Mondeo starting problem - Benjamin
Another Mondeo diesel starting problem.

I recently took my 1999 Mondeo TD to a main Ford dealer for starting problems.
The car requires turning over for some 15 seconds or so before it will start, and then I get a cloud of white smoke from the exhaust. I can make it start much quicker by letting the glow plugs time out completely i.e.: some 15 seconds or so re start again, this time it starts within a couple of seconds.
The dealer tell me they checked the glow plugs compression etc and that the fault was a diaphragm on the fuel pump, £140. this made no difference at all, after various other checks they decided that the fuel injector pump is faulty but due to the costs involved suggested I run the car as it is.
I would welcome any advise, I honestly believe that the dealer is guessing, although the car has done 140k miles the fuel pump was replaced by them some 19 months ago, and apart from this problem the car runs very well and returns some 50mpg.

Benjamin
Monde starting problem - AndyT
Sounds as if one or more of the glow plugs have gone. If you are in any way technically inclined, remove the link wire/bar from all of the plugs and check for a circuit thru each plug. If you are not able to do this,it may be quite cost-effective to just install a new set, especially considering the miles already covered.

Compression may be an issue, but I wouldn't have thought so at this mileage if the oil has been changed regularly.
The glow plugs were taken out and each one connected to a battery, they all seemed to get hot. I had purchased a new set of plugs from Halfords, these were in fact longer than the plugs from my car, so I assumed I had purchased the wrong ones and returned them. But in saying that why should my car start easily after a prolonged glow plug heating time?

Benjamin
Mondeo starting problem - IanT
I had a similar problem some years ago, but I tried a number of fixes and I'm not absolutely sure which ended up being the final cure. I *think* it was the battery.

The argument is that the battery needs to be in top condition to give the very high current needed by the glow plugs. The battery might have enough oomph to turn the engine with no obvious problems, but still not be heating the plugs to their maximum temperature. Prolonging the heating time will allow the plugs to get hotter.
I have tried another battery and that made no difference at all. What I cannot understand is that cold starts with two glow plug warm ups the car starts within two seconds, but hot starts are not as good!
Mondeo starting problem - spar65
I have exactly the same problems with my 1999 Mondeo Benjamin. I have tryed replacing the glowplugs, and had the car checked out for all the obviouse faults but still no joy, The one thing I have noticed is on the fuel pump there is another cable which leads down to a selonoid under the battery tray, on mine this wasn't working but after a bit of DIY it is now working fine, except I hav'nt got a clue how to adjust the cable which leads from the selonoid to the pump...

This selenoid seems to adjust itself to the revs of the engine and pulls a small lever on the pump in conjunction to the throttle, I have found Benjamin that It has slightly improved starting since the repair and probably would be alot better with the proper adjustments, This may well be the problem with your mondeo...

Tony
Mondeo starting problem - Alan Clark
I had the same starting problem last year. New glow plugs worked for me. Would tend to discount the battery as it obviously cranks and starts albeit eventually (although it has been replaced I note). Maybe, just maybe the glow plugs were too short?? The replacement ones being the correct length?? If the car runs well, I would suggest the pump etc are in good order as it, you would think, reduce performance at higher fuel flows.
Alan Clark.