Torx T30's and phlips head screws rounding - luke2008
Hi,

Thanks everyone who helped with my least queery youre oviously all ver knowledgable,

I gues this is sometning that evey expirienced mechanic will know but i want to heat it from you guys.

i have completed a few small jobs on my 306 (working my way towards the timing belts)

I wanted to drain and replace the cooling system this weekend but was thwarted but the Torx head T30 bolt that holds the Air cleaner housing/intake being coroded and basically imovable i flet the underside where the corrisponding bolt is located but there is no way i could get a spaner in there. on inspection i found that the Torx T30 bolt just to the right holding the headlight to the front of the car is also in similar condition though i could get at the bold on this one the head of the bolt quickly rounded leaving me stumped. I want to replace all of this stuff and just need a little help.

what should i do. try and knock the offending head off with a chizel? grind it off?

the one on the Air cleaner housing is surrounded by the housing itself making either of these solutions imposible.

can i drill it out if so how and what are the risks/safty precautions i should take. I really dont want to make any mistakes as they always just cost time and money

Can somebody with some skills let me know what the propper thing to do here is, as i guess this kind of thing will keep comming up given the age of the car and my intention to nurse her back to full health.

also i had a similar problem with one of the philips head Screws that holds the brake disk to the hub it was clearly rounded by somebody previous to myself as it was damn near imposible to get off and on i changed out the pads and disks and i had to put it back on because i didnt have the appropreate screw to replace it (i learnded a lesson here) i want to replace it but cant get it off now

again what do you do with rounded nuts and bolts of vairing types.

cheers everone

Mae it a non-specific question in respect of make/model.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/11/2009 at 14:40

Torx T30's and phlips head screws rounding - luke2008
haparently you can get a kit that you use with a power drill that cleans out the head then digs on in there, will this do the job or is there a better way to go about it?
Torx T30's and phlips head screws rounding - Peter.N.
What I do with most of my rounded or undo-able nuts and bolts is to slide a bigger nut over it and weld it on, gives you something to grip and a much larger surface.