Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - Jcoventry
I am seriously considering taking my car to a local independent garage for my next service (2nd minor service) instead of taking it to a Ford garage. Ford charge £130 for an oil and filter change - rather steep if you ask me. goodness knows what they charge for a full major service.

So, how important are the dealer stamps? How much does it reduce the value of the car? (both private and trade-in value).

The other problem with using a local garage is that I won't be getting the stamp to keep the corrosion warranty valid. But I've read that corrosion warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. So again, how important is this?

Edited by Webmaster on 10/12/2009 at 01:01

Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - Altea Ego
It depends on

1/ When you want to sell it. After 6 years old ford or indie stamps - makes no odds to price or desireability
2/ If anything major goes wrong under warranty. You can moan as much as you like about your rights under EU regulations to get warranty items fixed in the thrid year, its gonna be difficult. And as for any good will gestures just out of warranty? forget it.

for saving 50 quid? get the important ford stamp in the book.,
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - danensis
I was told by my (Citroen) dealer that I could take my vehicle to any independent garage as long as their mechanics were Citroen trained, which luckily those at my local independent are.
They wont remember that in year three of warranty when something expensive goes wrong
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - s.v.u.

For what its worth, my Mercedes c class petrol automatic estate, bought new in 2003.
Two weeks to go on 3yr warranty , 2yrs and 50weeks to be precise, gearbox failed.
Car had not been back to main agent since I collected it on day of purchase, always serviced at very good independant garage, book stamped by them.
Main dealer never even asked to see service book, which I was carrying in my hand when car was taken in for replacement box, courtesy car provided for three days while replacement fitted. When car collected it was fully valeted.
When I asked how long was warranty on new gearbox was surprised to say the least when told, two weeks sir ! Make of this what you may !!
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - Alby Back
An element of the decision is down to your view of risk I suppose. I've had a number of Mondeos which were still under warranty when I bought them but I chose to have them maintained by an indy. My wife's Ka was bought brand new nearly six years ago but has never been back to a Ford dealer. Thankfully, none of the cars mentioned have ever gone wrong.
The car in question is 1.5 years old since it was first registered, it is a Ford Ka. I am considering trading it in and buying a used Toyota Corolla to replace it (for various reasons). But before any of that happens, the Ka will be up for its second service. Ford explicitly state that getting it done at another garage doesn't invalidate the warranty, as long as the garage uses Ford parts and the services are done at the intervals Ford say.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - Rattle
Stamps are worthless for me. I would need to see receipts too. However if they just had the stamps I would then give the dealer a ring to check they are genuine, if the stamps are genuine then it makes a big difference to me.

Haven't you posted about this before or was it somebody else?
I have this choice to make.

The Lancer is coming up for three years old, and hence its third service (every 9k or 12 months) in February. Its a minor one (oil change)

Changing oil on this beast will be a breeze. I can see the filter, and it doesent even have any guards or covers under the engine to remove to get to the sump plug.

It has a paid for, forth year misubishi warranty thrown in as part of the deal, but thats clearly dependent on a full dealer service history.

Its done 20k miles, and been serviced on mileage not date. Last one was at 18k/30 months and the the oil is still golden.

So what to do?

I will leave it and see at what time of the year it will hit 27K. It will get serviced on mileage, and I will probably do the next one myself. I have a misubsihi service manual on CD where I can even print out the service checklist. I will complete that, and keep reciepts. Its a very simple uncomplicated mitsubishi, I dont expect much to go wrong and have to try and invoke the warranty.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - piston power
Mine was coming up to 3yrs and the service at the indie was £185.00 to buy the parts from the dealers inc the oil was £45.00, by doing it myself i also know the pollen filter got fitted like it was never done the year before when i paid for it!

And fitted new plugs which is not done till 40k car was on 23k at 3yrs old lots of stop start journeys so wanted plugs fitted.

The choice is yours with the stamps i wrote in the book it was serviced and kept the receipts with date on i suppose you could have a stamp made and stamp it who would know?

The stamp from the indie is faded and hard to read never mind the telephone number to check, yes i know im naughty but never mind...........

Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - Old Navy
>>I dont expect much to go wrong and have to try and invoke the
warranty.

>>
Your choice, AE, I had a Mitsubishi that ate its gearbox at 12,000 miles.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - perro
If I bought a nearly new car, I'd want FMDSH, if I bought a 3 year old car I'd still want FMDSH but any older than that, well - its getting long in the tooth by then anyway.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - DP
If you get an issue just out of warranty, main dealer servicing is essential for any goodwill from the manufacturer, but in every other respect, I would go the indie route. You can always specify the use of genuine Ford parts as well, which most will be happy to source for you. Ford parts are often no more expensive than known brand pattern ones, particularly service items. I used to DIY service my old Mondeo, and timing belt service aside, not once did routine replacement service parts, including oil, amount to any more than about £50.

For what it's worth, I don't think main dealers offer anything like approaching value for money. Their work ethic, customer service skills and professionalism are just as variable as the backstreet garages, and I base that on having used several of them while putting 100,000 miles on a company Focus over three years. £100+ per hour is for the plate glass, fancy lighting and pot plants as much as it is any real added value over a good independent.

If I were buying a car in warranty, I'd want to know that warranty was valid, but a stamped book from an established business, with a detailed invoice of the parts used and work done is, for me at least, as good as any main dealer stamp. But that's just me.

Edited by DP on 08/12/2009 at 16:37

Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - NickS
How relevant are things like software updates on newer cars, that are performed at main dealers?

I have an '05 Golf, and the local VW dealer has a price matching scheme. Last time I took it in for a major service and cambelt/tensioner change, they announced upon my return that they had carried out the work, and also done a software update to the ECU, free of charge.

Whilst my local Indie resets the service indicator on cars he services (so i presume he has VAG COM), i doubt he would have apllied the update too?
you can reset the "service now" without using the VAG.COM.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - ifithelps
The OP wrote:..The car in question is 1.5 years old since it was first registered, it is a Ford Ka. I am considering trading it in...

Anyone buying a car which is fewer than two years old will expect a main dealer history.

Many people still believe the new car warranty is not valid without one.

Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - Alby Back
On the basis that you are considering selling it imminently, I'll revise my previous post. I'd get the main dealer service. As has already been said, some/many people value that.

If however, you were planning to keep it indefinitely I'd say go to an indy and save the money especially with a relatively straightforward car like that. I tend to look at cars as white goods, in other words, buy what you can afford and want/need and keep it until it's no longer fit for purpose. In that instance, provided you are happy with the quality of work from your indy it will generally save a lot on maintenance costs and won't make any appreciable difference to the car's value towards the end of its life.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - dieselfitter
>>I won't be getting the stamp to keep the corrosion warranty valid. But I've read that corrosion warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. So again, how important is this?

I wouldn't say the Ford corrosion warranty is useless. Whilst it strictly only covers perforation, I've found they will usually pay for anything which is not just obviously due to external damage, stone chips, neglect etc. Here's my experience:

Ford Ka: rust on tailgate around rear wiper in year 4 - repaired under warranty. Now approaching 6th birthday and will be taken in again for rust around petrol filler and sills (expecting to have to argue that this is not due to stone chips - looks like perforation to me)

Ford Focus: rust on tailgate under rear window and around each door mirror mounting in year 3 - repaired under warranty. Rust on both rear wheel arches and bottoms of both rear doors in year 7 (Focus has 12 year warranty) - repaired under warranty.

Ford Mondeo Estate - rust free for 6 years, then sold.

Body repairs have been done by Ford bodyshop to a high standard, undetectable to an untrained eye and rust has not returned. Would have been expensive, so I think maintaining the warranty has paid off. Finding a used Ford with a valid bodywork warranty is almost impossible - at least I couldn't find one for my daughter.

On Ford dealer servicing costs in general, I sometimes find they are open to negotiation if you call and haggle. Last Ford dealer service on the Focus was a case of "OK, we'll do it for £99". Note also that Rapid Fit are usually cheaper than the main dealer's workshop and their stamp is valid for warranty purposes.

Edited by dieselfitter on 08/12/2009 at 19:22

Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - idle_chatterer
TBH I found Ford franchised dealer servicing to be considerably cheaper than franchised dealer servicing for our Honda, VWs or Audis - at (say) £100 per equivalent service cheaper.

I've always thought that indie's are fine once the car is out of warrantee, I understand that you can use them during warrantee period but with certain conditions ? I notice that the OP has posted about problems with their car and Ford warrantee / service so the circumstances are different.

Our Fords never gave us any trouble or showed any signs of rust, I always think that if you're prepared to take the £200 a month depreciation on a newish car then quibbling over what is ostensibly another £8 (£100 / 12) seems a little pointless ?

I wouldn't buy a car within its manufacturer warrantee period without a full franchised dealer service history, otherwise you're not getting the proper value from your purchase.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 08/12/2009 at 19:33

Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - daveyjp
The OP could always just use Rapidfit. Ford parts, Ford technicians, but cheaper than the Ford service bay. That's what I used to do and I had warranty claims on my Focus which were honoured.

I took it into Rapidfit as the brakes were squeeling. On dismantling the rear hubs it was apparent a bearing had failed - Rapidfit did this job under warranty there and then.
The main dealer I bought my car from also has a Rapid Fit, so not sure how that works to be honest. It doesn't "look" separate to the main dealer since its part of the same business and same building, etc.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - daveyjp
Rapidfits work on a fast fit model - they only do basic repairs, but labour is cheaper. They also purchase consumables off the main dealer at a hefty dicsount and then pass part of this on to the vehicle owner.

It's a few years since I owned Fords, but I always received excellent service. I liked the fact I could take my car and wait for it to be worked on, watch what was happening, have a cup of coffee etc etc.
Ford Ka: rust on tailgate around rear wiper in year 4 - repaired under warranty.
Now approaching 6th birthday and will be taken in again for rust around petrol filler
and sills (expecting to have to argue that this is not due to stone chips
- looks like perforation to me)

Please let me know how that goes. Ford usually attributes both of those to normal wear/tear/age from stone chips and road dirt, etc. And if you don't have mud guards they also like to point out its your fault because you never bought mud guards. If I do keep my Ka, I'm sure I will at one stage be experiencing rust on the door sills, if not around the petrol cap filler area as well. But both issues are definitely design flaws on the old Ka, and we have proof from all the used ones on the market that are in similar condition at 4-6 years old.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - dieselfitter
It should be possible, on close and honest inspection, to tell the difference between rust that has spread from stone chips and rusting though. It's my daughter's car and I'll have a careful look next time I see her and the car. The rust around the petrol filler was bubbling behind unbroken paint last time I saw it, and should be no-brainer claim - hopefully. I think it depends how you approach the dealer. Make an appointment for a warranty inspection and take the car in freshly cleaned and with your fully-stamped service book in your hot little hand. Be sensible about what you are asking to be fixed - don't try it on with a car that has been basically neglected. Be polite and friendly - you want the dealer's support. It helps if you have owned the car for a while - I've heard they don't look kindly on you if you basically bought a rusty car and now expect Ford to fix it up for you. So yes, it's a bit of hassle, but has paid off for us so far.
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - Ben 10
"water leak into driver's side footwell"

You were banging on about Ford warranties in an earlier thread. If you keep the KA, then for your problems to be sorted out quickly I would get it dealership serviced. Other than that you could sell it as a fish tank, if you haven't addressed the leak problem. Or has that been resolved. :-)
Main Dealer Stamps - How important? - idle_chatterer
>
Other than that you could sell it as a fish tank if you haven't
addressed the leak problem. Or has that been resolved. :-)

I saw the Ford Karp at the 1998 Earls Court Motor Show, it really was a (then new) Ka converted to a fish tank with Gold Fish and displayed on the Ford stand.
Or has that been resolved. :-)

It is being resolved. The car is currently in pieces at a Ford garage being reassembled. They had to remove all four seats, all the carpet, some bits in the engine bay, the entire dashboard, wiring loom, and goodness knows what else. All I am hoping for is that they manage to do all this properly!

Edited by Webmaster on 10/12/2009 at 01:00