Where have all the flies gone? - ifithelps
I'm sure my windscreen no longer gets caked in flies after a fast run like it used to.

This begs a few questions:

Are there fewer flies around, and if so, why is this?

Or are there the same number of flies, but fewer hitting my car?

Cars are more aerodynamic and wipers are more efficient than ever, so you might not notice flies so much.

But then cars are also much faster than they used to be, which suggests you might hit more, not fewer.

Or am I just plain wrong (perish the thought) and I am hitting as many flies as I used to?

Where have all the flies gone? - maz64
With all those past generations you've killed on the roads, you've played your part in ensuring that evolution has taken its course and explained why there's loads more in our house. Thanks :-)
Where have all the flies gone? - cheddar
More spiders this year:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8273960.stm
...More spiders this year...

Agreed.

The deck of my caravan in leafy North Yorkshire is caked in webs.

Makes it looks as if I never go near the place.

Edited by ifithelps on 29/09/2009 at 18:26

Where have all the flies gone? - perro
>>>The deck of my caravan in leafy North Yorkshire is caked in webs<<<

Ere!!! your names not Dick is it ~ www.dirtydicks.co.uk/
Where have all the flies gone? - idle_chatterer
Well I still get plenty of the blighters on my windscreen - how do you manage to avoid them ?
Where have all the flies gone? - bathtub tom
Long, hot, dry Summer?

I can dream can't I?
Where have all the flies gone? - jbif
Are there fewer flies around, and if so, why is this? >>

They have found a safe place to hide and breed in the new fad for refuse recycling "slop" buckets to be increasingly found outside many homes,

Where have all the flies gone? - Fullchat
Most of them are stuck to my helmet visor, windshield and jacket!
Where have all the flies gone? - Nsar
Better aerodynamics - the flies get swept over/around your car.
Where have all the flies gone? - oilrag
It`s to be expected - taking into account Formative Causation - morphic resonance.

Ruperts Gadfly sang a sonnet
cos his grandad met a bonnet
his learnin`s come through time and space
giving him more time and grace

here he comes a buzzin fly
on the cars he will not die
cos he`s ceased to fly low formation
thanks to causative formation.
Where have all the flies gone? - Andrew-T
It's quite true that there are fewer flies around. Oldies will remember those deflector gadgets one could buy for the front apex of the bonnet, with the idea that the flies would go on past? These days the bird people tell us that is one reason for falling numbers of many insect-eating species. I am certain that my front numberplate doesn't collect anything like the concentration it once did. At least that is a plus ...

Due I suppose, to more widespread insecticide, and probably fewer hedgerows for the flies to live in.

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/09/2009 at 19:59

Where have all the flies gone? - Alby Back
Possibly in the camera infested 21st century we are all driving slower. Not that any of us used to speed a lot / constantly or anything......

Lower speeds ergo fewer fly splats.
Where have all the flies gone? - madux
Surely there are just as many flies per mile no matter how fast you are going? Assuming you are not travelling at walking pace, of course.
Where have all the flies gone? - henry k
I see no flies on my car.
In the old days you could easily see who had been travelling at speed by the vast numbers of all sorts of insects splatted on the front.

My front number plate is as aerodynamic as a brick built dunny. It still is fly free.
I binned my bottle of "Fly Squash Remover" a few years ago.

In the old days I used to poke the many bodies out of my radiatorand straighten up the fins but no need to now.
Where have all the flies gone? - Stuartli
This question has often been asked:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42847

In this thread, three yeas ago, I mentioned that there seemd to be few, if any, flies around.
Where have all the flies gone? - Cliff Pope
Surely there are just as many flies per mile no matter how fast you are
going? Assuming you are not travelling at walking pace of course.

True, but they have less time to get out of the way. If you drove at the speed of an aeroplane you'd get birds choked in the radiator.
Where have all the flies gone? - FotheringtonThomas
There's a plague of spiders, didn't you know? Due to the favourable conditions this year.
Where have all the flies gone? - daveyjp
Take a trip to Leeds. No bin collections for five weeks means plenty of flies about.
Where have all the flies gone? - malteser
More zips?
Where have all the flies gone? - Altea Ego
And boy are they tough spiders this year. I have one thats survived 100mph swinging in its web round the wing mirror. Some in the garden tried to drag the dog into the undergrowth. I have one the size of a persian carpet thats taken over the utility room, we are hoping it dies soon as the laundry basket is in there and I am running out of underpants.

Edited by Altea Ego on 30/09/2009 at 11:15

Where have all the flies gone? - Big Bad Dave
There was a spider in my garden a couple of weeks ago that was so massive her web was sagging under her weight. We've had a few actually, this year, that have been monstrous. One made a glorious web between the house and shed but instead of sitting in it, she hid under the edge of the roof with one long leg sticking out resting on it. Fabulous.

I don't get flies on the car anymore either despite crossing Europe at high speeds a couple of times a year. Then last week a neighbour had my car for three days to take it to his garage 80 km away and he brought it back absolutely caked in the things. And the wipers just smeer the remains all over the glass making it difficult to see anything.

Edited by Big Bad Dave on 30/09/2009 at 11:44

Where have all the flies gone? - FotheringtonThomas
There was a spider in my garden a couple of weeks ago that was so
massive her web was sagging under her weight.

Araneus diadematus, AKA "Cross Spider", probably. One of the Orb spiders.
He he RF.

The webs are so strong, I can lean a broom against some between our garage and the fence.

Strangley the prolific ones in the garden are house spiders though we have some evil looking black ones in the house shiny black, one in each corner of the conservatory, any attempted human intervention and they retreat at the speed of light, then after the area has been naplamed, nuked, detoxed and eradiated they reappear as if from nowhere!
Spider's silk is said to be as strong as steel for any given diameter. Some facts:

www.earthlife.net/chelicerata/silk.html

tinyurl.com/ycpgc4q

www.scienceinschool.org/2007/issue4/spidersilk

What is really amazing is that spiders have had no instruction in spinning webs when born, but are "programmed" to do so.

The really big beasties, at least in our back garden, are those that live in the ivy and create a veil-like web between the leaves.
Where have all the flies gone? - turbo11
The flies are alive and well. They are residing on top of my wheelie bin. Since we went to fortnightly collections they just love it. Although they cannot get into the bin, they love the aroma of my little boys 10 day old nappies. Especially when the bin sits in the sun all day.
...they love the aroma of my little boys 10 day old nappies....

Which is a gentle - but obviously unheeded - hint to use washable nappies. :)

No smelly wheelie bin, no flies, no big bales to lump home and store, cheaper all round and better for the environment.

Where have all the flies gone? - 1400ted
Not seen many Daddy Long Legs either this year...... reminded me when I saw a deceased one in the kitchen extension today.
Normally if we leave the patio windows open after dark they come in and strike terror into the heart of Erin Dors.
Quite funny to see her dancing round the lounge screaming at me to catch it......better than anything on the telly !

Ted
Where have all the flies gone? - Bromptonaut
There were plenty in Scotland around 1st June - Berlingo was absolutely splattered on an evening dash down the A9 from Inverness to Perth. Washers just not up to the task, had to stop every half hour and clean the screen with kitchen roll.

Daddy long legs/Craneflies are down this year but they were a plague 3 or 4 years ago. Had a late September camp on a farm site near Malvern - thousands of the blighters. 1990, the year we moved up here, was a bumper year for them as well. A couple of tears later before we were assured that they were not a "feature" of Northants life.
Just got up early to do some work and there is a very annoying blue bottle buzzing around, up before the spiders perhaps ... ... aha, I can see him there up on the wall looking down at me, just below the ceiling so out of arms reach ... ... you know that feeling when you think someone is looking at you ... ... if only he could understand, he can fly around as he wishes if only he would stop the buzzing ... ... he's gonna get it with a rolled up newspaper unless he goes back to bed ... ...
Where have all the flies gone? - turbo11
...they love the aroma of my little boys 10 day old nappies....
Which is a gentle - but obviously unheeded - hint to use washable nappies. :)
No smelly wheelie bin no flies no big bales to lump home and store cheaper
all round and better for the environment.

>Your having a laugh. My wife works shifts, and I work long hours. The childminder wouldnt use them and we are not interested.
Where have all the flies gone? - b308
Let us know where you buy your eccles cakes, HJ... so we can avoid the place!!

There doesn't seem as many around this year, though I agree re the spiders, there do seem more of the beggers, and they do seem bigger... connection perhaps?!
Could also be the reason why we've only saw a handful of swallows and swifts this year, as well as the past two or three years.