Worn crankshaft - Buzby
I had a problem with my S reg 1.9 turbo diesel 306, the crankshaft pulley came loose. When I phoned the garage to find out how the repair was going I heard a mechanic tell the person I was speaking to that the engine was knackered. I asked what this was about and she said someone will call me back later.

They did call me to tell me that the pulley had worn the crankshaft away and that they would have to replace it for about £200.

When I collected the car today they said that they hadn't replaced the crankshaft but had filled the the chanell where the key sits with liquid metal and this will do the trick.

Will this repair last or is it just a blatant bodge to get me out the door. They incedentally fitted a new cambelt a few months back. is it possible that they didn't reasemble the bits properly and this inturn led to the damage.

In short do I have a case against them and if so, how would I go about it?

Many thanks

Jason

Worn crankshaft - duggie
Hi Jason, it seems more than a coincidence that soon after the cambelt being replaced the crankshaft pulley should come loose, l would suspect that the bottom pulley was not tightened to its proper torque setting, as for this liquid metal repair l certainly wouldn't be happy with this, if this was to give way under speed say goodbye to your engine and wallet.
Duggie
Worn crankshaft - BrianW
The rear sprocket on my motorcycle has a design fault which means that play develops after 40k or so.
Liquid metal has been tried on it but it doesn't last.
HTH
Worn crankshaft - martint123
I'd have though 200 quid was cheap for a new crank (parts + time).

This seems to be a fairly common problem with early MX5's and there is a well documented fix using specific Loctite liquid metal that from reports is very sucessfull. From the blurb "By the way, Loctite 660 was formulated by Loctite for pulley and keyway repair".
From reading up on this its appears that wrongly fitted parts and torque settings can be a major cause of the problem.

Details at:-

www.miata.net/garage/hsue/LoctiteCrank1.html

martin
Worn crankshaft - CMark {P}
Hi Martin,
excellent link which well illustrates a classic problem not unheard of on many engines. That photo titled "Pulley removed to show worn keyway" made me wince.

Your link is a good example of the kind of high quality resource posted on the internet by owners clubs who are looking to save themselves money and get their cars running better. Long live the revolution!

CMark
Worn crankshaft - RichardW
Buzby,

Check your invoice for the cambelt job - if it does not list a new crank pulley bolt I think you might have a good case, as seem to remember that the bolt is of the stretch type and must be replaced in order to get the correct tension on the bolt. You'd need to get hold of the Peugeot factory manual to confirm this. The liquid metal repair may well hold, BUT... IF the damn thing comes loose, you will lose the timing of the camshaft, with possible results equivalent to a failed cambelt. Not nice. They also might just have daubed it all over the sprocket, meaning you might not be able to get it off.

A new crankshaft is an engine out job, so is going to cost a lot more than £200.

Your best bet, if you cannot show the garage as negligent would be to get an independent to fit another engine when (if) the other one fails.

Richard
Worn crankshaft - Buzby
Many thanks for all your replies. Nice link Martin, made me feel a little better about the situation. Richard, no bolt has been added to either of the two invoices so I can only assume that they have reused the same one. I spoke to a mechanic who works at a Renault main dealers who said that it is not uncommon for them to do this sort of job without telling the customer. How many of us are driving about with these bodged up cars due to the incompetence of the garage?

I'm not going to take this any further with the garage as it is going to be difficult to prove. Unless the repair fails in which case I will try. I have been using this garage for 8 years now but they will not be getting any more business from me in the future.

Many thanks to all

Regards

Jason