Worn pads highlights new problem? - Matblack
Hi Guys

I think I have a sticking caliper on my '93 Honda CRX and I wanted a second opinion.

I have noticed a slight judder under heavy braking for sometime and after heavy braking the brakes would be less responsive.

Over the last couple of days the pad on the right front side has given up and started to make a really nasty grinding noise.

Here is what makes me think the pad is sticking the grinding will continue for a few seconds even after I lift off the brakes. Now my though would be that after I lift off the caliper would take the pads away from the disks immediately and I wouldn't hear any further noise, what do you guys think. A new caliper (or matched pair on the front) to go with my new pads and disks (needed replacing anyway)?

The guy at Kwick Fit said he though the caliper was OK but I'm just not convinced, I've had a similar issue before on an older CRX, it seems a common fault. Anyone know a surefire way of diagnosing a sticky caliper?

Cheers
Matblack

Any input would be great
Worn pads highlights new problem? - BrianW
If your discs are worn they will form a lip, the backing plate on the pads will rub on this and produce the grinding noise, even if there is a certain amount of material left on the pads.

Basically, you've let the pads get way too low, any gringing noise is a certain indication that the pads are shot and braking performance is reduced.

If the discs are not too badly worn you may get away with just pads, otherwise its a disc + pads job.

You'll soon see if the caliper is sticking when the pads are changed.

The reduced performance after heavy braking is because there is not enough friction material left to act as a heat insulator between the disc, pad backing and the caliper.
Worn pads highlights new problem? - Dorian
I had the same problem on my Rover 416.

After heavy braking they made a scraping noise that would last for a couple of miles.

After a few months the scraping sound appeared as soon as I touched the brake pedal.

Rover had a look at it and said they'd freed up the calipers but the problem was still there.

An independant garage had it a few months later - they fitted new pads and stripped down both calipers. The problem is now fixed!

I wouldn't trust the aforementioned tyre fitter to know much about brakes on a car - I'd take it to a good garage and let an experienced mechanic have a look.

Worn pads highlights new problem? - Matblack
Hmmm

I thought that the caliper probably was sticking, I'll mention it to the guy when he fits my new parts on Saturday. As a side line I managed to save a small fortune on the disks and pads and also got a quote for a new caliper whilst I was there. The company are called Brakes International. Kwik Fit quoted me £200 of disks and pads & fitting and I got the parts for £80 including delivery and Best Brake will fit them for £40! saving me £80. Honda wanted £450 for a new caliper & fitting. Brakes International price £70 odd Best Brake will fit that part for £40 too I could replace all 4 calipers for the price of one Honda one and still have enough change to get drunk, how about that!

I 'll have a chat will the guy who fits the bits and if the caliper needs doing I'll get it done before it starts to ruin the new parts!

Cheers

Matblack
Worn pads highlights new problem? - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
NEVER go to a dealer for brake parts, ultimate rip-off.

You mentioned a judder under hard braking. Could be warped disc(s). My son had a new pair of discs after a check had found one warped. Four weeks later, the judder was back. The new ones had warped!

They were replaced foc and, no, he hadn't abused them.