Car from auction - LinuxGeek
I bought a Suzuki Swift for my dad from auction on Friday evening. The car was advertised with power steering. But it actually doesn't have power steering.
Would you please let me know what options do I've now? I'm thinking of contacting the auction people tomorrow but want to be prepared. This is the first time I've bought a car from auction.
Car from auction - Lygonos
Even though it's an auction the vehicle was not as described. Full refund should be available I would imagine.
Car from auction - pd
Where was it described as having power steering?

If it was just the generic catalogue then there is normallty a disclaimer along the lines of:

Vehicles may be withdrawn from the auction before the sale. Whilst due care and attention is given to ensure accuracy of the contents of the catalogue,
Acme Auctions will not accept any responsibility for any omissions or misdescriptions contained therein.

Basically, at auction it is down to YOU to check every single aspect of the car and it is sold as presented as it drives through. If you're worried about PAS then you need to stick your hand through the window and try the steering wheel as it drives through.

It is worth asking but in most cases the auction house and vendor will tell you to get lost.
Car from auction - Altea Ego
Is it because that model was never fitted with power steering? or the power steering doesent work. It may sound daft, but how do you know it doesent have power steering?
To answer your questions:
We went to auction and bought the catalogue. The car was advertised with power steering. Then went to see the car before it came in the auction hall and the paper which was stuck on the car wind screen had power steering mentioned too.
PD - I agree cars from auction are bought with some risk but are you trying to say auction people can missell the cars and they can get away with it? So if they said car was for example 1600cc instead of 2000cc that's legal?
How do I know car doesn't have the power steering? Steering is very heavy and I was thinking probably the power steering oil is low but when I opened up the bonnet I couldn't find the power steering oil container anywhere.
Car from auction - RobertyBob
Does the Swift have electric power steering?

Edited by RobertyBob on 07/12/2009 at 09:37

Car from auction - Altea Ego
Does the Swift have electric power steering?

Which is why I asked. If the car is designed for power steering, and its not working, it will be near undriveable. I suspect it has power steering of the electric variety.
Car from auction - ifithelps
Before you contact the auction, check the car doesn't have electrically operated power steering which has failed.

Power steering is a significant feature, if the auction catalogue says the car has it, but it doesn't, you must have a good case for returning the car.
Car from auction - pd
If it was on the entry form (apart from the catalogue - catalogues are considered a guide only - the entry form is the important part) and the auctioneer did not annouce different you may have a case if it hasn't got PAS. However, if it is simply broken then you have no case.

What model and year is it?

Edited by pd on 07/12/2009 at 10:03

Car from auction - ifithelps
Perhaps this car is a mis-build without electric pas.

Does happen - we once had a Renault 5 that was half TL and half GTL spec.

After talks with Renault UK we sold it at TL money, although the customer got a 'TL-plus.'

The more I hear about auctions, the more I think many cars are there 'for a reason'.

I also think auctions are perhaps best left to the likes of pd who clearly knows what he's doing.

Another point is that nice cars I've seen go through always make good money, so I'm not convinced there are many bargains to be had.

Car from auction - Mapmaker
Even auctioneers have to show a certain level of care.

Ring 'em up and ask for your money back.
Car from auction - pd
Without the OP stating the year & model of the car and ideally the auction house it is difficult to comment any further. The other complication with any sort of auction issue is that the auction house is only the agent and they will have to ask the vendor if they'll accept the car back. If they won't and they have given incorrect information then the auction house will have to force them to take it back so the whole thing can really drag out.

To be frank, if you read the pages and pages of auction T&C's they are basically responsible for absolutely nothing.

As a general bit of advice though I'd say be doubly careful at any auctions outside of working hours (i.e. evening and weekend) as they are the auctions dealers try to punt dangerous or faulty cars off to the unsuspecting public at. Well, I do anyway.

The better sellers and stock usually happen during the day.
Car from auction - boxsterboy
Ring up a Suzuki dealer, give him the VIN, and he should tell you if it's got PAS.
Just wanted to give everyone heads up on this.
The car is a GLS model and it definitely doesn't have the power steering. Even Parkers haven't listed it as optional.
Spoke with auction people yesterday and they've given me two options, one return the car and they'll pay £50 towards costs of travelling or keep the car and they'll post me £50 cheque. I've decided to return the car because its not worth the money without power steering.
Car from auction - pd
That's a good result - well done.