06 2.0 ECU failure - Old Codger
The car was ok when last driven but failed to start next day, turned over though. Diagnosed as ECU failure. I know this is a long shot but this is all I can think of. Carpenter using electric circular sander within 4or 5 yards of the car prior to car use. Is there any possibility that the electric sander somehow could be responsible as the TV picture (10yds away) was was 'snowed out', at this time. Or any other ideas?
06 2.0 ECU failure - perro
You could always try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if it resets the ECU.
The sander being the cause is a long-shot IMO but - maybe not so crazy?
I had an ECU blown once upon a time by a MIG welder :(
06 2.0 ECU failure - Rattle
Given that I could put an electric screw driver all over the ICs on a motherboard and it would work fine (not that I would do this) I fail to see how an electric sander could damage the ECU?

Also I assume you have checked the basics? ECUs are very tough and if it has failed I would suspect a fault on the electrics. I've not known personaly of any car failing the ECU, garages always diagnose it but so often its not the case.

06 2.0 ECU failure - macavity
These people might be able to suggest a possible cause:

www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx
06 2.0 ECU failure - Altea Ego
>Carpenter using electric circular sander within 4or 5 yards of the car prior to car use. Is >there any possibility that the electric sander somehow could be responsible

No - no chance at all. Its nothing to do with the electric sander.
06 2.0 ECU failure - Old Codger
Thanks all.