What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - smokyjoe
firstly i would like to say hello to all in cyberspace.

I have hit a large car shaped iceberg and come to a complete stop, i have owned 134 cars upto now but my present car has totally bamboosled me and ruined my faith in vw, it is my 6th passat and it will be my last it has been in the garage for 8 days out off 6 weeks ownership so much for the buitifully crafted passat.
Anyway i have totally lost my car buying mojo and dont know what to go for next,
here is the cars i am considering,
skoda octavia,
seat ibiza, ( probably to small though)
Kia ceed,
mitsubishi lancer,
audi A4,
is there anything else i should be thinking about.

Edited by Pugugly on 02/10/2009 at 22:48

What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - Lygonos
Mk2 Subaru Forester 2.5XT.

All the car you'll ever need.
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - bell boy
with a list like that i would look for an arriva timetable
as we live in the sticks then an arriva timetable would be worth less.

I have had vag group cars for a good few years now but this passat has put me off a little i should have just kept my last passat that i traded in.
i should have also said that diesel is a must for the milage we rack up and i like the relaxed driveing style the extra torque offers.
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - Pugugly
What's your budget ?
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - gordonbennet
At your high mileage would it be worth trying a Hyundai Diesel of some sort, obviously you'll have to calculate the rather expensive main dealer servicing to check overall costings, but you really can't go wrong with that unlimited mileage warranty.

You'd definately be a good test bed for the rest of us..;)

I did look at the hyundai but the new ceed looks a bit nicer (in my eyes) and are the same running gear anyway.

as for budget i dont really have one the cars listed are new apart from the audi which was just aproaching 2 years old, i dare say if i looked at more expensive cars i would talk myself out off them as i would loose to much money,
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - Pugugly
Skoda would take my money - well made, good dealers.
i have to admit the skoda is a good driver and at £15000 does seem a good buy but in the back off my mind i have a niggley thought off trouble ahead, just because it has the same 2 littre engine that my sat has which i might add has pish poor fuel economy
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - LikedDrivingOnce
Well, if you have reservations about the Skoda, because it has the same underlying mechanicals as the Passat, then you should also have the same reservations about the Audi A4. It's just a Passat with more expensive clothing and better coffee at the dealers. (But I love the A4 nonetheless!)

If you want reliability in a Passat sized car, get a Honda Accord.
If you want the best drive, try a 3 series diesel. Great engines, and you won't be disappointed with the fuel economy as a high mileage user.
For a great all-rounder, the Mondeo is difficult to beat.
For "boring, efficient, but easy to live with" consider the Toyota Avensis.
For a sharp-suited alternative that is slightly different to the rest of the pack, and very reliable, try a Mazda 6. (Very good value used).
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - Avant
I don't know which engine you have in your Passat - what's the problem with it?

Skoda Octavias can be had with a wide range of petrol and diesel engines. My vRS has the new common-rail 2.0 TDI but others still have the PD engine. Mine has been no trouble so far (5 months, 7500 miles) but nor was the Golf estate that preceded it, which had the PD.
It is the 2 littre 140 SE and has just turned 3 years old and appart from haveing dire fuel economy the engine isnt the problem its the rest off the car, all i can say is thank got for warrentys,
first time in the garage was fuel pump then handrake failed twice engine fault then emisions fault then back to handbrake, two new tyres on the back to get rid off a horrible wirring noise, then four wheel alighnment due to wanderring at speed, suspension crashes and bangs comeing up our drive,
it might look nice but its just a horrible car compared to our old passat,
best mpg we have managed driveing like miss daisy is 42 which compared to the last one at 53mpg is not good.
the salesman said this is the best engine but in all honesty the old 1.9 felt faster smoother and just as quiet.
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - scott1s
I wouldn't look past a Honda then for engineering integrity, or perhaps a Toyota. The Accord is a superb car - ignore the badge snobs IMHO easily the best engineered car out there at the moment.

My money (as I am not a logical best) would probably go on a deal on the run-out Alfa 159 1.9JTDm which is about to be superseded with the 2.0 unit. reliability and build seems to be pretty good on hte 159 to date.
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - Avant
"....handrake failed twice...."

One big advantage an Octavia (and a Golf) has over a Passat is that it has a proper handbrake, which is unlikely to fail.
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - idle_chatterer
I found the 170PD in an A4 B7 Avant to be unrefined, very thirsty for both diesel and oil and very 'peaky'. A colleague has the same Passat as you describe with the 140PD and complains of much the same things.

I've driven the 170CR engine in the B8 and it is vastly better in terms of fuel economy, power delivery and refinement, I can't comment on its oil consumption. My current 330d is in a different league but this is hardly a fair comparison, colleagues with 320d and 520d seem to be very content.

My in-laws are on their third Skoda (a 1.9 130PD Superb) and they've always been very pleased with them -maybe corroborating your view of the 1.9PD being a superior engine ?

If it's an A4 B7 at 2 years old I'd avoid it, it will be PD and tight on interior space compared with your Passat. I've driven the 115PS 1.9PD 5 Speed version (loan while mine had clutch and steering rack replaced to cure groaning noises and juddering) and it was OK but still way behind a Honda or BMW on refinement.

The Honda CDTi is a great engine imho, SWMBO has it in a Civic and it's economical, refined and very fast so the Accord would be a good option.

Finally, why not a Mondeo, I had a 2.0L petrol Mk3 Estate for 3 years and it was a really competent and reliable car requiring nothing but standard service items, however you can't fail to notice the many posts regarding the TDCi engined versions.
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - L'escargot
i have owned 134 cars upto now .........

That must be some sort of record. How many years did it take?
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - stunorthants26
Subaru Legacy surely?
That must be some sort of record. How many years did it take?

bought my first car a viva at 15 and drove it on the farm (and the back road sometimes) and by the time i was 17 the count was upto 8 since passing my test in 1990 the other 126 have come thick and fast and i have never had less than 4 cars at a time, oh and that number doesnt count the 47 vans and 68 motorbikes, crickey i think ive got a problem.

thanks for the help i think i may dissmiss the A4 now and have a look at the honda instead.
the mondeo has never floated my boat realy as the last ford i owned was a seirra.
What car to replace an ailing Passat ? - barney100
How old is the Passat? If you have lost faith in VW then their group cars like Seat and Skoda would surely come under the same umbrella. I would look at Volvo's which take high mileage in their stride.
How old is the Passat? If you have lost faith in VW then their group
cars like Seat and Skoda would surely come under the same umbrella.

it has just turned 3 year old and as i have had vag group cars for a good few years now this is the only one that has given any trouble, i have mainly lost faith in the suposedly beautifully built passat.
the build quality just isnt as good as the b5.5 passat.
this new car creeks and groans inside the cabin with a funny rattleing noise from someware behind the dash like loose wires shoogling about, and as for the flimsy plastic lower dash well it speeks for itself or should i say creeks for its self.
but the most annoying thing is the stoopid keyfob ignition and the electric handbrake which fails to release 3 out off five times oh and has decided to release itself dureing the night, well i supose thats progress isnt it,