Which car companies will be left in 10 years time? - brettmick
With the demise of Saab and others on their death beds and the governments of Europe legislating to make our cars clone-like and fuel efficient above all else I am left wondering who will still be standing in the mainstream in ten years time?

I would suggest we might have :
One French company (with Nissan); VAG; KIA/Hyundai; Ford (& Volvo?); Toyota (& Subaru?) and Beijing automotive (who I think will be selling us cheap Roewe 75's and the Saab technologies they have just picked up).

I wonder where Opel or its offspring might be? Can BMW continue to be independent? Will Honda stay on its own? Will we have a new company from no where selling us electric vehicles?

Any thoughts?
Which car companies will be left in 10 years time? - Avant
I posted the following on a 'disappearing marques' thread further down. The mods may want to amalgamate these.

A few years ago Prof. Garel Rhys said that eventually there would be only six motor manufacturers in the world - plus Morgan.

I tried googling his name but can't find the reference. Any ideas of which six he would have gone for, and by which date? - my guess would be:

Ford
VAG
Toyota
Honda
Kia/Hyundai
GM (he might by now have changed his mind on this one, or been prescient and never named them)
If so the other one might perhaps be Nissan / Renault.

Maybe one or more Chinese companies will be among the survivors.

Edited by Avant on 20/12/2009 at 01:05

Which car companies will be left in 10 years time? - LikedDrivingOnce
I reckon that the US and French governments will act to protect their car industry, and probably the Japanese as well.
So I reckon....
- A French National Company (PSA, Renault, Nissan)
- A US National Company (Ford/GM/Chrysler)
- Toyota (Having swallowed all the other Japanese brands)
- One or more large Chinese companies
- VAG (enlarged with Opal & Fiat)
- Mercedes (having hopefully also swallowed up BMW)
- Tata
- Ferrari
- Kia/Hyundai
Which car companies will be left in 10 years time? - Rattle
I agree with about apart from

1) Ford will always be successful enough be their own company. Even after all I have bene through I still have a soft spot for Fords. Ford are much stronger than the other American crap. In fact GM are strong now too, but Chrysler they will either merge with Ford or GM or even a Chineese firm. SIAC?

2) Ferrari could never make it by them selves long term, they always need to be backed by FIAT etc. Maybe Ferrari could be a VAG brand?

Which car companies will be left in 10 years time? - jc2
Fiat will always be one(Italian gov. would not let it fail).I thought Ferrari was already part of Fiat!! And remember Ford is still a family business.

Edited by jc2 on 20/12/2009 at 09:16

Which car companies will be left in 10 years time? - SlidingPillar
And the only British car company to celebrate 100 years of production still in the ownership of the same families, Morgan.

OK small fry but they are there.

Soichiro Honda would have said similar I think.
Which car companies will be left in 10 years time? - rtj70
A few years ago Prof. Garel Rhys said that eventually there would be only six motor
manufacturers in the world - plus Morgan.

Was that something Richard Parry-Jones said?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Parry-Jones

Edited by rtj70 on 20/12/2009 at 09:51