Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - dieseldogg
ie my dear old Galaxy is due her test on the 3rd Dec
Bought June 1998, 207, 000 miles, should good for another 50,000 or so?
She will possibly/probably need an exhaust, or moderate /extensive welding
brake pipes?
main light switch etc.
But running like a clock, & I love her to bits ( & too mean to splash out on a new motor)
I have booked her in for a "prelim" next Tue to get some idea of likely cost
just with the Vat increase next year
But the 2.5% extra on say £15,000 is only £375.00

Edited by Pugugly on 14/10/2009 at 15:20

Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - Altea Ego
she is worth 2 grand as scrapage

off to the knackers with her I say.
Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - oldtoffee
Crikey she's been the round the block but seeing as she is still the object of your affection, provided the surgery you have planned for her comes in at say under £1k, then you should feel comfortable going out with her for another couple of years. In that time if a younger more sporty number catches your eye, knowing you had her best years, you can dump her and blame it all on a mid life crisis.
Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - J500ANT
Do you plan to get rid of her in a year or two? If yes, i'd say get rid now if you can afford to do so - new cars have never been as cheap and they're not going to get cheaper.
Thanks Guys
Still undecided, but yes I have figgered that with the scrappage on a new un AND the SHOCKING prices of fresh 2nd hand motors.
NEw is the way to go, IF I am for changing
But then the weans are as likely to put a new motor through the hedge as an older one.
sigh
Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - Rattle
If you want to replace it with a new large car then you may get better discounts by forgeting the scrappage scheme. It might not need that much work, if it costs you £250 to get through the MOT and lasts another year its much cheaper than buying a new car now. If however you are looking for a new smaller car then the scrappage becomes very good value.
Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - Waino
I fully sympathise with Dieseldogg's dilemma - I'm similarly suffering with the old '97 Mondeo estate that I've driven since new (drove, then laterly bought off the company). It's on 162k miles and I know that it will need more welding for its MoT next June and, by then all 4 tyres will be due for replacement. Lots of little things have stopped working e.g heated mirror, radio display, remote locking but none of these are safety items and can be worked around. These days, my needs would be for something a little smaller e.g. a Focus or Octavia estate. To scrap, or not to scrap .......... that is the question!
well firstst i we luked at a i10, for the weans primarily
then i realized that we would miss the room & towing ability not to mention space for a wheel chair in the galaxy
so all change.
and hey yes,

the octavia dsg is /was in the running
ditto the yeti
ditto a
ditto b
ditto c
et al
not quite reached option/choice z yet
sigh
it ud jist be simpler to keep driving the old girl
see if i can get to 250,000 on the origional clutch & head gasket
cheers again
m

Edited by dieseldogg on 14/10/2009 at 19:33

Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - barney100
Same old calculation, is the repair more expensive that the cars value, thats the time to change but on the other hand there are lots of much older and higher mileage cars on the road giving good service. Cars will last a long time with tlc, perhaps we are too quick to change.
We have a similar dilema with my car. Its been in the garage so much this year but it passed the MOT without any work needed (its a 12 year old Fiesta MK4 that does 12k a year) and as its a Ghia model its still high spec (has electric drivers seat, remote locking, electric mirrors, windows etc). I checked the chasis and its still solid but there is a lot of internal rusting on one of the rear quarter panels. We thought about buying a scrappage car but the loans would just cost too much. We also thought about buying a newer second hand car but when my dads car works its a lovely car to drive. The gearbox, brakes and clutch all feel as tight as new despite its 83k.

I know the faults with my dads car which is more than that can said for that £5k 3 year old car.

It is always a gamble. I reckon you need to have a long thing about if the scrappage scheme would actually save you any money on the car you want, if not then get your Galaxy through another MOT and then just hope it lasts for one more year.
Same old calculation ...... >>

It's not quite the same calculation because we now have the scrappage nonsense to throw into the decision pot as well.
Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - boxsterboy
Motoring costs money:

Buy new and the cost is depreciation.
Buy older and the cost is ongoing repairs.

Take yer choice and pay yer money.
Should I scrap her, my good & faithful servant - DP
Same old calculation is the repair more expensive that the cars value thats the time
to change

I would argue the time to change is not so much when the cost of repair is more than the value of the car (within reason), but when its more than the cost of buying a replacement car which stands half a chance of being as good.

My wife's uncle was driving a J registration Sierra (2.0i DOHC petrol) until 2 years ago on these principles. He'd owned it from 6 months old, and maintained it religiously. It was worth peanuts, literally beer money, but he was still happy to pay out £200-£300 for the odd thing to be done, because as he said, what are the chances of finding even a half reliable motor for anything like that kind of money? In essence, the car was worth far more to him than it was worth to the market.

The decision was forced when the timing chain started rattling and the efi system started to act up (225k on the clock - it could be forgiven) , plus the usual bi-annual Sierra front suspension rebuild was coming around again, so he took the decision to replace it with a nearly new Focus, which I don't doubt will also be kept until it becomes uneconomic. As for the Sierra, he put what would probably be its last MOT on it, and advertised it for £250 in the local rag. It sold in 27 minutes!

So my mechanic had her up on the lift yesterday
and i had a look below
blimming heck!
cars dont rust anymore
Not even the brake pipes
and thats WITHOUT any "burned" oil applied.
and the exhaust wot i tot was blowing out ... isnt.... 12 years & sound as a pound(an unforged one)
So for 2 new tyres and a couple of ball joints its worth a try
Say not exceeding pounds 300, per the mechanic
I may need to change the wife instead however
cheers
M
So 200k in 11.5 years, from 1998
Should be good to 2025 before I make 500k

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/10/2009 at 13:51

My brake pipes are original and there is not a spec of rust any where to be seen on them. Some cars seem to be made with very good brake pipes others not so. Sounds like you have a very good car there just keep it.

I realising how frustrating it must be to own a car which dosn't go wrong and thus you're stuck with it but think of all the $$$ you're saving :).
cars dont rust anymore>>

Tell that to my Mondeo wheel-arches ;-)