2003 Airbag Module - Norn-Iron
Hello everyone, I hope you may be able to help me out in regards to a fault code on my 2003 Mazda 6 diesel. Recently on Mazda diagnostics a fault code appeared on the computer B1871 - Passenger airbag deactive, module fault

Automatically I was told by the mechanic, that'll be £400 odd for a new module, to which I declined as I didnt have that sort of money. Now my question is this, could this fault code be due to the passenger side airbag being deactivated for posisbly a child seat? The airbag light does not illuminate at all on the dash when the ingnition is turned and I thought if a fault was in the system this should stay on?

Also there's another light above the ashtray with shows a baby seat on the front passenger seat and an airbag which does illuminate green and then goes off after 5 seconds or so and I was wondering what this light is for as I have herad the passenger side airbag can be switched off for the purpose of a baby seat.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
N-I

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2009 at 01:42

2003 Airbag Module - macavity
Might be worth asking these people:
www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx
2003 Airbag Module - davecuk
It certainly sounds as though the airbag has been turned off. Sometimes the switches for these are hidden in non obvious places and need a key to operate them. Presumably you have checked in the glove box and in all the usual places?

I think on some of the Mazdas though they have an automatic system....dunno how it works.

Edited by davecuk on 23/10/2009 at 22:53

Thanks guys, I will check out the website and also check out to see if I can find any switches round the glove box or passenger side. The car has never been in an accident or anything, so it is strange as I dont think it would be faulty without registering a light constantly on, on the main array. Although I dont like tampering at airbags for obvious reasons; ie setting it off.

Cheers,
N-I

2003 Airbag Module - cj1000
hi the code your you state points to the seat ocupancy mat not the air bag module the mechanic has misdiagnosed the bad news is the light will return at some point and the only fix is a new seat base (around £750 plus fitting) on a british mazda 6 pre facelift (face lift carried out 2006) there is no switch to turn off the passenger air bag i am affraid
hope this helps
Thanks cj1000, £750 plus fitting, Ouch! Seems everything on the Mazda is massive money!
I know that the seat occupancy mat you state is on the passenger side, but can I ask if this is incorporated into the seat itself? IE a new seat needed?

I was reading up on the airbags in a user manual and it states, donot place anything under the seats of this car. I actually had a CD pouch of CD's under it at one stage and was wondeirng if that pushed under the seat would have done anything to any plugs?

Cheers,
Norm-Iron

the occupancy mat is built into the seat. It sits between the fome and the cloth. If it were my car i would get a replacment from a scrap dealer (and swap the cloth if not the same trim) and get the code reset that should save some money the plugs for the seat are at the back if you slide the seat all the way forward you'll see a white and a yellow conector the yellow is for the air bag system (do not touch before carring the safety percedure the bags may go off) i can't see how you could disturb it.
Thanks again cj1000, seems you have done this before? I will have a hunt round some local auto salvage yards and see if any if I can locate an occupancy mat or entire seat to strip down. May I ask why this would go faulty just out of curiosity or what may have caused it? .... (if you know)

I have checekd and see the yellow plugs alright, I take it the safety procedure you refer to is disconnecting the positive terminal of teh battery for approx 10 minutes before touching these.

One last thing, I'm due to leave the car in for a service with Mazda, now if this code flashed up on their computer the likelyhood is they will wnat to repair. Do you know if I can say no to this being fixed by them, just to service the car?

Thanks again,
N-I

By the way cj1000, is ther any literature on the airbag system set up in a 2003 Mazda 6? I have large workshop PDF manuals, but nothing indicating seat occupancy mats etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
N-I

Edited by Norn-Iron on 18/11/2009 at 21:02

Hello again, I was just wondering if any of you have ever used or tried one of these air bag-sensor mat modules, such as Item number: 150389567461 on ebay?

I cant see any problem in fitting one of these, just means that the airbag will go off in an accident even in no one in the passenger seat.

Anyone used one before?

Thanks,
N-I
hi i never tried parts off ebay so can not comment, a good dealer will quote for the air bag system repair probably will quote 0.5 hours diag for the fault or will quote for a replacement part and labour to fit they may fit cutomer supplied parts but each dealer will have its own policy the details for the system are not puplicly avalible as far as i know (you can get an auto data type book supplied to garages but it's expencive and does all makes aprox £500 for a set of books). they may regard air bag systems as an safty system you may need to sign a disclamer to remove the car from the garage but no garage can make you take out work with them it's always your choice

Edited by cj1000 on 22/11/2009 at 18:46

Cheers cj1000, you're world of information, take it you've had a Mazda yourself or worked on them?

Thanks again,
N-I

Edited by Norn-Iron on 02/12/2009 at 20:29