03 1.2 sudden loss of power - chrisbakeradi
Hi all I'm new to the forum although i have been visiting as a guest for a while now. I have found it very useful, However I have a problem with my car now that i need some help with!
My Car: Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique 2003
Engine:D4f712
Current Milage>120,000m

When i try to pull away, as i bring up the clutch it reaches the biting point and suddenly the power dissapears then comes back with a vengance, making it very difficult to pull away smoothly. Once driving along it feels like its losing power for very short periods of time almost like you were lifting off the gas and then back on again, especially when you accelerate at anyting more than a very gentle pace. It does this in every gear.

Its not the clutch as that was replaced Fairly recently and it is a definate loss in power not clutch slipping.

It has had a few electrical problems recently and I have removed the ECU black box cover and repaired the wiring. it has also had in the last couple of weeks a new coil pack and plugs (from Renault) a new MAP sensor. the previous problem of rough idling and stalling i think was a combo of all this things but especially the throttle body which i have cleaned.

The Ecu has not stored any codes but i was told when looking at the live data that the cat didnt seem to be working. Could this be the cause of my problems? have I caused the problem when removing inlet manifold to clean throttle? I'm no expert, just very annoyed at my car which always seems to have something going wrong!!!
Thanks for taking the time to read this. any thoughts appreciated.

Chris

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/11/2009 at 00:26

03 1.2 sudden loss of power - Altea Ego
It does sound like the throttle body. Make sure the crank sensor has been changed
Hi the TDC sensor isn't the original but was changed a few years ago.
Wouldn't a problem here cause problems with starting aswell?

The problem has now been sorted but not sure what the cause was:

I tried some Redex in the tank
Cleaned Coolant temp sensor connection and earth connections on engine/gearbox

It came up with a code for the brakelight switch which when i checked wasn't activating the brake lights until pedal very firmly pressed so adjusted the pressure switch (clicked it in a notch) so that it was slightly shorter.

After a few minutes back on the road and it was as good as gold and has been now for last few days.!!??

Chris
03 1.2 sudden loss of power - ricey
Hi Chris,
I noticed that you mentioned you had electrical prolems involving the ECU. Ive got a prolem with my clio 1.4 RT involving the dianostics computer saying, "idle control valve open circuit', and have been told there might be a break or short somewhere in the wiring from the ECU to idle control causing the engine to cut out and revs to drop. Do you know where i might find the break?? any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi to be honest with you i'm really no expert. Your engine is different to mine but i would have a close look all the way along the loom from the ecu connectors to the various different other sensors and connections. check all connections and give them a good clean to make sure they are making a good contact(no oil or dirt etc...) I used WD40 for this.
Check the wiring has no obvious breaks in it. look for where it may rub or get caught.
The trouble with these sort of electrical problems is that they all display similar symptoms

Sorry i cant be much help

Regards

Chris