cambelt change - joe
Is it possible to easily tell if a cambelt change has been carried out (without taking the engine to bits)? I have just bought a N reg 60,000 mile Seat Toledo 2.0l 16v (the same engine as the golf gti) and although the service record shows that the job was done at 55,000 miles, I would be happier if I could confirm this myself. It sounds paranoid, but one hears of forged service records from time to time, and teh cambelt change is so important. Any ideas anyone?
cambelt change - madf
1. Is it noisy? If yes the cambelt tensioner is on the way out. It should be changed with the cambelt.
Open the bonnet when running and listen for squeaks and rattles.
2. Although I don't know the engine, have the cambelt covers bolts been moved? If covered in dirt.. probably not.
3. Is it loose.. more than 1/4 inch sideways movement? Or are bits of blt missing or loose? If yes, then no change.
4. Is the auxiliary belt that drives the alternator new? It should be changed at same time as cambelt. Apply 3 above. If old, then unlikely to have a new cambelt..
cambelt change - 659FBE
Get the engine as hot as possible. Stop engine, and sniff carefully around edge of cover. If the belt has been changed, even after 5k miles, there should be a fresh rubbery smell. Another thing you can do is to remove the covers, and check for markings on the back of the belt. If it's done 50k they will all be rubbed off. Change belt if in doubt.
cambelt change - Cliff Pope
There ought to be a sticker somewhere under the bonnet recording the mileage when the belt was changed. It doesn't prove anything, but I'd be suspicious if there weren't one.