Darwinism in action - sierraman
Wandering around today I came across a bloke working on his car.I could hear a noise which made me think he was doing something underneath with an angle grinder,but as I got closer I could see he had nothing more than a file in his hands.What he had done was taken the wheels off his car and put it on axle stands,although not necessarily in that order,started the engine,put it in gear and knelt with his head in the wheelarch whilst holding the file to the disc.I wonder if he returned his discs to 'as new'condition,so he has the opportunity to wonder why they sheared at the hub,or has he now got a massive headache from the pink fluffy dice (technical term) file stuck in it .
Maybe related to this guy.

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/sierraman/NoHoist....g

{link corrected. DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/12/2009 at 13:47

Darwinism in action - bathtub tom
Removing the lip from his discs?

Glass houses, stones. Have you tried your tinyurl link?
Darwinism in action - 1400ted
Hey .........that's mine !!!

Ted
Darwinism in action - Blue {P}
Erm, thank you for pointing everyone at my Photobucket which hosts a selection of photos of my various cars over the last couple of years, but I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the point that you're making!

Darwinism in action - Blue {P}
Actually, just realised that I haven't yet posted the details of my new motor to this forum (hey guys, I've got a new car!) so am particularly surprised that my account was accidentally(?) linked to, therefore if you do think that I have in some way won a Darwin award and am posting this from beyond the grave then please feel free to share :-)

In the meantime, I suppose I'd better show off the new wheels before people think I'm keeping it a secret lol.
Darwinism in action - oilrag
Sounds OK to me.... You also could mount a 1950`s bicycle dynamo so that the rotating disc drove it - then run a couple of wires into the house to light your torch bulb.

Energy to cost conversion and power delivery that wind farm engineers can only dream about. It`s a still night as the UK freezes and your old bike dynamo puts out more electricity than 100,000 - 300ft high wind turbines.

The first picture,no hoist.Do not see what you mean by 'Glass houses, stones',unless you are referring to the picture of a sill being fitted,no comparison as that was done in a safe and professional manner,as I have done many times before.
My points were,if discs are that badly lipped that he would feel the need to grind it down,it means they need replacing,I have seen badly worn discs shear at the hub under heavy braking.
Having a car supported and engine running and in gear is generally considered bad practice.
Holding a file against a rotating disc runs the risk of having it snatched from your hand and thrown with some force into part of your anatomy,especially when you are right in the wheelarch with no chance of moving out of the way.Knew I would have to spell it all out.
It seems that whoever clicks the link gets their own Photobucket page,do not know why that is,try again

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/sierraman/NoHoist....g

{Link now amended and should work. NB, it wasn't long enough to require being shortened with tinyurl - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/12/2009 at 13:45

Darwinism in action - b308
Still not working, S!

I agree with you btw, incredibly stupid actions... and how cheap are a new set of disks??!
Darwinism in action - Cliff Pope
If the face of the disc is still within specified thickness then it makes sense to remove the lip before fitting new pads. I've done that by rotating the wheel by hand and holding a file against the edge, or with an angle grinder. It does sound a bit scary though using the engine, but really I suppose it's just like using a lathe, only without a proper tool rest and doubtless gogles.

Darwinism in action - Dynamic Dave
Still not working S!

Now fixed. Not the 1st time this has been posted. IIRC, The Growler is at least one person who has previously posted this or a similar picture. DD.
Darwinism in action - gordonbennet
Got the picture now, thanks DD.

Nothing wrong with that, we used to tie a strong rope round the compete B pillar, over the roof and attach to heavy cars towball and drag the car being worked on over on to a pile of tyres...used to keep the towcar attached for safe working though.

Modern softies got too much money now, when you've got one wage coming in and the state doesn't raise your kids for you you have to cheaply fix your cars however you can...much like the bloke in the pic i daresay.
Darwinism in action - Old Navy
Modern softies got too much money now when you've got one wage coming in and
the state doesn't raise your kids for you you have to cheaply fix your cars
however you can>>

Maybe the current economic situation will bring some of the "modern softies" to appreciate the "fix it yourself or walk" generation. We can always live in hope.

Edited by Old Navy on 13/12/2009 at 16:02

Darwinism in action - Clanger
I've used the angle-grinder-car-in-gear technique to take off some bad pitting where the car had been stood for months, and again to finish off rusty disk edges. Once late on a Sunday and once when I wasn't prepared to put any more money into my daughter's car. It may be seriously frowned on by some 'elf'n'safety purists but it worked for me.

BTW Sierraman I can't make your link work, just get Photobucket login page.
Darwinism in action - gordonbennet
I can't make the link work either, but as for blocking a car up securely and running the vehicle to spin the wheels up, i've done so many times to check for puzzling vibrations and judders, though we did baulk at raising my lads Subaru on all 4 and spinning it up to 80 with tyres on to check for a niggly balance probelm;-)
Darwinism in action - ifithelps
...It seems that whoever clicks the link gets their own Photobucket page,do not know why that is,try again...

That's what I'm getting, and the 'try again' link doesn't work, either.

Darwinism in action - 1400ted
I got one of my own Photobucket pics initially...when I posted Hey, that's mine .
Now I get a small green truck held up by a couple of bits of 3X2 while a guy works under it .

Ted
Darwinism in action - old crocks
Picture now ok for me too.

I've done some silly things in my time but that is suicidal. The main prop is at too much of an angle to the vertical. If he sits up and catches it he could easily knock it out.

I'd be much happier with gb's method. I've seen single seater racing cars turned on their side, to work on the underside, and because of their low centre of gravity they will sit there on the two wheels with no other support!
I'm glad the picture got sorted,I have not had a problem with PB links before.
What got me with my chap was the kneeling with his head in the wheelarch,leaving himself nowhere to go and right in line with the disc.I always think it is a good idea to keep out of the line of fire,in case anything comes flying off.
Darwinism in action - dieseldogg
OK
I cheated.
I used axle stands, chocked the rear wheels etcetc
And used an angle grinder, a file is
(i) too risky
(ii) harder work
To clean up discs before now