04 1.2 Engine Problem - Corsa
Hello,

Please could you advise me of the following. On a corsa c there is a warning light on the dashboard that comes on when you turn it on. It looks like an engine symbol.

I have looked at my manual and it says that Its to do with the exhaust emissions?

I have been having ongoing issues with a loud tapping noise coming from the engine and when I took it into a garage for its MOT i said it may be the tappets. I was advised that the tappetts on this type of vehicle are hydraulic and nothing can be done with them. I was advised that this is normal for this to happen.

Over the past couple of months I have been getting a warning light on my dash the same one as above and I took it into the garage. They said that its to with the engine so they plugged it in to a reader and it was misfiring so they cleaned the spark plugs and aparently it went off.

I have not had the light coming back on since but I recently broke down and on inspection from the recovery guy it looked like the camshaft nearest to the exhaust manifold was at an angle and the bearing was loose, suspecting a snapped camshaft. This happened on the motorway at 70mph which wasn't great.
The car has done over 70,000 miles.

I suspect that the loud ticking rattling noise that I reported was actually the loose bearing holders that hold the camshaft in and the engine emissions light was coming on due to the fact that it was loose and wasn't operating correctly.

I have been advised that I now need to possibly have a new engine fitted.
Has anyone else had these sort of problems with there corsa.
04 1.2 Engine Problem - track
I work in a breakers yard and can confirm the cams snapping or the lobes having very excessinve wear on one of these engines is a common fault. the cams will set you back around £400 from the dealers if the rest of the engine is ok. Is the car a twinport engine? To help you search for an engine have your engine code to hand.
If its a twinport its a Z12XEP , if its not then its Z12XE. The engines are relatively hard to find good ones in breakers and can demand quite high prices. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
04 1.2 Engine Problem - piston power
When was the oil and filter last changed?

Had one snap on a mates car the astra 8v due to poor maintenance.
04 1.2 Engine Problem - topbloke
think that you need to look here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=78...9
04 1.2 Engine Problem - Corsa
The car has had a service in may this year and MOT in june with no problems.

When it went into the garage on the MOT I mentioned the tapping noise but nothing could be done with that they said.

Recently the exhaust emission light has been coming on so it has been in for that which I suspect is related to the problem I have now got that was aparently sorted and I was advised to bring it back in if it comes on again, but the only time it has come on since, is when I had this problem.

I just don't understand how a vehicle that has been serviced on a regular basis and well looked after & maintained has been in the garage for problems but has aparently nothing wrong with it and to now be told that it will require a new engine.

The engine isnt the twinport version.