Missed service and broken gearbox - Gazmog
Hi

I just want to get your views

I have a Seat Toledo, 55 plate, out of warrantee, with the DSG automatic box. I have just been told I need a new box, or at least it will need to be reconditioned, with a price of anything up to £3.5k.

In doing some research I found out the Gearbox should have been services at 40000 miles. I check my service history and I found I jumped a service, I went from 35k to 53k, (car is now on 82k). The servicing was all done at the same Seat franchised dealership. Should they have told me the gearbox needs servicing? Have I got any come back? As you can imagine finding £3500 is quote a lot.

Thanks
Missed service and broken gearbox - cheddar
What is the service interval, if 18k + you may not have missed a service and the dealer may have done what ever was required to the gearbox at the 35k service if it was due at 40k?
Missed service and broken gearbox - TheOilBurner
So, to be clear: you had it serviced at 35k (which service was this, 2nd, 3rd, 4th?), and then it didn't see a change of oil again until 53k? Isn't that bit late?

I suppose they should have advised at 53k that the DSG should have had an oil change, but then what service did you ask for at that point? It can be difficult for dealerships to keep track of what has and hasn't been done at previous services...

From the sounds of it, at this age and mileage, with a patchy service history your chances of comeback are nil.

Does the manual/service book indicate when the DSG should have an oil change?
Missed service and broken gearbox - Bill Payer
It can be difficult for dealerships to keep track of what has and hasn't been done at
previous services...

Yet the SEAT dealer I use has no difficulty in remembering that the car is "overdue" for the ficticious "air conditioning service".

When I had issues with SEAT I found SEAT UK completely dis-interested and from comments I've read on SEAT forums, this is their standard practice once the car is out of warranty.

Anyway, the car in question has done 82K, so even if the car had full and complete dealer service history, SEAT would still likely say "hard luck". The OP's time would be better spent investigating a cheaper route to getting the car fixed.

Edited by Bill Payer on 12/10/2009 at 15:00

Hi Bill

The point I'm getting out is the Seat did not do a gearbox service and now (outside warrentee) the gearbox has gone, is there any comeback.

My initial chat with the dealership, they told me they tell people if they miss any services, as it in there interest as they make more money (at least they are being honest).

I've yet to speak to the service manager.

I think you are right about investigating a cheaper route for the fix. The problem I have is when the AA came, they locked wheels and the gearbox, so the car won't roll.

The car is currently at a spealist, Midland Automatics, who appear to know what they are doing, but are not the cheapest. They are holding off doing work untill Service history is sorted. But it leaves me with no car.

Thanks for the input
Missed service and broken gearbox - daveyjp
This is a major problem with having variable servicing and items of a fixed nature, you need to know when everything is due.

The services are probably right - they are generally due about 17- 18000 miles apart. So 17,34,51k would be an expected sequence.

The fluid in the wet clutch DSG is due a change every 40,000 miles.

Some dealers will chase work such as this and cambelt changes etc, most don't, but the servicing handbook does contain all this information.

I would also get a full diagnosis of what has failed on the gearbox as parts can be changed.

Edited by daveyjp on 12/10/2009 at 15:05

Hi

I brought the car with 14k on the clock (from Motorpoint) I had it service then followed that at 25 and 35, so the 35 woul have been its 3rd. The car should be serviced every 10k miles, but I do a lot of mileage 25k a year an often when you go to arrange a date for a service, by the time you get it in another 1 to 2k has been added.

As I said all servicing was done by the Seat garage, who had the full details. I'm just a punter who asks for a car to be serviced. Prehaps I should have checked manual/service book to check what that says compare to what the garage is done. But if I take to a main dealer I would expect they would know what needs be done. I wouldn't call the service history patchy, it missed one.

thanks for the input.

Missed service and broken gearbox - TheOilBurner
by the time you get it in another 1 to 2k has been added.

In this case, more like 8k?
. But if I take to a main dealer I would expect they would
know what needs be done.

Two ways of looking at it I think. They don't have to call you in for the engine oil change right? But, you're saying it's their responsibility to tell you when to change the gearbox oil? Sure, it would have been helpful if they'd advised it at 53k, but given it was late for it's previous service, I can imagine there being uncertainty at that point on what had and hadn't been done.

I know we can't all be experts on our own cars (other things need our attention, I appreciate that), but sadly with main dealers the way they are, that's what you need to be if you want your car looked after properly.

>>I wouldn't call the service history patchy it missed one.

Ok, not patchy then. I wouldn't call it FSH, so what would you call it? Maybe if it was FSH, you may have been able to seek goodwill from SEAT...

Sorry to say it, but you're stuck with a large bill here. Best bet is try to source a second hand re-conditioned DSG unit from outside of the VAG dealer network.
Cheers OilBurner

As you can imagine I'm kicking myself at the moment. My dad looked at me gone out last night when I said I didn't the gearbox needed a sepeate service.

The car is at Midland Automatics they are a spealist in auto boxes and do reconditioned boxes. They seem to know there stuff but may be a little pricey. But as the wheels are currently looked it very hard to move it.

Again, thanks for your comments

Missed service and broken gearbox - henry k
There has been quite a lot of comments about DSG gearbox life and repairs.

Please let us know the outcome and cost of the repair.
Missed service and broken gearbox - Bill Payer
>> by the time you get it in another 1 to 2k has been added.

To preserve the warranty most manufacturers insist on the service being done within 1000 miles and it's 500 for some.

SEAT cars come with fixed 10K intervals as standard but you can (as on all VAG cars) get it changed to variable service intervals, but they use much more expensive oil so the services are dearer.

The correct drill with additional work such as brake fluid or gearbox oil changes is to get them done a little early, otherwise they would be far too late.

Edited by Bill Payer on 12/10/2009 at 16:00

Hi Bill

To get a service done with 500 - 1000 miles can be very hard when you out visiting customers and trying to fit it in with garage.

It would have been nice at 35k miles for them to say you need the gearbox doing etc.

Anyway, I'm going to have chat with the service manager tomorrow and see what he says, i'm not expecting much.
Missed service and broken gearbox - Andrew-T
To get a service done within 500 - 1000 miles can be very hard when you are out visiting customers ...

Probably. But when all is said and done, you are the only person who knows (a) when services are due (b) the miles on your car (c) when you will be visiting customers. I don't see how your garage can be expected to work all that out. The gearbox is due for its second service, never mind the first.
Missed service and broken gearbox - Downesi1
I had a 56 plate Toledo 2.0tdi dsg and it had two services in the first 22k. This was over the two year lease.