02 1.9 tdi power loss / limp home mode - thisnthis
Hi. I am the owner of a VW Bora 1.9 tdi 130 SE, 6 speed on a 52 reg.

Recently, whilst driving, the car loses power/limp mode. Once I turn the ignition off and re-start the car. It is OK. However, it does it again.

I had someone look at the car. There were error codes showing the turbo is overboosting resulting it to go into limp mode. I had the 3 sensors at the back of the engine changed. (The ones which has the turbo pipes going in and out of it). However, the problem is re-curring.

More recently, whilst driving once I get to about 2 -3 revs the car starts shuddering and the ABS light comes on. The RAC had a look at the car and told me the car is running beautifully and I might have gone over some oil on the road. Shortly after, this problem and the power loss kept recurring.

Out of frustration I went to the VW dealers, who told me for a fixed fee of £100 they will diagnose it for me. They charged me £100 and told me there were lots of faults showing and having cleared them there were 2 faults still showing, fuel pump relay and something to do with the radiator sensor. They told me they wanted me to have these repaired first before they diagnose it any further, at a huges cost. (Found it cheeky of them to do this).

I changed the fuel pump relay. However, the problem is still recurring. Matters are getting ahead now as I can't find anyone who can simply tell me what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it. I have been told it may probably be the turbo as in it is not giving the correct amount of turbo becasue it may need to be claned up from inside, leaving the turbo sensor to think it is over boosting resulting it to go into limp mode and also with the turbo not giving the correct amount of turbo, the right amount of power is not getting to the wheels, hence the ABS kicking in.

One thing I haven't changed is the airflow sensor. I want to resolve this problem as it is causing me daily inconvenience ie shopping, school runs etc.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is. Your help will be very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

{Header changed - no need to SHOUT!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/11/2009 at 12:26

02 1.9 VW BORA 1.9 tdi POWER LOSS/LIMP MODE - craig-pd130

I'd suspect the turbo's variable nozzle mechanism (VNT) which controls the boost is sticking. Quite common on these motors.

A quick forum search will give some answers on how to deal with it
02 1.9 VW BORA 1.9 tdi POWER LOSS/LIMP MODE - 659FBE
I would agree.

Are you sure that the "ABS" light is not in fact the traction control (I forget VAG's nickname for it) indicator - orange with a triangle inside it?

The illumination of the traction control limiter light would be consistent with an overboost condition due to sticking VNT vanes.

The advice from your VAG dealer seems very questionable.

02 1.9 VW BORA 1.9 tdi POWER LOSS/LIMP MODE - thisnthis
Thank you for your reply. Very much appreciated. It is in fact the Traction Control light.

I am consdering having th turbo cleaned from inside to resolve this problem.

Kind regards.
SnipQuote again - please don't quote the whole message you're replying to (ie, summarise it), and especially not after your written text, but before it}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2009 at 13:49

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated. I will speak to my mechanic to attempt to diagnose this problem further. I may consider having the turbo cleaned out from inside.

Kind regards.
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2009 at 13:47

02 1.9 VW BORA 1.9 tdi POWER LOSS/LIMP MODE - craig-pd130
It may be worth trying to free the mechanism from outside first. If a mechanic has the VAG-COM cable and software for VAG cars, he can trigger a VNT "cycle" test that runs while the car is ticking over. A couple of goes of this might work.

There's also an external linkage that controls the movement of the VNT mechanism. This can get sticky with road dirt & debris.

By leaning over the engine and looking down behind it (between the back of the engine and the bulkhead), the turbo is nestling down there. You can aim a can of WD40 with straw at it. Hose the VNT linkage down, leave 10 mins, hose it again.

Leave another 10 mins, then go for a drive using a fair bit of throttle and varying the revs between 1750 and 3000rpm.

Both worth a try before a turbo strip, which will see the car off the road for 2 days at least ...
Thank you for your reply.

I had a mechaninc who put a computer on the car. He told me the faults show something is earthing hence why the car go's into limp mode.

I'm not too sure whether this is related to the turbo needing cleaning but my mechanic suggest it may be something to do with the wiring. The car has 170000 miles on the clok. I suggest the turbo may need a clean.

If anyone has any ideas how to diagnose, your help will be much appreciated.

kind regards.
02 1.9 VW BORA 1.9 tdi POWER LOSS/LIMP MODE - karak
Hi Craig,

Could you tell me where is the VNT linkage what I have to hose down with the wd-40?
ANd how does it look like?
02 1.9 tdi power loss / limp home mode - thisnthis
Hi,

I went to my mechanic today who put his computer on and the following codes came up:

1. 17932
2. 17957
3. 18074
4. 18080
5. 19461

I have changed the 3 sensors at the back of the car. However, the problems which are still occuring:

1. The car loses power and once I turn the car off and restart it again, it is OK.

2. Whilst driving the car starts shuddering, like it is missing then the traction control light comes on.

Any idea of what could be cauisng this problem and how to resovle this would be much appreciated.

Kind regrds.
02 1.9TD Power Loss. - thisnthis
Hi,

I am the owner of a VW Bora 1.9td 52 reg 130 SE.

I have recently been incurring some problems with power loss. Whilst driving, the car would go into limp mode and then on restarting the car, it would be ok again. I was told it was turbo related. I therefore changed the 3 sensors at the back of the car, I think they are called the solunoids.

The problem continued and then I was told it was the turbo itself. Further, whilst driving the car would start shaking and then the traction control light would come on. I therefore had the turbo cleaned out from inside.

The problem persisted. I hadf a computer put on the car which read the following codes:

1. 17932
2. 17957
3. 18074
4. 18080
5. 19461

I have since changed the Fuel Relay Pump and the Mass Air Flow Meter. Since then the car is driving much better. However, occasionally, the power still cuts out. Also, after accelerating over 3 rev's the car occasionally shudders, like it is missing.

This problem is beginning to be a bit of a nuisance not just because of the cost involved but the time and interference with daily activities like work and family and daily chores.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Shouting in subject line amended and year changed from reg code

Edited by Pugugly on 19/11/2009 at 09:44

02 1.9TD Power Loss. - ark eye
Hi ive had this problem with the the car going into limp mode (re-sets its self when switched off), after 2 years of putting up with it and putting redex in the deisel i changed the air flow meter, boost control valve and all the vacum pipes with no change. last week i pulled the vacum pip off the turbo and sucked it ( no jokes! ) like trying to suck a stone through a straw then i heard a metalic click and like a rusty creaking sound.After doing this a few times it was easyer to suck lol and you could here the sound with every time. When taking the car for a test drive after what a differance power all through the rev range rather than just high boost for 2000rpm then dropping off. i hope this helps other people as ive spent hours reading about this fault and the cost others have gone through with garages telling people they need a new turbo! mine was an easy fix but others might not be, one thought if you could make a vacume stronger than the one used to open the vains on the turbo then this could free it up without having to suck the pipe.
02 1.9 tdi power loss / limp home mode - redbob

Hi i have a 01 bora 115 pd 6 speed

This limp mode only started occasinally about 300 miles this was after i did a headgasket change, turbo recondition,new rad with sensor ,new thermostat,new water pump, timing belt change,and a service.

Had the car checked and only faults that showed were ones i created stripping engine cleared these and no probs for a week. Then started limp mode all the time, Read your symptoms and I checked the vacum on turbo actuator working fine, egr valve disconnected due to not closing. Then changed T on top of diesel filter no change.

Then i changed the diesel filter again just to eliminate it gave car good run around and seems to have cured the problem, will have computer check again to see if any faults have shown up.

I know this may be of no use to you now but may help someone else.