99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - stuartl
I am not sure how but I have lost the key for my Ford locking wheel nuts on my Focus.
I was hoping it would be easy to get another one from Ford but they were very unhelpful and told my wife that their 'Rapid Fit' centre would remove the old nuts and charge us £40 for the new ones plus the labour to remove the old. This to me seems absurd and in any case hell would freeze over before I would let one of those places anywhere near my car.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Stuart
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - loadsofpugs
Depending which nuts they are some are very easy to remove. Where are you?
I am in Gloucester - you are not gonna come and nick my wheels are you?!!!
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - Galaxy
Try a tyre place, they will probably be able to get the nuts off.

I know how to do it but I probably can't post it on here; security implications!

99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - Chris M
HJ's column in today's DT. Try www.McGard.com.
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - Simon
I would have thought that Ford would have been able to supply a wheel nut key to match the existing ones assuming that you have some info to go on. I assume that the wheels/locking nuts have been fitted from new? I am sure that the key for my Focus nuts came in a 'colour coded' labelled bag thingy or something like that. I am sure that mine is marked up as 'purple'.
I would have thought this too Simon, I am hardly likely to drive a car to a Ford DEaler if I had stolen it and wanted the wheels from it and even so I can provide proof that I own the car! There cant be that many different 'combinations' of stud design. I just feel it it a classic case of main dealer rip-off yet again. I know that when I do eventually get these nuts off, the last place I will be going for new nuts is my local Ford Dealer!

What is so frustrating is that I had the key earlier on this year and it has just disappeared!
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - bell boy
ford dealer parts centres have become really obstreperous this last few years,but with your car details could have easily ordered a new removal tool for you
i had to do a focus last month and used one of those reverse spiral locking nut removal sockets,they are about £5 at brown brothers trade
make sure if you do go this route to give the nut a good few bashes first to shock it in its hole or you might fail to do the job
tyre bays normally charge £20 to do all 4 and its another £20 for a new set unless you opt for plain nuts from the breaker (if you go this route and let me know via the mods i can post you 4 nuts that will replace your lockers)

Edited by Webmaster on 26/10/2009 at 01:01

Thanks Bellboy and all the other posters. I am very peeved I must say that Ford, as you say, cannot simply supply me with a replacement tool. I wont bother with the locking nuts as I cannot imagine there is much of a market for the standard Ford alloys that I have and I like to think I live and keep the car in a nice area. I will PM you regarding the four replacement studs, cheers,

Stuart
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - bell boy
its what i would do too
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - mikej
> I wont bother with the locking nuts as I cannot imagine there is much of a market for the standard Ford alloys that I have and I like to think I live and keep the car in a nice area

A quick look on eBay will show you that, for example, Zetec alloys go for anything from £40 each upwards.

Rather than risk your wheels being easy pickings for the casual thief, I'd recommend doing what you're supposed to do (in the event of punctures) and that's keep your alloy wheel key in the car - that way you won't lose it !

:o)
mikej, this is the REALLY frustrating point!!! In June I changed the front pads but left the back as I didnt want all four sets bedding in at the same time. I put the remaining set of pads in the glovebox with the wheel nut key. Two weeks ago I went to change the pads and the key wasnt there. I just cannot understand where it has gone! Arghhhh!!!
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - bathtub tom
>>I put the remaining set of pads in the glovebox with the wheel nut key

I'm sure you thought you did!

I'm sure we've all been there - I have.

I find the best thing to do is go and look for something else. You probably won't find your locking wheel nut key, but several other things you've been looking for will turn up and you never know............
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - Simon
Have you tried a different Ford dealer, one that may be more helpful?
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - Alby Back
Given that most thieves would be fairly sure that the wheelnut key is probably inside the vehicle anyway, I really wonder if these locking nuts are any real deterrent to a determined one.

I think wheelnut keys should have a loop on them so they can double as keyrings.

Have I just invented that ?

;-)
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - L'escargot
I think wheelnut keys should have a loop on them so they can double as
keyrings.

Mine weighs a hefty 100 grams. It would soon wear a hole in your pocket.
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - Dynamic Dave
I wont bother with the locking nuts as I cannot imagine there is much of a market for
the standard Ford alloys ....

There is also a market for 2nd hand tyres as well as wheels. Although your alloys might not be worth all that much, the rubber boots fitted to them may well be. If locking bolts delays a potential thief for a few seconds longer, then he's more liable to get caught than nicking wheels & tyres from a car with no locks.
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - L'escargot
I bought a spare wheelnut key (in case I lost the original) at a Ford dealer without any problem. I can't remember what identification details I had to give. If you have the original polythene bag I think the coloured dot on it will help, although quoting the car's VIN should be sufficient.
L'escargot I dont have the polythene bag but I agree quoting the VIN should be enough as these are Ford factory fitted items, coupled with the fact that I would most likely be driving the car to the dealer to purchase the wheel nut key. I just feel that as my wife went to the dealer she was simply fobbed off because she was a female.
99 1.9 Locking wheel nuts - Lost the key - macavity
www.lockingwheelnutremover.co.uk/
www.justoffbase.co.uk/Tool-Shop/Wheel-Nut-Tools
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Uc2SlkSPM