2002 1.8 Oil leaks - Focus_Driver
I have an oil leak around the engine, and top up about qtr litre every 3000 miles. Is it normal for cars to have leaks after a certain age? Mines 7 years. I normally don't do anything about it unless its major. Should it be checked out and what are the likely causes - worn gasket cover etc? And can it lead to long term damage to engine or any components (if I keep the oil topped up)?

Edited by Focus1.8TDCi on 27/09/2009 at 16:19

2002 1.8 Oil leaks - Peter D
The engine would use that much anyway in that distance are you sure it it not a fuel leak. Where abouts is the leak. Regards Peter
No its not fuel as I would be able to smell it. The oil is around the engine area, hoses, outside drive shaft, etc.
Engine area if vague to say the leaset. Is it a leaking seal in the gear box. Regards Peter
Yes there are leaks around the gear box. I'd like to know what are the likely areas where engine can leak from. At the moment there's surface oil over quite a wide area so its hard to pinpoint the source.
Pop it into an independent garage, they will have seen it many times. A drive shaft oil seal is likely and the shaft is throwing the oil over the area. You will also need to have the oil level checked and the area cleaned to identify source of the leak. Regards Peter
Thanks for that, sounds like the best thing to do.