Peugeot 406 Coupe Water Leak!! - joates
I recently bought a secondhand 406 coupe which I love except for......

The passenger footwell started to fill up with water!! (literally) with some days over a pint of water hoovered out. With the radio and fan turned off I can hear water trickling as you go around a right hand bend and the left hand side is lower than the right. The leak is freshwater and not coolant / washer fluid etc.

Water appears to be coming out of a small drain hole in a unit (I think a fan housing)up behind the glovebox

During the 15 days I've owned the car it has spent five days in with the Peugeot Dealer trying to sort the fault. When it came out they had replaced the door seal. I drove the car for about an hourand the same problem existed.

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to fix the problem myself. I removed the aircon drain hose to check and see that the unit was draining successfully - it seems OK. I have checked the air intake in front of the windscreen - all the covers and seals appear to be in place.

Please does anyone have any ideas on how to fix my mobile aquarium???

John
Peugeot 406 Coupe Water Leak!! - mscott
Have you got a sunshine roof? Water won't go uphill so it must be coming down to the leakage point. Is one of the sunshine roof drain holes (which go through the pillars) blocked?
Sorry! No sunshine roof!!

So
Peugeot 406 Coupe Water Leak!! - Dynamic Dave
Have you tried sitting/laying down in the car while you get a mate to point a hosepipe at the car?
Start watering low down and gradually go up until you see leak appear in car. It should give you a rough indication of where the water is entering, then you fine tune with, say a watering can.
This is the strange thing. When the car is stationary there is no water leak. I have hosed it down / washed it etc. several times and no leak. The water only seems to get into the car as you drive along.

The car had been standing outside the Garage I bought it from for about a month before I finalised the deal and had paper mats in the front. These were bone dry when I took delivery of the car and after about 1 hr of driving I noticed the water.

The only way I can think of finding the leak is to dismantle the dashboard and I see that as a last option which I dont feel I could do without some knowledge of how this is put together.

Peugeot 406 Coupe Water Leak!! - Dynamic Dave
The car had been standing outside the Garage I bought it from
for about a month before I finalised the deal and had paper
mats in the front. These were bone dry when I took delivery
of the car and after about 1 hr of driving I noticed the water.

Why not approach the garage you bought it from and get them to fix it? It sounds very much why the previous owenr got shot of it. Have you tried contacting the previous owner? Details will be on log book. Providing he's not ex-directory, give directory enquires a ring to get his number.
All

Thanks for the words of wisdom from everyone. Appreciated!!

It looks as though there is no easy answer to this problem. It looks like I will have to go back to the Peugeot Dealer. During the days they had my car they managed to break / damage and lose a number of items of trim which makes me reluctant to entrust my car to them again. The next dealer is a good few miles away. I will try getting in touch with the previous owner to see if he suffered with a leaking car, when I get the log book back from the DVLA.

Regards

John
Peugeot 406 Coupe Water Leak!! - verglas
The most common problem with these is the air conditioning drain tube becoming detached. Its amazing how much water is produced especially in warm weather. Does yours have A/C?
Yes my car has a/c I took the hose off at the point it passes through the floor. I ran the a/c to see if water actually came out and there was a bit, but not much. I wondered if the a/c unit was blocked inside resulting in water backing up to the fan housing but it seems a bit improbable. I am pretty sure that water is lying in the connecting tube between the fan and the a/c unit as I can also see water dripping out from the sensor unit which detects the incoming air temp and is mounted in this tube.

I'll keep persevering as the garage dont seem to be able to fix despite another couple of attemps since I originally posted this thread.
Peugeot 406 Coupe Water Leak!! - verglas
The next test is the good old "taste test".
If the water you are getting in your car has no taste then it is most likely from the a/c system, it it has a sweet sickly pungent taste then it is obviously from the cooling system, that is assuming that you use a/freeze.
Good Luck!
Yes its good clear highland water.... so probably out the a/c unit. The pipe seems OK, its connected to a clear hole in the floor. I can see its fastened at the other end up by the a/c unit; but to actually get the pipe off would entail taking the dashboard off!! It maybe the only way but I'm not looking forward to it.

Thanks for the help
Peugeot 406 Coupe Water Leak!! - wymele
I've also got a mobile aquarium, it's driving me mad! I have discovered that the water is collecting in door sill, when this becomes full, it slops over into the passenger footwell & soaks the carpet. I removed the black cover from the door sill, inserted a plastic tube & siphoned out a considerable amount of water. At first I thought the water was getting in through one of the door seals, so I taped them up with duck tape, but to no avail, the next time it rained the sill was full of water again. I guess i'm going to have to be more liberal with the duck tape, i'm going to try taping up the outside of the passenger door & see if that cures the problem.

If anyone knows how to cure this problem, please let me know & put me out of my misery?

Mike
The leak I reported some time ago has been sorted. But I'm not entirely sure which of the following two methods provided the solution. Like your problem a considerable amount of water in the passenger footwell and the sill.

The garage had several attempts at trying to sort the problem none of which seemed successful. I traced some of the water problem to the internal heating system. I'm not sure how the water got into the system but was backed up to the blower housing. The water also was coming out of the air channels that link to the passenger air vent and was running down the plastic fittings through a hole into the sill. I disconnected the air conditioning drain hose under the centre console and after dislodging bits of sealant etc got quite a lot of water coming out. I refitted the hose (quite fiddly)

A few days later the car went into the dealer, as arranged the previous week and they replaced the door seal.

I never got to find out which of the two solved the water problem. However the inside of the car is dry!

Hope this helps

John