Spare Wheel Question - 2520years
We bought a mini a couple of weeks ago, but have only just realised it hasn't got a spare wheel.

We bought it from a trader, so our question is - isn't he obliged to make sure there is a spare wheel in good condition there?
Spare Wheel Question - zookeeper
no he isnt, but any spare must be road worthy as far as i know
Spare Wheel Question - bell boy
have you spoken to the trader?

Spare Wheel Question - ifithelps
''Ring-ring, ring-ring."

Is that your phone bell boy? :)
Spare Wheel Question - bell boy
could be worse
the trader might have fitted you a spare with the good tread showing up,the tyre blacked to make it look brand new and the rim also highly painted and a shiny sticker on it
and just to make it interesting he could have cross threaded it down so its impossible to get out on a nice wet saturday night (--------a common occurence i hear) ;-) --------
did i mention he also put 90psi in it to give you a nice bouncy journey home-----
:-0
Spare Wheel Question - daveyjp
IIRC the new Mini doesn't have a spare wheel. Can of gloop and a pump only.
Spare Wheel Question - Derfel
Yes it looks as if many of these cars have the Pirelli Runflat tyres and hence no spare. Here is some info on retro-fitting a spare which seems to be possible on all models apart from the Cooper S.

tinyurl.com/yjp6xv6
Spare Wheel Question - 2520years
Cheers. I'll have to check the other tyres then so I'm prepared for the worst.
Spare Wheel Question - jacks
Here is some info on retro-fitting a spare which seems to be
possible on all models apart from the Cooper S.

Interesting website = thanks

My wife has a R50 Mini One, bought new and annoyingly I was going to order the car with a space saver spare wheel (£35 back in 2003) but the saleswoman actually talked my wife out of it by telling her " surely you won't be wanting to change a wheel - simply call MINI Assist and we'll come out and do it for you".

When she did get a puncture at 10.30 pm one winters night - and called MINI Assist - they did indeed come out, 2 hours later - they declared the gloop stuff "useless" and winched the car onto a trailer and deposited her and the car 30 miles from home at the dealer at 1.00am
where I was waiting to pick her up.

Of course the next day the dealer rang and said they could fit a new tyre at almost double the market price. I had to phone around and get quotes before they would "match them".

When I asked the dealer about fitting a space saver spare wheel carrier and wheel I was told that it was impossible to retrofit the item - it had to be done at the factory whilst in production and that was that.

Dealers - don't you just love 'em

Jacks
Spare Wheel Question - ifithelps
Jacks,

Now I know what the slogan 'A Mini adventure' meant. :)
Spare Wheel Question - Derfel
When I asked the dealer about fitting a space saver spare wheel carrier and wheel
I was told that it was impossible to retrofit the item - it had to
be done at the factory whilst in production and that was that.

And to add insult to injury it looks like a very straightforward job, especially with full workshop facilities !
02 1.6 Spare Wheel Question - redviper
Being a BMW (Technically) - does it not just come with a can of gunge that you fill into the wheel, or is it on run flat tyres?, both cases IIRC the car need not be supplied with a spare wheel - i might be wrong through, and im sure someone will be along soon too advise otherwise
02 1.6 Spare Wheel Question - elekie&a/c doctor
If the car is on run flat tyres,there is no spare wheel and a re-set button under the handbrake.If on normal tyres,there is a spare under the car ,below boot floor,on a swing out carrier frame.hth
02 1.6 Spare Wheel Question - AF
On the original new MINIs (I have no idea about the more recent models) all of them had no spare wheel, irrespective of whether they had runflat or normal tyres. The only ones with a spare wheel were those that had one added as an optional extra when the car was ordered, and if I recall correctly, that wasn't an option with the Cooper S due to the layout of the exhaust.

The button under the handbrake was also present irrespective of whether they had runflat or normal tyres, and is to reset the system that tells you if you have a slow puncture.
02 1.6 Spare Wheel Question - jacks
On the original new MINIs (I have no idea about the more recent models) all
of them had no spare wheel irrespective of whether they had runflat or normal tyres.
The button under the handbrake was also present irrespective of whether they had runflat or
normal tyres and is to reset the system that tells you if you have a
slow puncture.

>>

As a MINI owner - I confirm you are 100% correct.

J