96 1.25 Car reverses without lifting the clutch - dove49
When I put my car into reverse it works fine, but if I reverse then let the car roll again and reverse again etc, the more times I do this the less I have to let the clutch up and eventually the car will end up reversing whilst my foot has pushed the clutch pedal right to the floor and it even over powers my brake and then eventually stalls, at this point my gear stick is stuck in reverse and will only free up once my foot has left the clutch. All my other gears are fine, it just seems to be reverse, any ideas what this could be??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2009 at 00:52

96 1.25 Car reversing without even lifting the clu - Peter.N.
I'm pretty sure that its doing this in all gears, but in reverse probably being the lowest it is most noticable. The problem is fairly typical of a failing clutch master cylinder, assuming you have a hydraulic clutch. If you don't, I have no idea.
96 1.25 Car reversing without even lifting the clu - dove49
I did notice it a couple of times in first but only after it had been in reverse. I do have a hydraulic clutch but it was brand new 6 months ago
96 1.25 Car reversing without even lifting the clu - Peter.N.
Have you checked the fluid level or is it one of the sealed variety? What happens is that fluid leaks back past the piston in the master cylinder and after long periods of operation ends up the wrong side of the piston. I think the reason you notice it more in reverse is that you are likely to have your foot on the pedal for longer.
96 1.25 Car reversing without even lifting the clu - dove49
If the problem is only intermittent is it something that I can ride round with?? I cnt really afford this before xmas??
96 1.25 Car reversing without even lifting the clu - Cris_on_the_gas
I would get this sorted asap as sounds like this would happen in any gear and it will be expensive if you were to roll forward into another vehicle when in traffic. You say you had a new cluth 6 months ago, was that the master & slave cylinder as well as normally they change the friction plate in the clutch its self and leave the hydralics alone.
If's it just a seal in the master cyliner then shouldn't be too expensive to change, or it might just need a fluid top up.
96 1.25 Car reversing without even lifting the clu - pmh3
>>>>normally they change the friction plate in the clutch its self and leave the hydralics alone.<<<<<

No one in their right mind would NOT change the tthe master cylinder in this car!

>>>>If's it just a seal in the master cyliner then shouldn't be too expensive to change, or it might just need a fluid top up.<<<<<

It will be about the same price to change as a clutch since most of the work is labour!

About a 3 hr job.