99 1.8 setting timing belt tension - fredblogs
I need to change the timing belt on my Focus 1.8 tddi. This is a job I have done several times over the years without any problems and am quite confident about doing it. However, this is the first car I have had where a Clavis guage is needed to set the tension. I know these are expensive, and I can't find anywhere that hires them. I notice, though, on the Clavis website there is a formula for converting the frequency to a tension in Nm. I was wondering about using this and then setting the tension using a standard belt tension guage. Is this a good/bad idea, and how accurately would I need to weigh/measure the length of the belt? Are there any other ways to accurately set the tension i.e. without risking the belt failing or drastically shortening its life? Thanks
99 1.8 setting timing belt tension - timadeus

After 2001 an automatic timing belt tensioner is fitted. This can now be fitted to pre 2001 models so there is now no need for a clavis gauge. Just make sure that when you buy a belt kit it has the automatic tensioner as some come with the manual tensioner.For fitting instructions just follow the 2001 onwards manual.