01 1.8 Please help... my car won't start - LittleSausage
Hi there -

On Thursday evening, my car wouldn't start (and still won't). I had used it about an hour previously and all was fine. The starter motor is turning over and she is trying to start, but no fuel is getting through.

I've checked some things and have managed to rule out the fuel cut-off switch, the relay, a particular fuse that seems to be a problem with Focuses, and have changed the coil pack. I have power going in to the coil pack (I checked with the multi-meter - there are three wires and the middle wire has power) but nothing is sparking (which is why I guessed it might be that). There is no smell of fuel at the a*se end, so even with pedal to the metal she's not flooding.

My guess is that I'm going to need a diagnostics test run, however, with her not starting, I'm going to have to have her towed, I think. I'm a 24 year old female and am worried about being majorly ripped off by a garage.

I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Please help!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2009 at 12:44

01 1.8 Please help... my Focus won't start - Peter D
At a guess the crank/cam position sensor has dies. Not expensive. Regards Peter
01 1.8 Please help... my Focus won't start - LittleSausage
Thanks for your reply, Peter. Is there some way I can test this to find out? And do you know how difficult the part is to replace? While I could change the coil pack by myself, my mechanical knowledge is limited!
01 1.8 Please help... my car won't start - Faxo
Hi, 99% sure it'll be the fuel pump in the tank. Common on Mk1 Focuses. Easy way to check is lift back seats and the rubber grommit to gain access the underneath the car. Then, while listening carefully get someone to turn the ignition on, if it buzzes for a few seconds its working, if it doesn't, as i suspect it won't, it isn't!