Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - Rattle
They found a lot wrong with it but its all silly things and stuff I have suspected anyway here is the jist of it

1) Brake noise caused by new pads being too big for the old discs which is rusted on the outside, they said no need to change yet as they are working fine but they should really be fixed but brakes are working fine so this can be left as the original discsare still within the correct thickness and the new pads have plenty of friction on the.

2) They found one of the rear shocks to be leaking. This dosn't surprised me as the ride can be very bouncy made a thread on this before.

3) Four x main seals leaking (what are these?) and sump seal. As the oil leak is very very slight (about 50ml a year) I don't know if this is anything to worry about or even an MOT failure?

4) Antifreeze too weak even though I had this changed just two months ago

5) Recomend rear Sca? what the hell is this? Was in brakes section

6) Cable ties holding air meter on - hahaha its my wonderful handy work but does the job perfectly. Should change them though really

7) Rear washers not working - pipe split in tailgate - not an MOT issue so will leave it for now.

8) One tyre down to 3.3mm (advisory) and spare flat. I had always intended replacing this tyre soon as its a cheap make anyway.

9) On the way to dealer I noticed a slight clonk in the steering. I didn't mention this but they have listed a CV boot which is perished and split so I am assuming its just that.

The only part of my car which they gave a green light to is the gearbox engine and clutch which they said all sounded healthy and worked perfectly.

It is a big list but I don't think it will cost that much. My plan is to use the bus for the rest of the day and then tomorrow get a quote for two new rear shocks and CV boot. Then I will get the oil leak looked at followed by a new tyre so the 3.33mm one can replace my spare.

I will then go to the exhaust place and insert a large garden gnome in them, I am still fuming about this.

I reckon it should all cost well under £200 and it should mean my car will fly through the MOT in Feb .

I was impressed for two reasons 1) it was free 2) they just gave me a price list for the parts needed and said give us a ring if you wanted to do any work. They were not in the slightest bit pushy. Also the things they found wrong were all the stuff I suspected the only new bit being the CV boot.

Edited by rtj70 on 12/10/2009 at 15:01

The bit which was edited out due to swearing was a I had a complete exhaust fitted at a big chain two months ago. I was told today that the back box is hanging off and is ready to fall off. In fact worrying a lot above is stuff I had already had done.
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - moonshine
2) They found one of the rear shocks to be leaking. This dosn't surprised me
as the ride can be very bouncy made a thread on this before.

MOT fail get it fixed.

3) Four x main seals leaking (what are these?) and sump seal. As the oil
leak is very very slight (about 50ml a year) I don't know if this is
anything to worry about or even an MOT failure?

Not a problem for MOT. If you are not bothered about oil stains on the driveway/road then leave it be.
4) Antifreeze too weak even though I had this changed just two months ago

This isnt right - either they didn't check it properly or whoever did you antifreeze change did it wrong. Easy enough to put right though.

9) On the way to dealer I noticed a slight clonk in the steering. I
didn't mention this but they have listed a CV boot which is perished and split
so I am assuming its just that.

Definite fail and something to get fixed sooner rather than later.

I was impressed for two reasons 1) it was free 2) they just gave me
a price list for the parts needed and said give us a ring if you
wanted to do any work. They were not in the slightest bit pushy. Also the
things they found wrong were all the stuff I suspected the only new bit being
the CV boot.

Nice to hear you had a good service that you were pleased with, makes a change to see someone happy on this forum :)
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - redviper
glad you where impressed. - my experience is that they dont "sell" you anything or push it to be done infact when my astra went for its service (and a health check) they told me that one of my tyres where just below legal limt - and would i like a new tyre

if not thats fine but i had to sign to the fact that they had told me about it. (I did get the tyre replaced infact i got both front ones done as the other one was approaching the same good value too, my only gripe was that a month later i decided to sell the Astra and get the Vectra instead.

Edited by redviper on 12/10/2009 at 15:38

Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - DP
The CV boot needs doing straight away, as it will allow the grease to be flung out of the CV joint, and allow dirt and crud in. This will destroy the joint very quickly.
I wouldn't expend any time, effort or money fixing a 50ml a year oil leak on a car of this age, but that's just me.
Antifreeze is important, particularly coming up to Winter, but what did they mean by too weak? When I've had checks and services done, they've always given me a temperature that the engine is protected down to based on the strength of the mixture. If it's below -15°C, don't worry about it. I know global cooling is now happening, but there are limits. ;-)
A weeping shock is not the same as a seriously leaking one. What is the damping like? If the shock is performing OK, there is no rush. Just keep an eye on it.
The cable ties, if they work, are fine, unless it's an easy fix to secure properly. It's one of those jobs that is nice to sort, but if it works, why disturb it?
Rear washer should be an easy fix. You can get the tubing in Halfords for a couple of quid. Pop the tailgate trim off and replace as appropriate. Washers are important in Winter, particularly on a car with a near vertical tailgate glass like the Corsa.
Spare tyres are unimportant til you get a puncture ;-)

The only thing in that whole list I'd say get done now is the CV boot. Oh and the tyres of course.

I have noticed for a few weeks the ride is quite bouncy if the leak is noticable then I could probably get a fine for it so its not worth the risk. I know the CV boot is urgent but I suspect it is a fairly recent problem as somebody else would have noticed it.

The problem on my engine bay its so crowded you cannot see the CV boots so the only way to inspect is to jack it up and remove the front wheels which is why I have missed it. I check them on my dads Fiesta a lot, his boot failed and since has needed two new CV joints. His car is off the road currently waiting for a new CV joint.

The washer I will fix myself can't be too hard as its in the tailgate itself the rear panal just removes.

The oil leak I think I will leave, the dip is still on max and it has been since I had the oil change done 7 months ago. There was a leak when I had bought it and my mechanic tighted up the sump so it may be just traces of on leak?

Things to do this week then are the tyre (its a cheap make crappy with no wet grip so needs replacing regardless of tread) the CV boot and the shock. The rest of the stuff I can do myself at my leasure.
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - FotheringtonThomas
2) They found one of the rear shocks to be leaking. This dosn't surprised me
as the ride can be very bouncy made a thread on this before.

MOT fail if they notice t6he "bounce".

9) On the way to dealer I noticed a slight clonk in the steering. I
didn't mention this but they have listed a CV boot which is perished and split
so I am assuming its just that.

MOT fail. Get a complete new CV/driveshaft from an on-line used spares supplier such as 1stchoice, or dismantle the one you've got, wash it out, re-fill with proper moly. grease and put a new boot on it. Should be a POP.
I know its an MOT fail :) Just about to buy a bus pass and get the shocks and CV booked in :).

Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - FotheringtonThomas
You can DIY both quite easily, and save £££.
Just bought my new ride. It has a 12,000cc engine and a Voith automatic gearbox. Also comes coplete with smelly tramps.

Going to get quotes tomorrow for the work, I might have a go at the shocks myself if the new CV joint and boot ends up costing too much.

The shocks and CV are by far my biggest concern :) At least when I get all this done I won't need to worry about the MOT in Feb.
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - martint123
At least when I get all this done I won't need to worry about the MOT in Feb.

I always get the eebie jeebies when MOT time comes round even though I've been over and under it for teh previous 6 months!
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - Stuartli
Windscreen washers are part of the MOT.

Which, by the way, is still at least at least three months away. A lot can go wrong in that time...:-(
Its the rear washer not the front one :). The windscreen washer works perfectly :).
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - Stuartli
Yes, I realised that. I was merely pointing out the MOT requirement as it seemed to be assumed that they are not covered.
Yep but I always thought its only the front washer which is tested in the MOT?
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - pmh3
Windscreen washers are part of the MOT

But not required if the windscreen folds down! eg Mini Scamp and some? Landrovers.

Either way I will get the rear washer fixed, will hopefully do this myself. Its handy more than anything else!

The two things I really need to get done are the shocks (may as well do it in pairs) and the CV boot and possible joint. I have a feeling the boot only failed this morning when my dad used my car to take my sister to the airport while I was still asleep.
Free vauxhall health check - Impressed - L'escargot
Just bought my new ride. It has a 12 000cc engine ...........

Wow, I'm impressed. What make/model is it?

Edited by L'escargot on 13/10/2009 at 08:21

Ita a Dennis Alaxandra Enviro 400 :).

0-60 in about two years and around 6mph :).

So far my bus journeys have been quite easy but now got to get to two places with no direct connection so I guess its a lot of walking tonight :(. Furthest walk will be four miles :(.

Got a quote for two new shock absorbers, a new CV kit which includes the joint and boot for £200. I have decided even though I might not need a new CV joint I may as well just get it done as it will be cheaper than having it fail on me in two months time like my dads has done.

We have two cars out there, both off the road due to CV joint problems :(.

I am not sure I will get the £200 much cheaper so I will probably just go with it and swollow the £120+ labour bill. Checked at my local colleges for maintance courses but they only do proper full time courses :(.

After I get shocks and CV done I need to sort out my tyres :(. I may flip and announce I have just bought a 1978 Rover SD1 one tomorrow :p: