Upgrading car alarms - spoiler
I've recently bought a Golf gti mk2 & am thinking of changing the alarm\immobiliser for a few reasons (old kit, only have 1 key fob for each).

So, can anyone recommend any of the current alarm\immobiliser's?

Also, i guess i will have to get a thatcham category alarm for insurance purposes. Does this have to be fitted by a "qualified" fitter? A few years ago now, i actually used to fit this kit for a car alarm company & used to sign certificates for insurance purposes. I never had specific training from my firm on installations (they just took me on as i was a qualified mechanic). I'm planning to fit the new alarm myself, but not sure if i will get hold of the nescesary paperwork to satisfy the insurance company.

Any ideas???
Upgrading car alarms - Dynamic Dave
The alarm brand I would recommend is Meta. I fitted one to my previous Cavalier. All kinds of options as standard. Operate central locking, close windows/sunroof. It also had an immobiliser that you could either set so that it would arm itself 30 secs after the ignition was turned off, or manually when the alarm was set.

As for Thatcham approval, yes you have to have it fitted by a qualified person, with receipts/proof of fitting. However, if you know someone in the trade, that shouldn't be too difficult to come by.