00 2.0 crankshaft pulley - richbev
00 2.0 high pitch rattle - glowplug
It's a long shot but does it have a damped crankshaft pulley?

If so paint a line across it and keep checking to see if the line becomes mis-aligned. If that happens have the pulley replaced before it flings the aux belt into the timing belt and wrecks the engine.

Steve.

steve you were wright. it looks like the bottom pulley is the cause of the rattle. is it a big job to remove the bottom pulley???. does the cam belt need to be removed or is the auxillery belt seperate???

00 2.0 crankshaft pulley - Panda_man
Assuming its an HDi the crankshaft pulley is fairly easy to replace but to do the job safely you need to be able to lock the flywheel. Sealey make a tool for this that works really well.

You only need to remove the auxiliary drive belt and not the cam belt. GSF sell new pulleys much more cheaply than the main dealer. If you take it to a garage I would expect them to charge maybe 1 hour labour plus parts.

To do it yourself, get a Haynes manual - you will need to know the correct tightening torques etc.

00 2.0 crankshaft pulley - dereckr
Panda man, your post reads:

"Sealey make a tool for this that works really well"

I would be interested in knowing to which device you are referring. I have checked the Sealey web site and I can only see a general PSA kit. Is this the one?

Thanks.
00 2.0 crankshaft pulley - Panda_man
Sealey VS1286. I got mine separately from somewhere online for about a tenner but that was a couple of years ago. I've just looked on the web and they seem more expensive now. You could probably fabricate your own.
00 2.0 crankshaft pulley - dereckr
Yes the kit I refer to is a bit expensive to use for one job. Thanks for your reply.