'87 Jetta - rear window stuck! - r_welfare
Hi folks,

Wonder if you can help me with my newly-acquired 1987 VW Jetta TX. One of the "haggling points" on purchase was the fact that the driver's side rear window was being supported by plastic pegs (!) at the base - the winder doesn't work.

Now, I've got my Haynes manual in the post, so preferring to err on the side of caution all I have done is taken off the winding handle, and established that the splines within are not damaged, so that's one obvious solution out of the way!

Any ideas what else it could be, such as the winding mechanism has become dislodged in some way, or something like that? Is this a common feature of old Jettas/Golfs?

Any help much appreciated!
'87 Jetta - rear window stuck! - Ian D
Take off the inner door trim - ususlly involves removing the armrest and other handles etc then removing any screws before gently pulling off - follow the Haynes procedure and it only takes a few minutes.

My 85 Golf had similar trouble on a front door, once the trim is off have a good look inside with torch/mirror and it should be obvious. On mine the winder drives a cable mechanism where the wire had broken. I bought a cable mechanism from German and Swedish (or maybe Eurocarparts do them) and it was quite easy to fit. Failing that check the window is moving in the guides OK and hasn't popped out.

'87 Jetta - rear window stuck! - Ian D
What I forgot to say was once the trim is off you will come across a membrane which you will need to carefully peel back in order to gain access to the door cavity. Try and stick it back when done and if damaged repair with tape or else you could get water seep into the floor carpet.
'87 Jetta - rear window stuck! - Big Vern
The windows in VAG cars of this era operated by cable. It is very common for the cable to rust up in the winder and for it all to jam solid, especially if the window is not used regularly. I had this problem with the rear drivers side window in a MKII golf I owned a while ago, I never sit in the back of my own cars, so it did not concern me. I used black silicon sealent to seal it shut. The bloke I sold the car to was happy enough as well, he did not intend sitting in the back either :o)

Still a differnt kettle of fish if you have kids!

If you damage the membrane when removing the door panel, thick plastic available from all good DIY stores and copydex work a treat!

'87 Jetta - rear window stuck! - r_welfare
Thanks Vern,

I'll look into that in due course. I tend to need the window when I transport mates back from the pub who can get a bit "queasy"...

Richard