Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - FotheringtonThomas
I'm cursing the ABS again, now that we've got a little snow. I can't switch it off, but I was told that "If you apply the handbrake until the light just comes on, it will switch off the ABS". Is this true? If there's enough snow later, I'll try it, but has anyone an answer now?
Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - injection doc
Nope but you could take the fuse out. early Audi quattros use to have a switch for the ABS so you could turn it off for snow, how brilliant is that!
That's very good. I'd *love* to be able to switch off the ABS in my old Accord.
Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - Bill Payer
If there's enough snow later I'll try it but has anyone an answer now?

I wonder where that idea came from? It *could* be true as the car might take the handbrake on lamp as meaning the car had stopped and on cars that use the same brake caliper for service and hand brake you wouldn't want the ABS kicking in when stopped.

I read in a big article on ABS on a US website that ABS doesn't work below 10MPH - no idea if that's true either, but it does occur to me that one you jump on the brakes in an ABS assisted stop, the car wouldn't really know what its true road speed was.
Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - movilogo
Why do you like to turn ABS off??
I read in a big article on ABS on a US website that ABS doesn't work below 10MPH

In my car (2006 Suzuki Ignis) ABS does kick in below 10 mph - just found in today morning :)
Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - RichardW
"Why do you like to turn ABS off??"
Cos in the snow, the best way to stop is lock the wheels so that they dig into the snow, bank it up in front of them, and work their way through to the tarmac - ABS stops this, and the brakes can become worse than useless.... ABS is NOT a panacea!
Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - theterranaut
Richard,

I'm not sure that would always be the case. Snow will bank up, sure, but it will also compress.
Looking at the tyre tracks my car left this morning, there's a hard-packed layer of snow on the base. I cant say that I'd be entirely sure that the tyres could always break through to reach tarmac.
Why do you like to turn ABS off??

Because when it's snowy or icy, I can brake better without it.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 18/12/2009 at 12:23

Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - dxp55
FT

like this. good man

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP28pbcz4tM
(ABS off)
FT >> like this. good man

No! They're on a slight slope, "tramlining" with their wheels locked up, in each and every case, if I've taken enough notice of the clip. The relaxed chappie in the red car is the best of 'em. You'd think they'd know better, living in a snowy place.

My ABS is so old, it's called "ALB" - however, in these conditions, I'd still like to have it "off", as it's dangerous IMO.
Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - Altea Ego
ABS in genrral is not dangerous in this weather. In the last two heavy snowfalls its cuased me no problems at all.
Ice, snow, ABS and the handbrake. - Big Bad Dave
Nice one dxp55. I particularly enjoyed two donkeys who tried to jump out of their car before it hit the one in front. What do you think is more likely to get you killed? A 5mph shunt in the snow or being run over by your own motor? Fantastic.