What auto? - Emerson Fittipaldi
I have £600 to £1000 to spend on a cheap Automatic car for my partners business. I know this is not alot, but can anyone recommend a good reliable mid to large family car? (as she has to ferry kids around, school runs and day trips mostly!). I was thinking along the lines of either a Volvo 440 or maybe somthing else of similar size. Thanks.
What auto? - Paul Robinson
Anything will be a bit of a gamble in this price range, but I'd look at a some Vauxhall Carltons. There is a reasonable supply of automatics and if you look at a few you should come across one that has been well looked after by it's middle class owner!(You do include large family cars in your question)
What auto? - Crombster
I would be worried about buying a cheap auto as the expense of repairing any faults is astronomical. £1500 to rebuild an Omega autobox, which will no doubt be the same as the Carlton. At that age though I guess you could just switch the box with something from a breakers should it go...

What auto? - Harmattan
If it must be an auto, the overall merits of which in today's traffic conditions I am increasingly convinced, there seems to be one important rule--avoid Renaults at all costs. That makes me wonder about the Volvo 440 which I thought had a Renault engine. Where does its 'box come from?

Carltons have a good reputation but I have no experience. However, I would tend to shy away from most of the bread-and-butter car manufacturers for an automatic unless it is clear that the car you are looking at has had a private owner or a rock solid service history. Carltons, Mondeos,Peugeot 406s and so on are likely to have been company purchases and therefore possibly serviced with a view to an economic service life only while in the original company owner's hands.

With autos I have tended to look for cars which would be preferred by well-off private owners. That means Saabs, bigger Volvos, Hondas and Mercedes, but maybe Volkswagens and Audis also fit the bill. My wife's current car is a Honda Legend 2.7 which fits into your price range now for the 88-90 models and does 28 mpg which is good for a big engined, big auto. An Accord might suit even better but only 3-doors might rule out the early Aerodecks.

For good spares availability, the Golf or Jetta autos should be fine, as should the Peugeot 309. These are relatively simple. Older cars like Audi 200s will come in cheaper at £400 or so and, depending on your outlook, can be thrown away once a year's MOT is up. Since the cost of autobox repairs is likely to be high for any older car, I wouldn't worry too much about that--you can either afford it or not. If it drives well, the fluid is the correct colour, and the price is right then anything over the year is a bonus in that price range.

To sum up, my rule with autos has always been to go for something that cost a lot of money when new, appears to have had caring owners, and is not so expensive I will be hurt when it fails after three months. The only autobox failure I have had was with a Lancia Beta coupe which had a unique gearbox found in no other car. The six-cylinder Volvos, a Peugeot, the Legend, and a SAAB 4-cylinder were all bought with 80,000-100,000 miles and worked well. I also had good experiences with Ford CVT company cars but appear to be alone on that score.

To sum up, if you live near Eastbourne or Worthing you should have plenty of choice, otherwise scan the local paper for private sales of quality cars where the private owner has kept them too long for them to have any trade-in value.
What auto? - Dorian
[Stands up in front of a bunch of people]

"Hello, my name is Dorian and I used to own a Renualt 19 auto"

I concur with David - avoid Renault auto's (esp the Ren. 19 1.8 auto). I had all sorts of problems with this car (not just with the box).

Dorian.
What auto? - Emerson Fittipaldi
Cheers everyone, this has certainly gave me something to go on. I live in South Derbyshire, so auto's are very rare in this area, unlike the London area where they seem to be loads to choose from. I only want a cheap 2nd car for the missus, as it will only be used for light school runs, and the occasional day trip. Thanks again.
What auto? - Motel
Hi i have owned a 1984 VOLVO 740 GL Petrol Auto 148.780 miles for the last 15 years
this is a very good car apoox 28 MPG on a run depends on your right foot Iwas offerd £200 Part exchange for my new car so have decided to keep it for my wife or should one of my kids need a car in a hurry good hunting
What auto? - Phil G
Can't disagree with the Carlton recommendation - my auto 92 Diplomat has been trouble free regarding the gearbox and the changes are very smooth with new ATF.

Hang on, I just remembered it is for sale! All the luxury you could want for £950. (hint hint)
What auto? - steve t
Would recommend the MK 2 GOLF as being a reliable car and having a reliable autobox. However, your price range is something of a minefield and in addition to the normal mechanical checks you would make, for a mk2 golf you should also check:

that there are no leaks from doors

that the heater works

that all dashboard lights work

that the carb isn't knackered (pierburg 2e2 - useless from cold )

I speak from experience as I got shot of mine 6 months ago with all these problems, and 135 k on the clock (to the dealer in the sky - no unsuspecting buyer!!) but would still have another.

You should also try for power steering unless SWMBO has arms like popeye.

Happy Hunting