02 TDCi Code reader, which one should i buy? - carnut1980
which code reader should i buy for this car?? the glow plug light flashes on and the car lacks power, idles a bit lumpy too. Might have an injector out, but as i like tinkering with cars and buy and sell a few i need a code reader anyway, just one that will also read the ecu on my 02 tdci 130 mondeo. Dont really want to spend any more than £100 and im not familiar with the OBD, OBDII stuff. What does that mean?
Any advice?
cheers

{moves from classifieds to Technical Matters}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/10/2009 at 01:25

02 TDCi Code reader, which one should i buy? - kithmo
I don't think there is a code reader for less than £100 that will read the fault codes on pre-2004 Diesels and in my experience, the ones that read 2004-on vehicles won't help with the Fuel related codes on the Mondeo as they tend to be not supported by the readers.
02 TDCi Code reader, which one should i buy? - harry hotfoot
I want one as well.

And I've been looking into it... I have a laptop, and have been thinking about something like:

tinyurl.com/yg5qted

With a laptop and software, the only thing needed is a cable - the above has the lot. Why wouldn't it work? most cars have this interface now. Some of them are less than £25. I don't currently need one, but I'd give it a go if I did. A laptop is far more sophisticated than any code reader type thing.

Harry
02 TDCi Code reader, which one should i buy? - sandy56
IF you have to ask maybe you shouldnt bother.
You can completely screw up your car if you dont know what you are doing.
The code reader is one thing then you need the code interpretation so that you know what the problem is, then you need to understand the problem.
Technicians ( good ones) have to do a lot of training before they are recognised as competent.