Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - bazomis
Readers who have seen my single other post to this forum, will know that I am reluctantly in the market to buy a replacement car. But having been stung once and now feeling decidely hard up, I would appreciate your assistance on what, when, where from and how. My budget is £15k unless I was to opt for contract hire.

What should I buy? I have driven fairly large 4x4s for the past few years. Hard to justify but partly because I use them as 'skip trucks' to carry endless amounts of junk and I like the driving position. Before that I always had Audi (A4s then an A6) or Mercedes (E320) estates. We've recently moved to the city but, having test-driven several, I can't get used to driving something the size of a Golf or smaller. Not fond of smaller 4x4s either.

When should I buy it? I've been scouring the market for a decent secondhand buy (up to 3 years old/40k miles) since the summer but prices appear to have got carried away. I can't afford to buy another Disco 3 and why would I buy say an out of warranty 3 year old Volvo XC90 for 85% of the price of a deeply discounted new one? I read that HJ thinks the next couple of weeks is the best time to buy secondhand before prices go up again in time for expected demand in January.

Where from? I've avoided private sales and hit the forecourts of franchised dealers, often asking about any non franchise PXs they have to dispose of or cars that were coming up to their sell by dates. No joy. Low stocks and high prices. Took myself off to BCA Blackbushe one day. A real eye-opener but pretty much everything was achieving 100% clean price or better for mid to poor quality and high mileage stock.

How should I buy it? I looked into the scrappage scheme, having been offered a friend's qualifying cast off that needed £400 to get it through it's MoT. The figures didn't stack up though on anything larger than a basic spec petrol or diesel Golf S. Anything bigger and I could negotiate a higher discount as a retail customer with no trade-in, certainly among the 'premier' manufacturer brands. Lastly, cash (earning me only 2% a year) or business contract hire thinking about future depreciation from current heady market heights?

Many thanks

bazomis
Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - astrabob
First of all, you really need to decide what type of car you want. This depends upon the type of use - mostly around town, A roads, motorways etc. Also how many miles a year do you expect to cover? How many passengers and luggage do you normally carry? Is image important? Are running costs important? Must it be fun to drive?

Once you've answered these questions, you should have a clearer idea of what you want.

Then you've got the question of where to buy it. At this price level, you must minimise risk. See other threads currently running. Almost certainly franchised dealer, must have full service record etc. Do your own hpi check via their own website (gives insurance against having been stolen etc). Have an AA / RAC type check.

And also test drive several cars and see how you like them. I've driven cars in the past which on paper fit my needs, have a good reputation, and when I've driven them I've hated them. Make sure you like it.

Finally, this is a good time of year to buy, as a lot of people's attention is diverted towards Christmas. But wahtever you do, don't be panicked into a decision - there's always more cars out there.
Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - dimdip
>>I looked into the scrappage scheme, having been offered a friend's qualifying cast off >>

Just as an aside, I understand you have to have been the registered keeper of the car for a full year to qualify under Scrappage.
Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - bazomis
Bought in their name, your name included on invoice from dealer to show you have provided the funds. When V5 arrives, register a change of owner and you become the second keeper. All completely legitimate as all the government is interested in is getting a less environmentally friendly car off the road.
Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - Altea Ego
bazomis, what are you some kind of masochist? Your burning desire to get yourself a cheap big 4 x 4 got you a spanking last time. And here you are pumping yourself up down the same road for another foray into it must be big, must be 4x4 and it must be cheap for a car you admit you dont need.

Take a dose of sensible pills, use your dosh and get a good normal car, sporty if you like, from a dealer.
Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - dimdip
>>Bought in their name ... register a change of owner>> Ah I see
Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - henry k
Took myself off to BCA Blackbushe one day.
A real eye-opener but pretty much everything was achieving 100% clean price or better for mid to poor quality and high mileage stock.

>>
Once you have zoomed in on what vehicle you want perhaps consider an auction buyer like Joe Dowd, often mentioned on this site.

www.auctioncarbuyer.co.uk/
Buying a car. Can you help with the 3Ws and H? - gordonbennet
You like 4x4's and nothing wrong with that so do i and many others too, as a bonus owning one annoys the hell out of some people for some unfathomable reason so do get another:-)
But maybe from a franchised dealer.

HJ has just road tested next years Hyundai Santa Fe, so have a nose there, and check out his CbyC guide above for the current very similar model.

Your budget should get you a decent example of of a top of range Limited auto, which will still likely have 3 years unlimited mileage warranty left on it.

Surprisingly capable motor, not a small 4x4 by any stretch, friend has one nice motor.