03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - bigmennie
Hi i have a 2003 1.9 passat tdi and i have starting problems with it, it starts sometimes and other times it dosen't the lights all come up on the dash as normal but is just dead when you turn it over and you have to rock the car back and forth and after that it usually starts and runs fine so i dont know, i just want to know what it is so i can sort it.
03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - Armitage Shanks {p}
You say the dash lights come on OK but it is dead when you turn it over; do mean that the lights go out when you turn the key to "Start" or is just that the starter does not turn?
03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - Peter D
We need more detailed information to repond to that one. Regards Peter
03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - Lud
Sounds as if it may be a sticky starter solenoid or teeth missing from the starter ring. If the latter, expensive in labour to fix.
03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - bigmennie
Hi sorry right when i put the key in and turn in all the dash lights come on and go out as normal, then when you turn it to start it there's nothing, dosent turn over or nothing, but then when you rock the car back and forth and turn the key it starts not all the time though but 9 times out of 10 i have changed battery did nothing, but the alternater does need changing but it still does it when using jump leads i still have to rock it and it starts no problem.

Thanks

Jason

Edited by bigmennie on 29/11/2009 at 00:05

03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - Peter D
This is either the ignition barrel or more likely the connection on the back of the pre-engage solenoid on the starter motor. After checking the connection,if this still happens you need to ensure that the solenoid is receiving the +12v feed when the key is turned. Regards Peter
03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - Simon
Does it click under the bonnet when you turn the key? Almost certainly the starter motor is in need of some TLC. Either change the unit, have it over-hauled by an auto electrician or get it off and give it a good clean up yourself.
03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - Andrew-T
The very first thing is to remake the battery terminal connections - they may be OK to light the dash, but not good enough for the starter, especially on a diesel.

... realise you have changed the battery - sorry ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/11/2009 at 14:42

03 1.9 tdi have to rock car to start it HELP - Hamsafar
Could it be a dead spot/s in the starter motor, due to worn armature?