07 2.0 Squeeky Alternator Belt - Roly93
Can anyone suggest how I can quieten the ancilliary drive belt on my diesel A4 please.
It has gradually got more and more squeaky over the last few months, and low it squeaks even after a significant drive, except for just first thin on a damp morning.

It is not slipping, it is just making a rubbery squeak at tickover. When I sprayed it with V-belt spray it went silent for a while, but the squeaking came back after a few days.
07 2.0 Squeeky Alternator Belt - 659FBE
A warranty job, surely?

If not, check all of the obvious things such as tensioner/idler bearings and the alternator one way clutch in its pulley. If all else fails, I have succeeded in silencing squeaky belts by taking them off and reversing them (ie. turn them over to reverse the direction of rotation, as seen by the belt itself).

07 2.0 Squeeky Alternator Belt - Roly93
In the end the only thing that would fix this is smearing silicone grease on the outside of the belt.
It seems that the noise was mainly due to the belt passing over the tensioner pulley. As the grease is inert and so will not damage the belt, and is applied only to the outside, I think this is sorted. I couldn't be bothered to take it to the dealer for a fault as minor as this as they would have wasted a whole day of my time as they usually do, or just said NFF as they also often do !!
07 2.0 Squeeky Alternator Belt - 659FBE
Not a good idea. Silicone grease migrates everywhere and is impossible to get off. The idea of a belt drive is to provide grip between the pulleys and the belt. Lubricant is the last thing you need.

I hope there is enough friction reserve to provide consistent drive to the PAS pump when making a manoevre on a wet day with the alternator on full load.