Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - Falkirk Bairn
After 1st Jan 2010 the Shell Mcard from Citi will be no more.

In the past it offered 3% on Shell purchases, 1% on other purchases + Free Legal Motoring Cover............

This was cut back a off couple of months ago to 1% on Shell fuel, 0.5% on other uses, No Legal Cover.........

Personally I boycotted using the Shell Card, bought BP fuel......................

Maybe I was not the only one........Citi are offering another card in its place.

Shell may have another card on offer in the near future - hopefully with 3p off a litre .....or better
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - maltrap
I have a Capital One Mastercard which gives me 1% cashback on all purchases.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - Alby Back
We buy a lot of fuel. There are three convenient filling stations near us, a Shell, a Morrisons and a Sainsburys. For reasons I don't claim to understand but can prove unequivocally, Morrisons diesel gives poorer mpg than the other two but their petrol seems to provide equivalent returns. I have been using the Citi card at Shell and a Nectar card at Sainsburys. The new arrangement with the Shell card simply means that I'll be getting more Nectar points. Their call.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - J500ANT
After 1st Jan 2010 the Shell Mcard from Citi will be no more.

Ditto the Easy Jet Citi mastercard. I only got it cos the rates & balance transfer were good, not for the Easy miles thing.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - Manatee
Yes, got the letter yesterday. There doesn't seem to be much incentive to switch to their offered alternative, on a quick scan.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - boxsterboy
Yes, their offer of a replacement Citi card won't wash with me - I'll be cancelling. I only got the Shell Citi card because of the cashback, but I suspect they are relying on inertia from most customers.

I 'only' have 3 credit cards and one of my others that gives to the RNLI is being scrapped by the provider in January as well! I hope the 3rd doesn't get scrapped too!!
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - 1400ted
I'm not overly concerned either..used mine regularly because my local and the one on the main road south are both Shell. I think, from reading it, that you have to make another purchase to get your 'cashback'. I'll keep the replacement as a backup card.
Normally use my debit card...bit silly to use credit card and then pay it off from my current account. Would only use CCs to make a big payment for something...giving me a bit of time to transfer funds to pay it off.
Pay most bills on-line now...I expect we'll be losing cheques next.

Ted
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - ifithelps
Stopped using the debit card in petrol stations after I had a bit of bother with unauthorised withdrawals earlier this year.

Don't know what caused that, but there are plenty of stories about card crime starting in filling stations.

I tend to pay cash, rather than credit card.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - movilogo
Can't even log in to their web site to see my balance!!!
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - movilogo
Finally manged to log in. Had to go via Citibank's site instead of Shell's.
Stopped using the debit card in petrol stations after I had a bit of bother
with unauthorised withdrawals earlier this year.

That's precisely why I use a credit card for fuel - I too was stung once, but at least it was the credit card companies money they were taking and not mine!
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - b308
Got the letter today as well, as said there's no reason at all to keep with it after the end of the year... mines reduced to nil each month anyhow... If Shell introduce another with a discount then I might go for it but at the moment SWMBO is doing her weekly shop at Tesco Online and I keep getting their 5p/l off vouchers so thats where I'm going to fill up...

Shame, really, as Shell fuel certainly seemed to be good, and it was (and is) competitively priced...
If Shell introduce another

My letter from Citi regarding my easyJet card said they (eJ) were introducing a new card soon so it wouldnt surprise me if Shell dont find someone else. But i'm not sure this is the best climate for finding a card giving a good cashback. There's a big thread about Citi cards withdrawl on www.moneysavingexpert.com - some appear to have had their Shell cards stopped already.
Citi doesn't have much compunction about withdrawing cards from customers who are unlikely to yield a profit. They pulled 160,000 Egg cards last year, including allegedly accounts that were not out of order.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7224268.stm

I've had a Shell card since March - I was given a £1,000 credit limit, so I think the writing was on the wall even then. The 'credit limit increase' option disappeared from the self-service site a few months back.

I'm switching my fuel purchasing to an Amazon Mastercard - 1% value back on Amazon purchases, 0.5% back elsewhere, and £15 off your first Amazon purchase. Provided by MBNA (Bank of America).

Shell Drivers club will presumably continue.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - Brentus
Don't know why motorists put up with this. Its called migration go or leave. In other words have what your given. Be warned i previously posted (it appears to have been removed). Shell told me they were moving from , Ithink it was RBS to Citi. I wrote told them i didnt want it, and instructed them to close the account. A year later a letter arrives from Citi. As a previous holder of a citi card. I wasnt a holder of a citi card i wrote to shell and told them i didnt want one and chose to terminate the present card. Backroomers be warned.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - legacylad
I stopped using mine when the cashback rate was reduced.
Now I use a Barclaycard Cashback credit card.
i stopped using mine when the cashback rate was reduced>>

legacylad: exactly you can fool some of the people some of the time you can't fool all the all of the time..

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/12/2009 at 19:11

Also Citi will offer another card in its place. Wrong. Shell will offer another card in its place. Correct they will also offer another one in another years time as well. Like i said before be careful. I wrote to Citi and Shell saying . Cancel my previous card and stated i don't want the Citi card. This sent by recorded delivery. Presto 7 months down the line i get a letter from Citi ( you previousley held one of our cards) no i didnt and they know that. be careful. Look a the posts for Shell plus points scheme it beggars belief how this carry's on as it does.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - JamesH
I used the have the plain old Citi card, but cancelled it on getting the Shell Citi. After the Shell cashback was cut, I reverted to using my Egg Money card to keep 1% cashback (but not 3% off fuel). I'll cancel the Shell card soon.

>>Look a the posts for Shell plus points scheme it beggars belief

Something to take care with is that my Shell V-Power Club reward is given as a credit to my Shell Citi card. Given the past poor admin of the club (and normal Shell Drivers Club), I hope any future points redemption doesn't get sent to a black hole. It might be worth manually changing the reward method.
Yes its now in a black hole. The points when accredited enough they would automatically send you your previousley registered choice. Now the points build up and they don't send your request out. Again they have changed the playing field.

James i warn you be careful. When you cancel do it in writing by recorded delivery and keep the records. As sure as day is night after you cancel down the line some 6 -9 months later you will recieve a letter from Citi attaining to your account that you cancelled.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - jacks
It might be worth manually changing the reward method.

Good tip - thanks,

I've just gone onto the website and changed my reward method as it was still showing "credit Citi Mastercard" which of course I'm going to cancel.

Like everyone else I'm using it less and less now since they reduced the 3% fuel cashback, as other fuel offers often now outweigh the current 1p per litre "reward".

I've just applied for a John Lewis Partnership Mastercard for myself and an additional one for SWMBO and we'll switch our £400 monthly fuel spend over. This card pays 1% on items purchased at JL (or Waitrose/Ocado) and 0.5% on everything else. We seem to end up buying most big ticket items at JL anyway.

Might be worth considering for any BR's with similar shopping preferences.

Jacks

Edited by jacks on 04/12/2009 at 10:25

Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - Statistical outlier
Jacks, you might want to apply for the Amex Platinum card. Pays 5% for the first three months, then reverts to 1.5% cashback. I think there is a £10k spend needed for the 1.5%, but a lower limit still gets you 1% on everything.

As far as I know that's the best deal out there at the moment, although obviously there are places that don't take Amex. I've never had a fuel station decline it though. I made £300 last year (can put work expenses through on the card).

HTH. G
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - OmNo
I had the shell citi card and it was very good as people say with rewards.
Then as above they reduced the cash back to 1% on shell petrol and I also received a letter saying that they are replacing it with a platinum something or other.
I was never informed that this was an introductory rate so as a result I have cancelled the card altogether and boycott shell petrol as much as I can. I think it is very poor they way they treated customers. I always assumed that once I entered into a contract it would be honoured - clearly not with shell & citi. I could understand it being cancelled for new customer but not existing.
Omno.. My sentiments exactly. I looked into this imposing a new card by a new provider. It is called migration. I will tell you here and now in another 12-18months shell will change again. They obviously must get some kick back from bank. But like you say they dont give a hoot about the customer.
I'm sure you're both wrong with your theory, and I very much doubt that a card with similar rewards will appear again, certainly not at the 3% level - it was so obviously unprofitable. I doubt Shell has received any material amounts from Citi either, with no profits to share.

It would hardly be good business for Shell deliberately to do what you suggest - they may have got a small bounty for opening each of your card accounts, which will hardly offset the loss of a customer for life.

The income generated for the issuer from a card account that is settled off on time every month is rather less than 1% of sales. The card was launched in a very different market to today's.

If you are interested in how card schemes work you might like to look at this report -

www.pwc.co.uk/eng/publications/precious_plastic.ht...l
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - BobbyG
so I sent a letter to Citi, acknowledging receipt of their letter and telling them that I didn't want the new card so when it came to terminate the existing Shell Citi, then please close my account.

Goty a letter acknowledging my letter and it said that if I want to close my account, I need to send them a letter.

Phoned the Indian Call Centre and they advised that for me to close my account I need to pay the balance today. I said no, I am not doing that, it is on auto Direct Debit and I will end up paying twice.
Well they can't close my account, you see the Shell Citi is not closing, it is just transferring to the new account......

Aaarrgghh!

This was in between me having to spell everyting out as she didn't understand where Scotland was......
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - carl_a
Phoned the Indian Call Centre and they advised that for me to close my account
I need to pay the balance today. I said no I am not doing that
it is on auto Direct Debit and I will end up paying twice.
Well they can't close my account you see the Shell Citi is not closing it
is just transferring to the new account......

Sounds normal practice to me, I can't see how they are doing anything wrong. Cancel your direct debit, pay them the money jobs done. Why should it matter where the call centre is, some very smart people working over there.

Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - BobbyG
It matters when they cannot understand a word you are saying.

No point in cancelling direct debit, that will just cause more issues no doubt. Will just let it run its course and then cancel.
Spot on, Bobby !
Just experienced similar..someone rang out of the blue offering some computer advice, shouted and talked too fast...hopeless. Put the phone down...he rang twice again...still no better. May be very clever...better if they wrote ! ( Don't anybody play the ' race card ' I live in an area with a large Asian community and have some great friends and neighbours )
I used my Shell card a week or so ago for a final £30 of derv.
Will see what it says on the next bill. I pay all mine on-line though.

Ted

Edited by 1400ted on 15/12/2009 at 23:31

Shell Drivers Club - Shell petrol & diesel after 1st jan 2010 will give 3% rebate!!

Boycott of Shell by us card holders after Citi card withdrawing 3% maybe had some effect!!
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - cheddar
Is that 3% irrespective of what credit card is used FB?

And what about the V-Power card? That is supposed to give more points/discount than the Driver's club card.
Vpower or Drivers Club 3% rather than the current 1%

Use cash or ANother CC
That sounds good! If you combine it with another rebate credit card it almost brings fuel down to a sensible level. Almost ...
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - TrevL
FB, I had a letter from Shell saying new offer is 3 points/litre after 01 Jan. A point used to be 1/2p so that would give one and a half on a litre that would show nearly 1.5% saving....but they may have upped the points rate and I haven't noticed.
Got my last bill from them yesterday......one fill up, £50.72. cashback taken off £2.28.
That's it, might as well cut it up now. Paid it on-line straight away.
Got Shell drivers club card in same post.

Ted
Sorry to bump this, but how many of you have now had a letter from Citi lowering your credit limit and raising your interest rate? I got one, and reading the forums on Moneysavingexpert i'm by no means the only one.
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - loskie
I had one so cut up the card sent a wee bit of it back with a letter terminating my account. As per the T&C's. Only reason I took the card was the 3% cash back. Had about £180 back over the 18m I had the card so it was pretty good for me. Paid the card off every month when I got my expenses so no money was made from me which I imagine was why the card was withdrawn.
Good while it lasted but surprised of the venom in some of the posts withgarding withdrawal. I saw it as a bonus not a right.
I got my new card last week, tried to fill the car yesterday , put my PIN in and it was rejected.
Realised itwas the PIN for the old card and I've not actually had a PIN for this one yet.
Luckily, had another card on me. Removed new card froom wallet until a PIN arrives.

Ted
Shell Citi Mastercard - no more - tyro
Good while it lasted but surprised of the venom in some of the posts withgarding withdrawal. I saw it as a bonus not a right.

I'm not sure that I have understood this thread, but it sounds like some business was giving away free money to people as a way of attracting their business, and then stopped giving them free money (or cut it back) because it was proving expensive, with the result that the people who had been raking in the dosh got very annoyed.

Or have I misunderstood this?
>>Or have I misunderstood this?

No, you understand it perfectly. I got my replacement "platinum" Citi cards this week, still with the same low £1000 limit I had before - I never checked the APR, just cut them up as I've no use for them without the free money!