considering a new car - Mick Snutz
Been seriously considering a Hyundai i30 estate to replace my 8 yr old Pug 406 diesel estate.
The long warranty sounds enticing and the brand gets good press.
What concerns me is that to keep the warranty valid would I have to have it serviced by Hyundai everytime or could I get an indi garage to service it providing they used Hyundai approved parts, oil etc?
The thought of spending out for 5 years worth of main dealer servicing sounds expensive.
A friend has an i10 and says she's paying £18 per month for the next 2 years servicing but after that she's going to use a local grease monkey.
considering a new car - dieseldogg
Hmmmm
So are we and the new 2010 diesel automatic kia Ceed Sw would seem to be a strong contender.
HJ has quoted servicing prices for the ceed in his road test of this car
20k = £121.24
40k = £220.13
60k = £121.24
tot to 60k = £462.61
seems not unreasonable
since my good local mechanic is now £30.00 per hr prob not much in it

Edited by dieseldogg on 01/10/2009 at 16:03

considering a new car - J500ANT
We have an i30 - and a flick through the book doesnt specifically say "5yr warranty only if we service it"
considering a new car - TJ63
I bought an i10 last year, and the documentation with that states that in order to maintain the warranty, genuine Hyundai parts must be used for servicing, and that it must be done by a VAT registered garage.

Any invoices must state the parts used and the VAT number.

So it doesn't absolutely have to be a Hyundai dealer.

TJ
considering a new car - bintang
I don't know about other Hyundai dealers but my own, Sewards of Christchurch, are excellent.

One thing that might swing it is the length of breakdown cover, 3 years' full RAC with my i30 1600.
considering a new car - ForumNeedsModerating
What concerns me is that to keep the warranty valid would I have to have it serviced by Hyundai everytime or could I get an indi garage to service it providing they used Hyundai approved parts, oil etc?

As others have said - it's not statutory. But why would you want to buy a car because of its
long warranty, then try to save a few bob (..as the quoted service charges don't appear extortortionate..) by getting a local indie to do it? If you take your car to main dealers you're far more likely to get any software updates made, warranty items fixed immediately (the indie might not even forewarn you of any developing probelms) etc.

Should a warranty isuue arise, not having the pukka Hyundai service record means you'll have to produce the (probably less than perfect or complete) documentation/service record your indie gave you & there may be questions problems at that stage. Do you want the hassle?

Edited by woodbines on 01/10/2009 at 18:27

considering a new car - Mick Snutz
All good points raised. I guess if the servicing is pretty inexpensive as main dealer prices go then I suppose I would bite the bullet and stick with a main dealer. The only downside is the nearest one to me is 9 miles away. Do Hyundai provide courtesy cars?
considering a new car - stunorthants26
Hyundai dont, but their dealers do. Both the dealers local to me provide a loan car without cost or quibble.
Re. Service Costs - ring around if you have a few local dealers, I saved 20% by doing that on my Suzuki.
considering a new car - Harleyman
When we bought our i10, we asked the dealer if we could get it serviced at the local Suzuki outlet which is fifteen miles closer but owned by the same company.

Dealer said that was fine, no problem, but if any warranty work needed doing it had to come to the Hyundai dealership.

Seems fine to me and and improvement on how things used to be.