Trains too Costly for Network Rail - rtj70
The only "motoring" link is the use of buses, but this is amusing:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8354358.stm

National Rail are using coaches to get staff to a conference. The trains are too expensive!

And we're all meant to ditch the car and use public transport but we all know trains are expensive. Ironic that Network Rail think they can be too expensive too ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 11/11/2009 at 22:19

Trains to Costly for Network Rail - Rattle
That is what happens when you have likes of First and Stagecoach controlling the entire public transport system.

Trains are not always expensive but it does depend on the destination. Manchester to Llandudno is about £30 return now which would be fine but it takes two hours, its 90 minutes in the car and it would cost a lot lot less than £30 in fuel and wear and tear.

On the other hand I can get from Manchester to London in two hours on the train and it costs less than £10 if you are flexible.

There are some really good bargains on the high capacity routes but most train journeys are extremely expensive. I once paid £4 on a single fair from Manchester Airport to Wilmslow, which is less than 6 minutes on the train but because it travels into a different county (Greater Manchester to Cheshire) it costs a fortune.
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - piston power
I work at Leeds train station and the amount of people coming through in the last 5 yrs is well up i think most folk do leave the car at home due to parking issues in leeds and it's quicker it takes me 25 mins to drive there were the train is 7 mins.

As for coaches we use them when they don't run or signal problems aswell as taxis too.
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - The Melting Snowman
The result of privatisation. Got to keep the shareholders happy.
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - Bromptonaut
Amusing but a non story really. I doubt the open return fare is the right price comparison but getting a party of 200 people from A-B for a specific start time is a big ask for a railway that's already running near capacity. Four chartered coaches were always going to be cheaper, albeit slower and much less comfortable.

Why did they need to go at all. what about a video conference?
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - rtj70
Amusing but a non story really.

Yes - the BBC is good at this. But the fact a rail company does not use the rail is also amusing as you say.

I wonder where the rest of the employees are coming from. It cannot only be this bunch can it otherwise any travel at all is not justified.

And alternatives like the presenters going from region to region might be more cost effective. Sometimes wonder if the alternatives have really been though off. Only last week we had a voice conference at work with over 500 participants with slides and everything.
Same here, I only live 3.5 miles from Manchester city centre but all my neighbours all get the bus or tram into town. Although the tram station is a mile away and the bus stops at our door (more less) most people seem to prefer to drive to the tram station and get the tram in (including me) it is just a lot more relaxing.

It costs me £2.40 return to the get the tram in (£3.30 on the bus for a daysaver) so both are a lot cheaper than parking and a lot quicker too by the time you faff about trying to find a space especially at this time of year.

You only have to look at pictures of the concourse of Manchester Picciddily's station before the 2001 refurb. It was tiny compared to what we have now and the new one is always mad busy, it just shows how much rail travel has increased.

Although it expensive I personally love it for most destinations it is very fast and reliable.
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - tiredeyes
Leeds eh Bigtee, you like those ATG (automatic ticket gates) then :-)
took me and my team nearly two months to install those!
Leeds have 110'000 footfall a day.
so think how many cars, that is keeping of the road.
also just think how many people travel without tickets, the revenue created will pay for gates in 6 months :-)
I work at Leeds train station and the amount of people coming through in the

I never understood Notherns policy on that. So many times I have got a train from a local station (East Didsbury) to get into Cheshire and the ticket office was closed and there was never any inspectors on the train to buy one off because the train was 95% empty.

I've even done the Manchester to London journey a couple of times without having to show a ticket.
My local station is closed by 2pm in the week. But you can buy tickets on the train. Except they are sometimes too busy. When you get to Manchester you sometimes can buy tickets there (they ask for proof) but occasionally you cannot buy a ticket and remain unchallenged.

On the return you always end up getting checked and buy a ticket. The single only saves a few pence ;-)
The worst thing about that station is there is no public information displays so if you're going southbound towards Buxton you have no idea where the train is going to so you end up having to ask the driver :(. Of course a lot of trains run late so you cannot rely on the timing.

I do sometimes park up there and get the train though, I sometimes get the train to Stockport there as it saves having to drive in to what I think it is one of the most horrible towns to drive through (hills, traffic etc).
train to Stockport there as it saves having to drive in to what I think it is one of the most
horrible towns

Yes I agree. :-)
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - piston power
you like those ATG (automatic ticket gates) then :-)

These gates have nothing to do with me but the passengers hate them there tickets don't work in them and the ones who did not buy a ticket before now have to!

The revenue on ticket sales is through the roof and those barriers will pay for themselves in no time.

There should be more ticket sellers out at the station or machines to buy tickets from.

Besides you must make some cash from replacing the glass barrier swing door's they get broken regular!!
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - Statistical outlier
Where's Costly?
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - 1400ted
As Rats says, the tram is the way to get into the City Centre here...I have the advantage of a free pass.
The problem is parking at the stations. Our ( and Rattle's ) three nearest ones have very limited space. Two, Trafford Bar and Warwick Road have only a little on-street parking. The piles of shattered safety glass in the gutter at Warwick Road put me off parking there years ago. Stretford has a car park which is only enough for about 20 cars and is full by 9 am.

Work has just started on the foundations of our new station ( held up by nesting birds ) 100 yds from home. Again, no land for parking.( I suppose I'll have to walk there ! ).An opportunity was missed some years ago, a tennis club next door to the site with a clubhouse and 4 courts had been unused for years. Instead of earmarking it, it was allowed to be sold off and now about 10 tiny terraced houses stand there.
They could also have extended the line past this point for a mile on the old trackbed with nothing in the way and built a large park and ride right by the busiest road into the city from the south..the A5103......that will be the next stage now.
Come back, Midland Railway...all is forgiven !

Ted
Ted I usually park on Kings Road now, did used to park on the side streets off it but after getting told of that time (I mentioned it on here at the time) I don't risk it anymore. The same day I found a nail on my tyre. It is about 200 yards to the station from there but I feel relaxed about leaving my car there. I would never park at Old Trafford (Warwick Road) the area just has a really run down feel to it but its only 15 minutes walk from my house so I occasionally I walk it.

Now that Elisinore Road is closed due to the building of the new tram depot Trafford Bar is a little trickier to get to but again its too rough and not enough parking.

One thing I just thought of Ted that when the Metrolink does open you might find parking more difficult :( I also suspect that the Morrisons car park will get busier. The council aka Sir Bernstain are planning of pulling all the centre area down and apart of that plan is to make better parking in the area. However I have been told that a major part of the tram for the metrolink coming is to pull down Oswald Road school :(. The rumours have been going round for years but a certain relative very high up in the council has confirmed the plans are pretty much definite :(

The reason for all this development is the council expect the new tram stops to bring a lot more people into the area which is already over crowded and busy :(.
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - tiredeyes
Good job we have sold and installing 221 new TVM (ticket vending machines) around Manchester Metro (GMPTE) so that everyone can purchase a ticket.
tinyurl.com/y9lopnd

lets people leave that car at home, leaving the motorway free for me to blast up M6 to install them !
Now I know who to blame if I can't get a ticket :) You have to have a ticket for the Metrolink as the fine is £100. The new machines will be such a welcome addition though.

I really also hope that GMPTE do their best to end the culture of the metrolink is free. I think with their tough fines people are finally realising they have to pay for it. The best thing about it is all the money used to fund the new extensions is self funded :).

Providing fast and reliable light rail systems is the best way by far to encourage people to leave their cars at home. Sadly it has not been reliable lately but there are a lot of reasons for that.
Trains to Costly for Network Rail - 1400ted
No more will I go to Blandford Forum and Mortehoe.
On the slow train from Midsomer Norton and Mumby Road.
No churns, no porter.
No cat on seat.
At Chorlton cum Hardy and Chester le Street.
We won't be meeting again on the slow train.

( local mention there )
Flanders and Swann.

Ted
Trains too Costly for Network Rail - pmh3
Where's Costly?

Beeching closed the line in the mid 60s!
Okay I edited my typo in the main heading ;-)
Trains too Costly for Network Rail - Statistical outlier
You're no fun!
Well there's no Costly is there ;-)
Trains too Costly for Network Rail - Statistical outlier
I'd disagree, it's a perfectly manageable walk.

tinyurl.com/tocostly
But that's a "Costly Street". Not the town of Costly ;-) Not a manageable walk from Glasgow though.