Focus Estate equivalent - snorkerz
I'm looking for a 3 year old car roughly the size of a Focus Estate. I'll use it to transport my disabled wife, so the passenger seat needs to be at standard height and the boot length needs to be around 1m long to fit an electric wheelchair in. A low lip would be good too as the wheelchair is heavy.

Problem is, the Focus is too expensive for me :-( can anyone recommend an alternative that would be less than £5,500 with reasonable miles (say 40k).

Don't mid Petrol or Diesel, Manual or Auto, Black or Pink.
Focus Estate equivalent - Alby Back
Astras seem to be cheaper than an equivalent Focus. Not sure why. They seem good enough cars. Not had one in the family for ages though so can't comment on the latest generation. Berlingos can be cheap enough too and seem practical.
Focus Estate equivalent - a900ss
Octavia. It has a huge boot and you will get one in your budget (according to autotrader) and age but the miles will be higher than 40k, probably nearer double that. Provided it has been well maintained, I'd have no problems of 80k miles on a 3 year old car.

You may also have more luck if you go 'up' a size, Mondeo, Vectra etc.

Best of luck with your search.

Edited by a900ss on 26/09/2009 at 19:30

Focus Estate equivalent - gordonbennet
Agree with Astra, especially capable in 1.9 Diesel form.

Chev Lacetta different.
Focus Estate equivalent - Avant
The only problem with the otherwise excellent Octavia is the high lip over which you'd have to lift the wheelchair. Have a look at one and see if it's a problem for you.

Otherwise I think I too would look seriously at a Berlingo (or similar Peugeot Partner): you'll get a newer one that you would a Focus, and I think it has a low lip. Astras also worth a look - there are more of them around, but they tend to be ex-fleet and possibly hard-used.

Edited by Avant on 26/09/2009 at 19:40

Focus Estate equivalent - snorkerz
Thanks all - I must admit the Astra Estate would be another top choice - but it does run close price wise with the Focus. A few suggestions for the Berlingo, so I took a look at the sizes but the boot isn't deep enough with the rear seats up - and we need the rear seats for our 14yo.

Quite liked the idea of the Octavia but to get the space, it too would need to be Estate and they are then more expensive than the Focus.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, really appreciated
Focus Estate equivalent - gmac
Xsara Picasso or how about an unloved by everyone SUV ?
Focus Estate equivalent - debonairzummerzetmillionaire
Corolla estate seems unloved, but a decent car. When I bought my Corolla it was cheaper than the equivalent Focus. Primera also cheap, but probably too large.
Focus Estate equivalent - b308
Roomster is big enough as well...

BTW you can get a ramp to load a wheelchair into a car, but they can be pricey! I'd have thought that a flat loading bay is essential, with no lip, for that purpose, which rules out several suggetsions (including mine!)... I'd be inclined to look at the van-based stuff as well... Berlingo, Doblo, Pertner, etc... just bear in mind that the new Berlingo is a damn big car, if you want something smaller go for the older version... its not for nothing that the most common car used to carry a wheelchair round in is the Berlingo! You can get any of the van-cars converted with a lowered rear entry(!) as well... why not look and see if there are any converted ones for sale (you could try Motability to see if they have any?)....

Focus Estate equivalent - cheddar
Focus estates are relatively pricey because they are pretty good cars so it might be worth going for an earlier Focus rather than a 3 year old lesser car.
Focus Estate equivalent - perro
I would consider the Golf estate m8 ~ tinyurl.com/yafb2fa
Focus Estate equivalent - barneybear
Megan estate. Load area actually bigger than old Laguna. New was cheaper than Focus, so guessing that 2nd hand will also be cheap. Mine is only 2 years old and would need more than £7,000 for it (57 plate 1.9CDi). petrol will be cheap though.
Focus Estate equivalent - ijws15
The Octavia can have a variable boot floor fitted - std on the upmarket estates but available for all (I have it on a hatch).

Gives you a flat floor level with the lip AND a compartment underneath where you can put stuff you don't want the chair to squash.
Focus Estate equivalent - b308
An electric wheelchair tends to be quite tall, so if you lift the boot floor up it may not go in... I think the best advice for the OP is to go and look at all the cars mentioned, with a tape measure... and, I'd suggest, the wheelchair in question... if its a proper electric wheelchair and not a folding one with electric motor attachment (which we have) then its weight and size will severly restrict what can be used and they are unweildy and bulky things as well. Also bear in mind that you may wish to carry luggage as well as the wheelchair, so just getting that in is only the start!!

If its a permament disability are you not getting Motability? In which case I'd suggest having a word with them or one of the people who advertise wheelchair suitable conversions...

Edited by b308 on 29/09/2009 at 09:44

Focus Estate equivalent - Pugugly
Roomster - I saw one in town with a specially made ramp - cracking motor - an early 1.9 diesel should be within your budget as well by now. Decent drive, especially the Scout.
Focus Estate equivalent - Sam49
How about a Mitsubishi Lancer Estate? A bit leftfield but 2005-2006 seem incredibly low priced vs Focus, generally low mileage, reliable (you'd assume) and I think they look nice too
My dad has a Corolla estate having had a succession of your typical heroic war-horse Volvo wagons. He thinks the Toyota is fantastic.