03 1.9 Squirt noise on turning key... - TdiMatch
Hi, I have a TDi PD Match 100 and intermittently (usually when cold) when i turn the key ready to start the engine there is a loud squirt noise. The noise seems to be coming from beneath the drivers seat. Any ideas??
Thanks
03 1.9 Squirt noise on turning key... - 659FBE
Absolutely normal.

It's the in-tank lift pump pressurising the fuel system at key "on". It's more noticeable at cold start because there is usually some trapped air in the system when the car has been standing for a while which is purged from the system when the pump first runs - hence the noise.

03 1.9 Squirt noise on turning key... - craig-pd130

Seconded, it's a trademark of the VAG PD engined-cars. Nothing to worry about out.
03 1.9 Squirt noise on turning key... - TdiMatch
Thanks very much. I did think it sounded something like that but wasn't sure. Will it get worse and ever need a repair? And does the level of fuel in the tank make a difference?
03 1.9 Squirt noise on turning key... - craig-pd130

No, it's just a characteristic of the engine and car. I seem to remember my Passat was more likely to do it if fuel level was below 1/4 of a tankful but not certain.

It will only ever need a fix if the lift pump in the tank (which is what you hear) fails. But it's not a stressed, high-pressure component, failures are not common.
03 1.9 Squirt noise on turning key... - Lud
Yes. The time to start worrying is when you don't hear it.
03 1.9 Squirt noise on turning key... - DP
Yup, our mkIV Golf does it as well. As others have said, nothing to worry about.