both absolutely astonished, and obviously kept on walking.

So after that mess, we decided to goto a main Ford dealer. Eventually bought a new '08 reg Ford Ka! Yes, quite a change from what I was looking at before. Never intended to buy brand new, but thats the way it worked out in the end. The buying experience was completed with no problems. Aftersales service is something else, but I won't go off-topic and this thread is already lengthly enough as it is. I don't regret what I ended up doing.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Edited by Pugugly on 23/12/2009 at 22:23

Buying my first car - my experience - zookeeper
TMI.....too much infor....you know
Buying my first car - my experience - bathtub tom
Listen to your mum kiddo, it seems she's a very savvy person.

Oh if only my sprogs were the same!
Buying my first car - my experience - Mr.Tee43
Similar.

My daughter was given an old Ford Ka as her first car after passing her driving test. After a couple of years driving including LOTS of welding to get through the MOTs, she decided she wanted a Renault Clio.

So after looking at about 4 different second hand cars, all with faults, bodywork repairs,a car with 3 different makes of cheap budget fitted, she got disheartened.

Then Alistair Darling anounced the extended scrappage scheme which meant her Ka qualified for the £2000. She scrapped it against a lovely Suzuki Swift 1.5 GLS to which we haggled a good price complete with some rather nice allow wheels in place of the boring standard items and a colour coded rear hatch spoiler all finished off in a rather nice metallic grey paint.

She bought in on the 3 year 0% finance after paying I think £1300 deposit.

Result, one happy daughter and one nice shiney and (hopefully) reliable car.
Buying my first car - my experience - gordonbennet
The secondhand car market really does have some unsavoury characters at the sharp end, all they're missing is a violin case, fedora, spats, shoulder pads and George Coles' moustache from the St Trinians (proper) films.

Buying my first car - my experience - George Porge
So long as there is the current mindset that high mileage means avoid the unscrupulous will clock cars, this isn't only done by dealers but also private sellers.

Buy on condition, not the newest plate or lowest mileage.

Fact, there are people out there who waste traders time every day of the year by test driving cars they never intend to buy, respect is a 2 way street.
Fact there are people out there who waste traders time every day of the year
by test driving cars they never intend to buy respect is a 2 way street.

Yes, but who in their right mind pays a deposit before a test drive? I'd also like to meet the people who have the time to waste test driving old Fiestas if they don't intend to buy. Now a more exciting car like a Range Rover Sport or some convertible, yes maybe you'd test drive that for fun. But an old Fiesta?

Edited by Jcoventry on 24/12/2009 at 07:57

Buying my first car - my experience - dieselfitter
Is the definition of 'timewaster' anyone who doesn't buy the first car they see?
In other words, zookeeper, you're too lazy/don't feel like reading the whole post.
Buying my first car - my experience - Mapmaker
You must have been unlucky. I've been to look at - and bought - a fair few elderly cars in my time. And I have never found a dealer like the ones you describe.

I did buy a car from a bloke which drank oil at the rate of a pint every ten miles, and he took it back and refunded me.

Fully priced cars, yes. But most dealers at that end of the market throw you (me) the keys and tell you (me) to help myself to a test drive if I wish.
>>>>>But most dealers at that end of the market throw you (me) the keys and tell you (me) to help myself to a test drive if I wish.>>>>>>>

Maybe for you yes, but a young lad arriving on foot with his mum
Yes this definitely had something to do with it. The first guy knew we didn't know what we were doing really. Next time I'll be so much more prepared, I know what to expect now, and know what to look out for as well. Doesn't help that my dad wouldn't help when we were looking at cars.
Buying my first car - my experience - Mapmaker
A young lad, yes. A young lad with his mother is a sure sale - surely?

Whilst boys may enjoy tyre kicking, mothers tend to prefer going to the hairdresser etc. If I saw that pairing, I'd be all over them like a rash and would expect to close a sale.

I guess, though, it's the same "I cannot be bothered to get off my chair in my warm office so go and look at it yourself if you wish" attitude that I noted.

Personally I'm a great fan of small-time traders. My last motor came from one such - and he stood there in the frost and snow whilst I went over it.

Edited by Mapmaker on 24/12/2009 at 11:22

>>>>>>> A young lad with his mother is a sure sale - surely?
>>>>>>>>

Or a burnt out clutch, scrape down the side. Speak to a few sales boys about newly qualified drivers and their test drives from hell..........................................
Speak to a few sales boys about newly qualified drivers and their test drives from hell.

My drive test drive of the white Fiesta went fine. But my test drives at the main Ford dealer... I think I really scared the salesman. I stalled many times and almost went through a red light.
Buying my first car - my experience - hjd
As the mother of an almost 17 year old son, I can only say I don't fit your stereotype - going to the hairdresser is nothing like my idea of fun. When I have been looking at cars with my son, any trader who was all over us and expected a sale would be sorely disappointed.
Anyone who patronises me will not make a sale either...
Buying my first car - my experience - gordonbennet
- going to the hairdresser is nothing like my idea of
fun.

swmbo doesn't fit it either...we test drove a big MB diesel a few years ago, we asked if it was ok for the good woman to give it some clog as it was for her and she's er enthusiastic...he said drive as you would normally...bet he's never said that again.;)

We didn't buy it, she noticed far too many discrepencies 'tween mileage, service history and wear rate on the interior, far better at such things than i am...is that usual are women better detectives with such things?
Buying my first car - my experience - Bill Payer
This seller has a forecourt with probably something like 20 cars at any one time. All of them >> are quite old but all low miles - in the region of 10 000-20 000 miles.

Would be worth a call to Trading Standards rather that the Police. Although if what you say is true then he'll be well known to them.
Eventually bought a new '08 reg Ford Ka!

When my kids finished uni I helped them both buy new cars (they paid most of the cost). I really couldn't be done with traipsing around used car lots or visiting private sellers. Having said that, the car bought for oldest daughter, a SEAT Ibiza, has broken down several times and has need unexpected repairs to get it through MOTs.
Buying my first car - my experience - jbif
Some responses on this thread remind me of Harry Enfiled's character Marcus - the owner of the Notting Hill shop "I Saw You Coming" - and his posh customer(s).

Buying my first car - my experience - WellKnownSid
All of them are quite old but all low miles - in the
region of 10 000-20 000 miles.

Unless they were genuine classic cars, there is definately something wrong there!

I thought the law had toughened up on the Arthur Daley's of this world?
Buying my first car - my experience - DP
It is the obsession with mileage in this country which keeps sharks like this in business. People will pay more for a shonky car with no history and 20,000 miles on the odometer than a straight one with a proven history documenting a cost-no-object approach to maintenance by careful owners, but with 80,000 miles on the clock.

Based on my (limited) experience selling cars privately, a lot of people don't do any more than glance at the service history. When we sold our Scenic, I put all the invoices and receipts for everything together, neatly paper-clipped in chronological order, in a nice plastic folder to go with the stamped service book. The buyer who handed me nearly 6 grand for the car didn't even open it. Had a similar experience selling a Polo and a Mazda MX-5.

Well done to the OP for walking away, but the fact these traders are still in business proves that many don't. It's why I don't care that the VW tech who services our Golf on a cash in hand basis doesn't stamp the book. The car is maintained to the absolute highest standard, but I can't prove it. Experience tells me I won't need to.

Edited by DP on 24/12/2009 at 21:28