01 1.2 Engine cuts out and EML comes on. - Corsa Steve
My 1.2 SXi 16V Corsa has recently started cutting out after the engine reaches normal running temperature. This happens when slowing the car down, ie. coming off onto a slip road. It fires up again, but the rev counter has then stopped working and the light showing the engine block is on. After the car has cut out just the once it runs fine apart from the occasional splutter when accelerating or cruising along.
I have replaced the coolant temperature sensor, replaced the air filter, and put Redex through the throttle body (carberator), to no avail, the problem still persists!
When the car has been stood a while, ie. overnight, the rev counter works, until it does the cutting out thing again, but the engine block light is now permanently on, and it seems to be using more fuel than usual. What does this warning light mean.....?? Has anybody else had similair problems with their corsa?

Edited by Pugugly on 20/10/2009 at 19:50

01 1.2 Engine Cuts out and Orange engine light com - topbloke
next stop a code read, then we can help from there, anything else is just guessing,Regards TB
01 1.2 Engine Cuts out and Orange engine light com - Corsa Steve
Can I do this my self, (Ihave heard of the paperclip tecnique) but would not have the first idea how to do it, or will I have to take it to a garage.

Regards

Steve
depends on your confidence/skill level, instead of a paperclip use two bits off wire connected to a small fuse (5 amps ish no more) the garage will give you a more detailed diagnosis (at least they "should) and a quote to fix it your choice, Regards TB
I'm fairly skilled and confident, How do you do it, or could you point me in the right direction to get the details of the procedure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, plus I don't have much money as I'm out of wotk at the mo, and garages are robbing ********. lol

Regards

Steve
01 1.2 Engine Cuts out and Orange engine light com - Dynamic Dave
Can I do this my self (Ihave heard of the paperclip tecnique)

The paperclip trick won't work on your Corsa as it's too new.
So Im I right in thinking that my only option is to take it to a garage and have it put on a diagnostics machine?

In turn they will tell me the codes and what they mean, then I have to get the parts.

Steve
yes in a nut shell, they will plug it in record the codes then they should advise you as to what is needed to repair the vehicle and how much, you could get a mobile guy come to you just read the codes erase and leave you to it, do your home work on the web and then repair it with help from the guy,s on here, there are various ways but dont just keep throwing things at it hopeing to get lucky,Regards TB
Cheers mate you have been a great help.

Regards

Steve
01 1.2 Engine Cuts out and Orange engine light com - Dynamic Dave
So Im I right in thinking that my only option is to take it to a garage and have it put on a diagnostics machine?

Not sure if this will work with your car - it doesn't work on all Vauxhalls for some reason, but you could see if the 'pedal trick' works. Costs nothing to try:-

Brake and throttle pedal to the floor then turn on the ignition (but DON'T start the engine). If it works then the car/spanner light will blink the code(s)

Full info at:- www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-134139...l

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2009 at 00:16

01 1.2 Engine Cuts out and Orange engine light com - Rattle
It is probably a silly sensor. Get the fault code read and post the results here. Don't take the faults as face value. I have pretty much the same engine as you, I had a problem with random power loss, the fault code pointed to lamdba but with the help of this site and my existing knowledge of engenine management systems I thought it was the MAF. I took an £86 gamble and the MAF cured it. This was depsite the fault pointing towards the lamdba sensor. It was becausr the MAF had thrown out the fuel mixture and thus the lamdba error.
Went to Argos and got a CAM OBDII code reader, put it on the car and its given the following codes:-

P0335 - Crankshaft Positioning Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0115 - Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Malfunction

Not sure why its thrown up 2 P0335's, whats next, is it just a case of relpacing these sensors, or is there more to it than that?

Any help appreciated.

Steve

The crankshaft position sensor will cause your car to cut out (and also in some cases not to start) and it is a very common problem with the Corsa. You almost certainly need that.

The engine coolant problem will need a lot more investigation but there may be a common problem people on here can help you with. Glad to know the cheap generic Argos readers seem to work with this car. Does it allow you to reset fault codes etc though?
Firstly, why/how does the crankshaft position sensor cause the car to cut out?

Secondly, yer the Argos reader will allow you to read fault codes and delete them.

Cheers for that!

Most appreciated.

Steve
01 1.2 Engine Cuts out and Orange engine light com - elekie&a/c doctor
The crankshaft sensor measures the rotational speed of the engine,so if it fails,there is no rpm signal sent to the engine control unit and engine cuts out.The coolant temp sensor will not cause the engine to cut out but may give driveability problems.I would clean and tighten the contacts in the 2-pin plug and re-try .hth
We'll I've fixed it thank heavens!

I Went to Argos and got a CAM OBDII code reader, put it on the car and its given the following codes:-

P0115 - Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Malfunction

So I went to my local Vauxhall dealer and bought a Crankshaft Position Sensor @ £41.00 quid, I know that I could have got one on the net for £25:00 nicker but I just wanted the car sorted.

I put the sensor in and then cleared the error codes using the CAM OBDII code reader and hey presto it runs like a new car, I'm really pleased. So thanks to you all for the advice you gave me, once again thanks.

Regards

Steve
Funnily enough I was just reading a store where somebody was quoted £2000 on a repair to his Zafera. It had 7 fault codes. The garage said all these sensors need replacing. The site suggested it was just the camshaft sensor as this also causes other error codes. Replaced it and it works.

Glad you solved your problem I reckon VX would have charged around £300 for this job. They wanted over £300 to fix my MAF by which I fixed myself for £86 (same part). They wanted well over £100 labour for which amounted to a ten minute job for somebody who knows nothing about mechanics.

Thankfully my mechanic dosn't charge me to read faults so its not really woth me buying one. I am glad you saved a fortune though and the reader will come in handy for the next time.
01 1.2 Engine cuts out and EML comes on. - joewright

this morning i posted an identical problem and was given much the same answer( i was looking at lambda sensor problems ) with the warning light coming on the dash, having been given what i now think is invaluable advice, i looked on the web and came across ALL CORSA .co.uk all the codes are listed and full instructions how to do it yourself!! this prob is on a 1ltr 3 cyl. CORSA COMFORT 01 plate