99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - bigmacc1
Hi everyone,

Just noticed some scumbags nicked my Aerial Mast from my Focus, So looks like a trip to Bristol St Motors on Saturday to buy a new one, Iwas wondering if anyones has been successful and found anything ( Like Araldite or Loctite) to stop the thieving little pink fluffy dice {a member of some 3 yrs and you don't know about the no swearing policy?}

nicking the new one?? Hoping for some ideas..... Cheers Bigmacca.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/12/2009 at 21:54

99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - jc2
Putting Loctite or Araldite on it will deteriorate the AM reception.Take it off!!
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - 547HEW
I had the same experience with my 2001MY Mk IV Golf. I fitted the replacement with loctite and a very high tightening torque.

5 years later its still on there, and my medium wave reception is good. However I do appreciate the point JC2 makes re Loctite, and wonder if the high torque gave metal to metal contact?

I would just go for the high installation torque for now.
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - Simon
I wouldn't have thought that a tiny bit of Loctite would ruin the radio reception. You should still get a fair proportion of metal to metal contact on the threads I would assume.
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - bigmacc1

Cheers Guys for the replys, I think i will go with a dot of Loctite and a good tighten up.
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - Dave_TD
I've seen one of my neighbours removing / refitting the roof aerial on his 406 estate more than once...
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - bathtub tom
A certain shop sells naff replacements for a quid.

I can't remember what it's called!
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - Wurzel83
I too live in the Bristol area and have had the same problem on the same vehicle.

I decided against lock tight or similar because I was worried a theif would try and force it off and damage the roof or thread.

I have found 2 solutions:

1 - Take it off over night
2 - These aeriels are fitted to Fiestas, Curriors, Focuses and probably other Fords. A trip doen to my local scrap yard got me 3 spare aeriels for £2

Edited by Wurzel83 on 09/12/2009 at 23:10

99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - bell boy
bring back bi-fi
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - piston power
At home hook the aerial up to 240vac or even better 3 phase and let them try nicking it now!
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - Peter D
Not sure how 3 phase would work but both are illegal. Regards Peter
99 1.8 Preventing aerial mast from being stolen? - bell boy
Not sure how 3 phase would work but both are illegal. Regards Peter

>>>> what?
even if he pays the electricity bill for fried thief?