Roads that are always busy - ifithelps
Trundling back up the A1(M) on Sunday evening, I was quite surprised to hear lengthy traffic bulletins on 5Live.

Taken at face value, they indicate there are a large number of traffic jams around the country at any one time.

This got me thinking about roads that are routinely always busy.

In the north there's the A1(M) and, er, another stretch of the A1(M), and even those bits are quietish from late at night to early in the morning.

Are the likes of the M1, M4 and M25 busy around the clock?

And what about A roads and the smaller roads through the big cities?
Roads that are always busy - NorfolkDriver
A7 Northbound approaching Lyon in France :)

Dont think I have ever come through there without hitting traffic or being held up at the toll booths just South of Lyon.
Roads that are always busy - Rattle
Most the roads near me are always busy some are a lot worse:-

A56 from Stretford to Altrincham is just chaos thankfully there is a tram route along this road so often just park up and get the tram but if a job is too far away from the tram line I have no choice to drive down this road and I hate it. There is speed and traffic light cameras at every junction and there is also an appalling standard of drivign down this road for some reason.

Deansgate (also the A56) in Manchester city centre is always a nightmare despite a ring road round it designed to carry north south traffic.

The A6 from Manchester city centre to Hazel Grove in Stockport, not quite as bad as the A56 and there are stretches which go quiet but certainly a good part of it you will always spend 5-10 minutes stuck in traffic no matter what time of day.

Oxford Street London - It never seems to amaze me why they bother running buses down there at all the road is a complete joke, if you want to get down it East to West walking is by the far the best way that is if you can fight your way through beggers that constantly say "excuse me do you speak German?"

Oxford Road/Wilmslow Road Manchester always always busy this was once the busiest bus route in Europe and is argable home to the biggest concentration of students in the country. As a result in rush hour it can take 1.5 hours to get 4.5 miles down the road. Even when it is quiete this journey takes 35 minutes.

Those are the roads I can think of which are always constantly busy. Roads like the A34 (Kingsway) which links South Manchester to Cheshire seem to be empty during the day and then just gridlock during rush hour.

You may have noticed I have mentioned buses a lot, I think the link is that buses tend to run down the busiest streets in terms of pedistrains as that is where the catchment is. There is no point running a every two minute bus service down some residential lead to no where road.

Edited by Rattle on 28/09/2009 at 21:27

Roads that are always busy - perro
A30 in Cornwall is often chocker due to tourists coming & going, can be awful Eastbound at Temple just East of Bodmin, best to take the A39 (and get held up in Camelford :)
A390 into Truro is an absolute joke most times, which is a pain because all the DIY stores and around that side, I live in the rough part near the A39 and there is nothing here except the Crematorium, and I don't need that yet (hehehe!)
Roads that are always busy - fredthefifth
M4 Cardiff/Newport whenever I go near it!!!
FTF
Roads that are always busy - Another John H
M42 grumbles away around the clock.

I can hear it in the distance from the bathroom window, and even in the wee small hours it's never quiet.

Busy or very busy during the day. Then it expands onto the hard shoulder too.

GOK where everyone's going.
Roads that are always busy - Harleyman
Went to Kettering for a meeting on Sunday; left there about 18.00 and was surprised to find a lengthy queue at the M1/A14/M6 intersection, a good mile of it.

Agree with John H about the M42. How on earth did we ever manage without that, and the M25? I can remember doing London and the Home Counties before the latter, and I'm certain the jams were never as bad then.
Roads that are always busy - Altea Ego
The junction of the M1/A14/M6 is *always* a nightmare. if you want to join or leave the A14. Its the most badly designed major intersection in the world and a disgrace to modern society.
Roads that are always busy - Berisford
The junction of the M1/A14/M6 is *always* a nightmare. if you want to join or
leave the A14. Its the most badly designed major intersection in the world and a
disgrace to modern society.

Truly it is, designed by primary school children I imagine.
Roads that are always busy - stunorthants26
The junction of the M1/A14/M6 is *always* a nightmare. if you want to join or
leave the A14. Its the most badly designed major intersection in the world and a
disgrace to modern society.

Truly it is, designed by primary school children I imagine.

Yes it is, that is very close to where I live and it is one of the dumbest junctions ever designed. The A14 isnt a bad road, but the end/start of it is silly.
Roads that are always busy - John F
Yes it is that is very close to where I live and it is one
of the dumbest junctions ever designed. The A14 isnt a bad road but the end/start
of it is silly.

I must disagree. The A14 is a disgracefully inadequate and dangerous road. It carries a vast amount of traffic yet has many non-grade separated junctions and no hard shoulder. As I write this at least three people have been killed on it this afternoon on one of the busiest and most dangerous sections where it skirts south of Kettering. It should be at least three lanes wide with no direct access...i.e.a proper motorway.
Roads that are always busy - AlastairW
I dont know Rattle, the A6 isnt that bad. I crossed it without the aid of a pedestrian crossing quite recently....it was 3am, mind you.
I think it has patches. I would say from Hazel Grove to Stockport its very busy, then it gets very busy again from Longsight into the city centre. Round the Heatons it seems a bit quieter.

Of course I am only talking about the Stockport area of the A6 here, I realise its a very very long road and parts of it will be empty (thanks to the M6) and other parts very busy.

Roads that are always busy - L'escargot
The A1/A1(M) past Doncaster is busy 24 hours a day. We lived half a mile away and under certain weather conditions traffic/tyre noise was constant. You couldn't sleep with a window open.

Edited by L'escargot on 29/09/2009 at 06:45

Roads that are always busy - b308
M5/M6 junction is a nightmare for a large percentage of the day as well... and the section of M6 from the M61 to the Blackpool motorway turnoff seems to be very bad during the daytime...
Roads that are always busy - Armstrong Sid
Try the A453 between the south of Nottingham and the M1. It's only single carriageway most of the time and it's a permanent crawl for most of its length.

Added to that, it suffers badly from idiot drivers who try to overtake at the wrong place, so its closed at least once a week due to accidents which block it
Roads that are always busy - boxsterboy
Dartford crossing on M25.

I often wonder how much better the traffic would flow without the toll booths. I always laugh at the justification for keeping tolls long after the cost of building the bridge was met; "to deter people from using the bridge"

Eh?? Why build a bridge and then try and deter people from using it!!??!! Madness.
Roads that are always busy - NowWheels
Dartford crossing on M25.
I often wonder how much better the traffic would flow without the toll booths.

The toll booths can be abolished without getting rid of the tolls. This was done a year ago on Westlink bridge on M50 in Dublin, to avoid the traffic jams caused by the toll booths. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFlow
Roads that are always busy - Dave_TD
Often I travel from Coalville to the north side of Bedford, which means I leave the M1 southbound to join the eastbound A14. 50% of the time I can get a clear run at the roundabout without getting stuck at the lights, and the only times I see queues are at rush hour or following accidents on the A14. The problem is that junction 1 is several miles away from the M1/M6 so any problems on that stretch affect a lot of people at once.

I did once see the police / wombles scraping a car off the nearside eastbound verge 200 yards away from the roundabout - it looked like the driver had "swooped" through the heavily cambered roundabout a bit *too* quickly and not been able to hold it together afterwards. I've also seen the aftermath of a car heading westbound on the A14 where the driver had neglected to acknowledge either the yellow rumble strips or the roundabout. They ended up leaping the roundabout, missing the (very) cross traffic and coming to rest amongst the trees next to the southbound M1 off slip.

My vote for a permanently busy road would be the A41 Soho Hill through Handsworth - a two-way road lined with many small shops and suffering with endemic double-parking.

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 29/09/2009 at 12:03

Roads that are always busy - Andrew-T
A55 Holyhead trunk road can be busy 24/7 because of night ferries. Some wagons leave Holyhead then park in a lay-by soon after and sleep it off.
Roads that are always busy - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
A38 between Little Eaton and Markeaton roundabouts (near Derby) seems to have a permanent traffic jam.
I've to go that way to a customer and I dread it.
When I was driving down the A55 I didn't really notice it being busy as such just normal amounts of traffic for the time of day really. I was lucky enough to avoid the trucks too maybe due to the recession there is less trucks down there than there used to be.
Roads that are always busy - Soupytwist
A120 between Braintree and the A12 at Marks Tey in Essex. Always busy, and we've already spent the best part of £1m looking into improvement proposals with no end in sight.