98 1.6 wont start - danny306
had a look at my friends 306 as the electric windows wernt working, i disconnected the battery and began to search for the problem, i noticed a fuse had blown and a few wires had broken, i put in a new fuse and reconnected the wires and the windows worked fine. i then reconnected the battery and tried to start the car but it wouldnt go and the central locking had stopped working. i looked in my haines manual as i didnt no where to start i followed the instructions and cleaned and sprayed all the connections with wd40. i then took one of the plugs out came to find there was no spark. ive was told the immobiliser had shut and wasnt allowing the ecu to send power and cause a spark becuase the key wasnt being recognised. so i tried the spare but still no joy. just wondered if anyone had any idea as my friend is desperate for the car. many thanks.
98 1.6 wont start - andrewuwe
When you say "the central locking had stopped working" was it locking then unlocking straight away? Were the wires you fixed in the drivers door connector? You might have connected something wrong there.

Did you try the bypass the immobilizer trick from the haynes manual. Can't remember if it works on the 98 but something like: unlock the door with the key,put the key in ignition and press the silence alarm button?
98 1.6 wont start - danny306
yes the central locking was working fine locking an unlocking on the button and in the door. now it works neither on the button or in the drivers door. the wires that had broken were coming out of the car and had broken off at the plug between the car and the door. i have now took my wiring out so the wiring is back to the way i found it but it still wont start.

i cant seem to find the deactivating my manual, also where abouts is the silence alarm button?

many thanks.
98 1.6 wont start - andrewuwe
Sorry I don't have a 98 on my 1994 it has a button on the side behind steering wheel. You turn the ignition to II and then press this button I think. I bet the 98 is different.
98 1.6 wont start - xswhy?
The button is just above the ignition and has a symbol of three(ish) horizontal lines and a dot....

Tell me, do all the lights come on on the dash display and is there a mad-tick/pulsing noise when you turn the ignition to "II" with the key and absolutely nothing when you try and turn it over.....?

If so can someone who knows what they are doing and can explain things nice and simply and slowly get involved as I think I may have the same problem!