Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - NowWheels
Took my Almera in today for its annual service, at a franchised Nissan dealer. Not in my town, but not too far away, and they are part of the same group I bought the car from.

The car is 5 years old net week, and therefore 2 years out of warranty, so I should probably have gone to an independent, but I didn't. I stuck with the same franchised dealer I had used all along.

The only problem I had identified was the handbrake warning light coming on, so I reported that when I left the car in. 90 minutes later I got a call with a list of faults. Wipers worn, but I was happy to replace them. One tyre worn, but the biggy was that I was told my front brake discs were worn low, and my rear ones had worn right through and wrecked the discs. So new pads all round recommended plus new rear discs, and that'll be over £400 please.

I said no. At the Nissan garage's recommendation, I replaced discs and pads on all 4 wheels less than three years ago (see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47155&...f ), and the car has only done less than 20,000 miles since then ... and I protested that this sounded highly implausible -- the brakes should not have worn out in that time, and it didn't make sense that the fronts were less worn than the back. They insisted, but I still said no.

When I picked up the car, the service invoice included the recommendation for new brake pads and discs, with the price. I took it with me and went to a notoriously decent local independent garage, and asked them to have a look and see if they confirmed the diagnosis. The answer was an adamant "no" -- rear pads and discs were fine, and friend were only half-worn. So I danced with joy and thanked them for saving me £400, while they expressed horror that anyone would try claiming the work was needed.

I went off for a coffee and thought about things, and eventually decided to call the dealer principal at the Nissan garage. I explained what had happened, and asked him what he wanted to do about the situation: I made no demands, just asked him what he wanted to do.

He said he'd talk to the service manager and call me back, which he did. He says he'll stand by his technician, but I'm welcome to call in tomorrow and have the car checked by the service manager. I said I'd see if I could find time to do that, but that there had better be a very good explanation for this or I was going to trading standards. We left it at that.

Now I'm unsure what to do. I'm no mechanic, so I can't counter what they say: the best I can do is to ask them to put in writing exactly what they have found. Which they may or may not do.

I'm disgusted by this, and if they don't offer a grovelling apology I want to take it further. So it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to get a written report from sort of independent assessor, so that I had something firm to offer trading standards. I know it will cost me a few quid, but if my independent garage is right in its assessment, this looks to me like something worth taking further, and I'm prepared to put a few quid of my own money into collecting the evidence.

Does the idea of an independent report sound like a good idea? And if so, how could I find someone reasonably authoritative to do it?

I'm not minded to walk away from this. Maybe I should, but I'm stubborn mood, 'cos someone tried it on a few months ago over my camper, and I want to make a stand. So pls don't try talking me out of doing something ... but any suggestions on how to proceed would be muchly welcome.

(PS -- mods, I dunno if I was right to categorise this as miscellaneous, but I couldn't see a better category. Please recategorise if you think that's appropriate)
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Altea Ego
Is it worth the Agro? what will you get out of it? and why did you not take it to your notoriously decent local independent garage in the first place? Its a 5 year old car after all.
Is it worth the Agro? what will you get out of it?

I'll get nothing out of it myself, but it might lead to the garage being warned off doing this to someone else.
and why did you not take it to your notoriously decent local independent
garage in the first place? Its a 5 year old car after all.

Habit? Stupidity? I dunno exactly why, but I was kicking myself afterwards.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Westpig
Good luck. This sort of thing really irritates me. I sincerely hope you wipe the smile off their smug faces.

How about contacting Trading Standards early and see what would be ideal for them to take action. You never know they might be able to point you in the right direction for an independent assessor.

The other angle is if you don't get the right vibes, it might prevent some costs on your part only then to find Mr Indifferent at Trading Standards.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - perro
I had a slightly similar event last year N/W with my Almera @ a Nissan dealership, they stuck a can of fuel treatment in without asking me 1st, then I had the car MOT'd at a local garage and it failed on the headlight aim which was odd because Nissan have serviced the car from new & headlight aim is part of the schedule.
I wrote to the dealer prince and he replied with an oh so sorry letter + the cost of the fuel treatment and the MOT ... I still take it to them for servicing but they 'know' me now!
The thing is - how worn is worn? and when does worn become - worn out?
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Another John H
when does worn become - worn out?

AIUI there is a minimum thickness specified for a disc, and they do wear out quite quickly with modern (no asbestos) pads.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - schneip
If it were my car I'd be part tempted to get in touch with 'Rogue Traders'/Watchdog purely to vent my anger at these cowboys trying to take me (and potentially many others) for a mug.

You never know, they might have already received complaints about this outfit (though unfortunately, I'm sure other innocent motorists might not have been so on the ball as your good self). I'm guessing if the researchers for such a programme thought it was worth investigating further, they'd arrange for your car to be independently checked further at no cost to you?

Failing that I'd certainly pay trading standards a visit - if nothing else, you can register a legitimate complaint with an appropriate body.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - bell boy
your invoice in your words recommends discs and pads,so what will you prove by going back or going to court
you really need to move on from this and learn a valuable lesson
what sticks in my throat is you went to the independant after the event
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - ifithelps
I'd be inclined to take this a little further as outlined by other posters, but have a mental cut-off point, so it doesn't take over your life.

Maybe a written complaint to the dealer and Trading Standards and leave it at that.

Looks to me like this lot tried to take advantage of what they saw as a mug punter - shameful.

It seems thieves in the motor trade can either be franchised or non-franchised.

I'd be inclined to take this a little further as outlined by other posters but
have a mental cut-off point so it doesn't take over your life.

Good idea. I had already decided not to take up the suggestion of Watchdog or Rogue Traders, and just to bring it to TS.
Maybe a written complaint to the dealer and Trading Standards and leave it at that.

Yup, I think that'll be about my limit. I'm going away next week, and will leave it behind then ... and in the meantime I've got a lot on. But I can afford to put a few hours into this over the next day or two.
your invoice in your words recommends discs and pads so what will you prove by
going back or going to court

I have no intention of going to court, and don't think I would have any case if I did, 'cos I didn't actually have the un-needed work done.

What I want to do is to see whether they stand over yesterday's misdiagnosis.
you really need to move on from this and learn a valuable lesson

I have indeed learnt a lesson. But I want the garage to learn one too, because it just might leave them a little less likely try the trick with someone else.
what sticks in my throat is you went to the independant after the event

Why?????

Yes, I should have gone there in the first place. But i paid him for his time checking the car today, and I'll use him next time. So what's hurting your throat?
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Lud
Write an extremely blunt letter to the managing director making it absolutely clear that you know the truth about the car and believe that their service department was trying it on in a dishonest way.

Say that you personally would rather be flayed alive than ever darken their door again, and that you intend to explain the reasons for this to anyone wanting to buy or maintain a Nissan. Make it clear that they are a waste of bandwidth and if people weren't so half-witted they would be out of business already.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Westpig
Say that you personally would rather be flayed alive than ever darken their door

>>again and that you intend to explain the reasons for this to anyone wanting to buy
or maintain a Nissan.

i've always worked on the principle of making them think i'm a loyal customer (or could be) and that they need to do something to keep it that way...because if they think you're now a lost cause...they're not going to gain anything anyway...and you'll get nowt (even if it's an apology, admission of wrongdoing etc rather than pecuniary advantage that you're looking for)

if you secretly intend never to darken their door, they don't need to know that...yet
making them think i'm a loyal customer

Not after a piece of rubbish like that though Wp, surely? They'll just think you're another sucker punter.

A very large flea in the ear and never talk to the carphounds again is the only answer.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - jbif
I'm not minded to walk away from this. >>

Agreed. Do not walk away. Report them to trading standards, to the trade body, OFT, and whoever else needs be. See if the garage is part of this scheme and if so, tell them too:
www.motorindustrycodes.co.uk/our-codes/service-and.../
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=7785

The scam, that you did not fall, for has been described by HJ for years:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=92

Edited by jbif on 23/09/2009 at 20:21

Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Martin Devon
For £9.99 buy a domain name similar to theirs whether they have a website or not. Create for buttons money a mini site stating your findings. Costs a fiver a month at most to host it. DO NOT use their logo or colours etc., but name them nonetheless. Hit the local community with flyers. Tell them first that you'll do this and demand a written apology and some compensation and if they don't play ball just do it. Believe me it works.

Martin Jimny.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Manatee
NW, I think your approach so far is spot on.

There is unfortunately room for a range of opinion. Dealers would say they can't assume that a half worn pad, which they consider more rather than less half worn, will last until the next service; ditto disc thickness. My 69,000 miler still has original pads and discs, 44,000 miles after I was told I needed new pads, and 19,000 after I was told I needed discs as well. If I'd taken their advice I'd probably have had two sets of pads and four discs by now (not cheap at a Honda dealer).

Your case sounds beyond that - telling you the pads are totally worn through and have damaged the discs isn't a matter of opinion.

It'll be interesting to hear what they say. What would you say if they offered to cancel your bill subject to keeping quiet?
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Martin Devon
>>What would you say if they offered
to cancel your bill subject to keeping quiet?

NO. Poke it up them. Their lies are outrageous and they should suffer the consequences of their prevarications.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - gordonbennet
One mans half worn out disc is another mans only half worn disc.

I'd be inclined to keep the appointement with the dealer, let their service manager strip the wheels off and show you my measuring the disc and pad thickness and comparing with the manufacturers recommendation that your brakes really are worn out.

It also wouldn't be the first time that a workshop throws a bit of fuel on the fire by calling another workshop, not saying thats the case here, but keep an open mind.

Did you see the offending items yourself or are you going by 2 differing reports only?

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/09/2009 at 21:40

Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Fullchat
As this was an attempt to rip you off which you have foiled then you have suffered no loss. I do not think that Trading Standards will be interested as the garage will make up some cock and bull story to cover their tracks and maintain that you must have been mistaken about the conversation blah blah.

I believe that Trading Standards are very much like every other public body. Unless there is something really meaty in it they will not be interested due to lack of resources. I was once given a present of a faulty, returned and repaired portable TV sold as new. Contacted TS and even provided full proper written statements from myself and the purchaser. The well known electrical retailer received a caution - so that was a waste of time!
As this was an attempt to rip you off which you have foiled then you
have suffered no loss. I do not think that Trading Standards will be interested as
the garage will make up some cock and bull story to cover their tracks and
maintain that you must have been mistaken about the conversation blah blah.

I think you're mostly right, but I do have in writing the garage's recommendation for replacement, so the misunderstood-the-conversation gambit has only limited utility to them.

Unfortunately, it looks like you are spot on with Trading Standards. They appear to have formed a cosy "partnership" with the motor trade: www.mtp.wyjs.org.uk/ and www.ts.wyjs.org.uk/ ... the latter says "The Service adopts an approach of 'no intervention without a reason' with an emphasis on helping business 'get things right' ".

Since they have no legal basis for any 'intervention without a reason', the statement looks to me like a polite way of saying "all we do is have nice cosy chats". But I'll see how this works out in practice.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Mick Snutz
Simply vote with your feet and never use them again and warn as many friends, family and work colleagues as you can. Word will soon get round. If you're really bothered, get a third opinion from one of the mainstream brake & tyre outlets. They usually offer a free check and then if it agrees with the 2nd garage just write a short letter explaining what you think of the Nissan dealer. They probably won't respond or even care but at least you've had a good moan and got it off your chest.
I'd be inclined to keep the appointement with the dealer let their service manager strip
the wheels off and show you my measuring the disc and pad thickness and comparing
with the manufacturers recommendation that your brakes really are worn out.

I think that's a good idea. I'll bring my camera.
It also wouldn't be the first time that a workshop throws a bit of fuel
on the fire by calling another workshop not saying thats the case here but keep
an open mind.

I think that's unlikely. When I had my pads and discs replaced three years ago, the independent got the job, and they'd have got it again if they said it needed doing. So if they were fuelling the fire, they'd have cut off their own noses to spite their face.
Did you see the offending items yourself or are you going by 2 differing reports
only?

The two reports.
Your case sounds beyond that - telling you the pads are totally worn through and
have damaged the discs isn't a matter of opinion.

Yes, that's what I was told. I was told that the rears were absolutely beyod salvation.
It'll be interesting to hear what they say. What would you say if they offered
to cancel your bill subject to keeping quiet?

I'll tell them my silence is not on offer; the issue is which storyry I tell. Do I tell of a garage that admitted a big error and agreed to take steps to prevent a repetition, or of one which blustered and denied everything?

If they offer to cancel the service bill, even unconditionally, the answer is no: I am not trying to make money out of them, I'm trying to stop other customers being hoodwinked. But if they want to apologise, then as a sign of good faith I'll accept evidence that they have donated the invoice amount to charity.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - nortones2
More power to your elbow! I suspect there is the usual gender issue here, unless I am mistaken. TS often of little use, due to LA poverty/indolence/corruption, whichever is true of the relevant LA. Independent inspection, if you can find this at a level to satisfy evidentially, might quantify the position. Legal cover to pay for a respectable professional opinion?
... I'll tell them my silence is not on offer; the issue is which storyry I tell. Do I tell of a garage that admitted a big error and agreed to take steps to prevent a repetition, or of one which blustered and denied everything? .. >>

A la FIA, Renault, McLaren. And is likely to work if the garage is aware that you are as determined like the FIA were. I shan't be surprised if they take the Briatrore approach whereby rather than admit the plot, he denied it all and instead threatened to sue the Piquets for alleged attempted blackmail.

Do check
www.motorindustrycodes.co.uk/our-codes/service-and...l

Go get them. There are too many scammers about.

Edited by jbif on 23/09/2009 at 22:20

Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - rtj70
A little off topic/thread jbif ;-) It was also Nelson's idea....

Back to NW's question. I think I'd want to take this further like you on principal. So best of luck with that. I have an example of being ripped off slightly (not motoring related) but will let it go for now as it's only £115 and may benefit me.
Unless you have the remorseless mad obsessive energy to be the punter from hell, NW, I don't think there's much to be done apart from letting these people know what you think of them in unambiguous terms, adding that you will pass that opinion on to any interested party you meet. It could make them think. But they could be used to it.

You certainly don't want to get entangled or involved in any way, surely? They haven't eaten your dog after all.
Unless you have the remorseless mad obsessive energy to be the punter from hell NW

You probably won't believe this, Lud, ... but I do actually have the ability to be a remorseless mad obsessive. I have years of practice as a campaigner, and know how to find pressure points.

So if they are foolish enough to dig in, I can make them at least remember that not all women car owners are dupes who'll go quietly. I can at any stage just drop it and tell them where to go, but I'll see what the next few rounds of diplomacy bring.
They haven't eaten your dog after all.

True! But if they had, I'd probably already have been arrested for GBH. Mercifully, he's not involved.

There is also an extra factor, in that there is particular aspect to this dealership which leads me to have expected them to treat me a little better than this. I won't say more about that because it might leave a very vague clue clue to identifying them, but it's partly why I'm curious to find out just how much they dig their heels in.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - DP
If it were me, I would just be extremely curious to find out what they have to say for themselves as much as anything else. As you say, it might just make them think twice about doing it again. Most people are mechanically clueless and just cough up.

A while back, SWMBO took our old Sierra in for an MOT. I'd not long treated it to new pads and discs, as well as given it a thorough check over and found nothing obviously amiss. She came back in tears with a fail sheet as long as your arm, with "front pads worn down to metal" being the comment that immediately made me see red, as well as "TCA bushes badly worn" (less than 6 months old and absolutely perfect), tyre worn unevenly (it wasn't) etc etc. The establishment concerned also sold used cars, and she'd been approached by a salesman as she left, offering her "a deal" on a number of cars on the forecourt, and some stupid price for this "condemned" Sierra in part-ex.

When I went down and politely asked them to explain the items on the list, they first of all accused me of changing the parts in between the two visits, and then became aggressive and threatened to have me thrown off the premises if I didn't leave.

I got home, and contacted VOSA immediately, and the place was shut down two weeks later apparently, the article in the local newspaper mentioning the action had followed "a number of complaints." I drove the car in the same state to another local place, where it passed with one advisory (slight weep one of the shocks)

I have no sympathy whatsoever with these sharks. They should be put out of business. Sometimes components can be borderline, and there will always be items which you could argue either way, but to outright lie to a customer and fabricate work for financial gain is inexcusable. In this case they weren't interested in the work, but tried to flog her a new car. In the OPs case, they wanted the repair revenue. It all amounts to the same thing at the end of the day.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - perro
I feel sure the indie & the pain dealer will have a good chuckle over this down at the local lodge , but they will quickly move on and forget you - I suggest you do the same.
I feel sure the indie & the pain dealer will have a good chuckle over
this down at the local lodge

Unlikely, because the indie garage is run by a wonderful Sikh family. Freemasonry ain't a Sikh thing.
they will quickly move on and forget you - I suggest you do the same.

No can do. I want to see them squirm a bit first.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - helicopter
Freemasonry ain't a Sikh thing..

You would be surprised NW . Freemasonry is a universal , charitable organisation and a lot less secretive than many people think.

Google UGLE if you want to see what Freemasonry in the UK is really all about and do not believe the rubbish conspiracy theories put about by people who have no idea what they are talking about....

I know at least one Sikh locally to me who is a Freemason and he runs an independent garage and I buy my tyres from him .

The only reason I do not use him for servicing my cars is because his garage is a bit out of town on a small industrial estate and difficult to get to.
I do actually have the ability to be a remorseless mad obsessive.

I suppose many of us have the ability, NW, but can we really be bothered? Are we mad enough?
why I'm curious to find out just how much they dig their heels in.

You'll be disappointed I'm afraid. One person says this, another that; half-truths, half-lies, half-apologies, half-promises, half-threats, the whole sorry mess of bog standard moral confusion and social squalor... you've seen it all before after all. Personally I don't much enjoy the spectacle of squirming cockchafer grubs cut in half by a spade. But if it rings your bell...

Unfortunately this casual thieving from ignorant car owners is so widespread that quite a few garage monkeys see it as their right. As DP recounts, they are quite capable in some cases of getting nasty when unmasked. The only dignified response is instant, very rude and forthright rejection of their so-called services, followed by word-of-mouth publicity.

Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - TheOilBurner
A few years back I got very frustrated with a local incompetent Ford dealer, although they weren't malicious like this Nissan dealer appears to be. This dealer were in the habit of screwing something up each and every time either of our two ever Fords visited them. Either they couldn't fix the problem they were presented with, or they messed something else up, or simply did work on the cars without authorisation, which I usually felt was unnecessary (e.g. replace rear wiper because it was a "safety" item)...

So I sent them a strongly worded letter, and then had a meeting with the dealer principle who seemed sympathetic and full of apologies.

Fine, so I took my car back hoping that all would now be well....it wasn't. They screwed up again.

Life's too short, so I simply took my business elsewhere, which is probably what I should have done in the first place.

Last year they went bust, much to my amusement. Few, if anybody, lost their jobs, as another large chain stepped in and took over. One that I'd had positive experiences with.

Seems like justice was served eventually. You just can't run a business so badly forever and still get away with it.

NW, don't bother wasting any more time on this. Tell your friends to avoid them like the plague and then move on. That Nissan dealer will get their just desserts one day.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - ifithelps
Both the OP and DP's partner have had attempts made to rip them off.

Is there a common, er, thread to this thread?

Motor trade sees female motorists as easy pickings?

Surely not.

Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Andrew-T
That Nissan dealer will get their just desserts one day.

Perhaps the dessert may have a Cherry on top? :-(

Interesting thread - just proves that the behaviour of dealerships has more to do with the staff there, than with the marque they trade under. The Nissan dealership in Widnes has had an excellent reputation for decades. Both my daughters bought used 205s there, with a bouquet included; they also did a good job sorting a thirsty Swift many years ago.

Rather amusingly, one daughter works for Trading Standards while hubby works for Nissan ...
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - L'escargot
NW don't bother wasting any more time on this. Tell your friends to avoid them
like the plague and then move on.

I agree. It's not worth spending time and money on, regardless of how little each might be.
... not worth spending time and money on ... >> and other similar posts.

I do despair at the Britain of today. How have we been converted in to this "take it lying down" attitude. Where has the bulldog spirit gone?
No wonder we are trodden over in all walks of life, including motoring, by politicians, by unscrupulous businesses, by bankers, by hackers who hack this site, by 419 scams, etc. etc.

Thankfully a few of us still have the guts to fight for what is right, and I encourage NW not to give up.

Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - TheOilBurner
There are things worth fighting for, but only if a) you have a chance of winning and b) it makes any difference whether you do or not.

Taking your business away from a rotten company and advising others to do the same works. If it's not a one off, they will hurt soon enough.

Even if NW succeeds in getting the dealer to admit wrong and make amends, does anyone seriously think it will stop them from trying again with someone else?
things worth fighting for, but only if a) you have a chance of winning and b) it makes any difference whether you do or not. >>

Both things are possible if you have an army of brave soldiers (such as NW) who will not surrender at the first hurdle and get moral support from their kin (only a few on this site who support NW[*] it seems).
does anyone seriously think it will stop them from trying again with someone else? >>

They will do it to others knowing that the country is full of wimps who will turn the other cheek rather than stand up for what is right (citing time and trouble not worth the bother as their defence).

[*] NW is defending the corner of motorists in this case, whereas she used to get attacked on this site as being anti-car!

Edited by jbif on 24/09/2009 at 17:11

Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - ForumNeedsModerating
He said he'd talk to the service manager and call me back, which he did. He says he'll stand by his technician, but I'm welcome to call in tomorrow and have the car checked by the service manager

This is the best first step in my view - but do try to take a witness/friend whatever.

The dealer principal may have taken the mechanic's account at face value - as well as yours - and is offering the 'arbitration' by the service manager. He may well be sincere & honest (the dealer principal) & just want to resolve it. Take your report/opinion of your independent garage & ask to see the inspection operation as it's carried out - your witness/friend is invaluable at this point.

Perhaps (and this is a big perhaps) the garage has just as much an interest in running an efficient & honest operation as you have in wanting it. Maybe the dealer principal has seen things like this happen before & just needs proof.

This may sound like a rosy optimistic view of human nature - but at least give the garage the chance to review it all out in the open, then think about other options.
Garage trying it on. What do I do next? - Kevin
It's not often that NW and myself are on the same side of a debate but I'd be as annoyed as her if someone had tried to pull something like this on me. These guys need to be made as uncomfortable as possible.

TOB said:

>does anyone seriously think it will stop them from trying again with someone else?

They certainly won't stop if everyone just shrugs their shoulders and accepts it.

W said:

>offering the 'arbitration' by the service manager.

I suspect that the Service Manager and Dealer Principal have most to gain from inflated service bills so it's definitely not arbitration. It's the first step in passing the buck as far down the chain as possible.

>at least give the garage the chance to review it all out in the open, then think about other options.

I agree. And then if it's obvious that they were trying to rip you off NW - give them hell.

Are they a member of any trade bodies that you could complain to like the Motor Industry Code of Practice folks?

Kevin...
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - NowWheels
Today was busy, so I didn't go back to the Nissan dealer today. But I can go tomorrow or maybe monday, so I'm going to go prepared.

I really liked Gordonbennett's suggestion at www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?m=908511...e that I get them to check the wear against manufacturer's specs. I am going to bring a witness and get a micrometer (Screwfix have em for under £16, at tinyurl.com/hilka-micrometer ), and start by getting the service manger to agree what the diagnosis was that I was given. It should be written on their jobsheet, so I'll ask to see the jobsheet. Then I'll ask them to check what manufacturers specs are for the discs: what's the minimum thickness.

Once I've got that clarification of what we are looking for, I'll agree to the car going up on the ramp so that we can examine the brakes ... but no inspection until we have agreed what we are looking for. I'll photograph what we find, and see where we get to.

Of course, they may just tell me to eff off at some point, but if so I'll have satisfied myself that they are indeed scammers ... because an honest outfit shouldn't object to any the above.

I don't expect that much will come of this. I suspect it's unlikely that I will be able to demonstrate outright lying, but if not it will be interesting to see where which sort of grey area it lands in. The worst case is that I actually learn something about brakes, and will be a more educated customer in future.

I told a friend about all this yesterday, and she recounted it to her husband, who guessed the rest as soon as brakes were mentioned. He works in a different end of the motor trade, and so far as he was concerned this sort of thing was just standard practice in garages, so routine that most of them regard stinging the client for unnecessary work as a sort of entitlement.

I believe him, just as I believe HJ's FAQ entry on service scams, and at this point I seriously doubt that I can make even a small dent in it. But just as an exercise in study human behaviour, I am curious to see how this garage plays its cards when we get down to examining these allegedly dangerous brakes.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/09/2009 at 02:12

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - Kevin
>and get a micrometer..

You can buy a 6" plastic vernier caliper for less than a fiver.

More useful than a micrometer.

Kevin...
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - the swiss tony
SQ again!
More useful than a micrometer.

I beg to disagree... a micrometer can measure the most worn area, a vernier caliper can only measure the thickest point... plus a micrometer is a lot more accurate (as long as you know how to read it!)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/09/2009 at 02:12

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - Kevin
>I beg to disagree... a micrometer can measure the most worn area,

Depends on the worn area and the dia. of the micrometer legs. We're not talking about +/- a micron here.

Tilt a micrometer a few degrees each way and the reading will change. You can tilt a vernier to read between ridges.

A cheap vernier is accurate to tenths of a mm, you can measure up to 6", and it will measure outer and internal.

>plus a micrometer is a lot more accurate (as long as you know how to read it!)

I've calibrated micrometers traceable to National standards.

Kevin...

Edited by Kevin on 25/09/2009 at 01:29

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - datostar
I beg to disagree... a micrometer can measure the most worn area a vernier caliper
can only measure the thickest point... plus a micrometer is a lot more accurate (as
long as you know how to read it!)

Agreed. There will invariably be an unworn and probably rusty 'lip' on the disc which the caliper will measure. You need to get past that to the worn area. I had a similar problem when a shyster garage operation told me I needed new discs, telephoning me and using the expression 'work required' (which put my back up straight away). I asked them what the manufacturer's permitted wear was and what my discs were and they couldn't answer either question. Those discs lasted another 3 years.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - Lud
There's no need for very exact measurement for this purpose. Nearest mm or half mm will do. If the disc is that close to too thin the garage may have a point, anyway from its point of view. After all the next service may be another year away.

Telling a punter the pads are down to metal and have damaged the disc, when it is far from true, is extracting it so grossly that prison is the only just punishment.

Of course the world is full of pathetic punters just begging to have this done to them. It's built into the logic of the privately owned automobile. Perhaps the fathers of the industry realised this would happen and worked to accentuate it. But I don't think so. I think it just happened.

Edited by Lud on 25/09/2009 at 01:42

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - datostar
Of course the world is full of pathetic punters just begging to have this done
to them. It's built into the logic of the privately owned automobile. Perhaps the fathers
of the industry realised this would happen and worked to accentuate it. But I don't
think so. I think it just happened.

I used to work with a fellow vehicle examiner who had a copy of the original Ford Model T owner's manual. That was an education. It covered absolutely every aspect of the vehicle, no secrecy about anything, more comprehensive than many so-called modern Workshop Manuals. Henry Ford certainly didn't start that trend. It's not just cars, though, is it? Look at trying to get manuals for a washing machine or whatever. They're all at it.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - corblimeyguvnar
NowWheels, Can I come too?

Edited by corblimeyguvnar on 25/09/2009 at 13:05

If you're in West Yorkshire on monday morning and can demonstrate credentials as a mechanic, you'll be a very welcome ally!
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - corblimeyguvnar
If you're in West Yorkshire on monday morning and can demonstrate credentials as a mechanic
you'll be a very welcome ally!

Dam it, bit far for me
Update: I talked on the phone today to the service manager about doing an assessment on monday. He's wriggling a bit: now claiming that front pads are 70% worn rather than that they are worn out, and claiming that the problem with the rear brakes is corrosion on the outer surface of the discs rather than that they are scored by completely worn-out brakepads.

The change of story rather confirms my suspicions of something awry. When I reminded him that I would take the matter further if I wasn't satisfied that the inspection confirmed what I had already been told, he said that in that situation he'd be very concerned about that conduct of the technician who'd done the service.

So there we have their exit route: if the scam is rumbled, just sacrifice the most junior person. Neither novel novel nor surprising, and rather difficult to challenge. It'll be interesting to see how this actually goes.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - maz64
So there we have their exit route:

Similar thing happened to us after buying a used Cav from a local (non-Vauxhall) garage. The garage allegedly did an MoT before we picked it up, but we noticed a few things wrong with it (can't remember what, but I'm no mechanic) and as a result forked out £150 for an AA inspection.

Inspection revealed a number of what should of been MoT failures. Took it back to garage - they gave us £150 to cover the inspection, problems were fixed and technician was sacked (or so we were told).
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - bell boy
when i were nowt but a lad i had a job in a very big shop and it was decreed that i was the fall guy for the day
customer came in with a complaint,i was blamed by associates,manager came down and i was sacked on the spot, i protested my innocence,customer calmed down and said i shouldnt lose my job but i was told to go forthwith,i had to walk round the block till the customer had gone so i could take my place behind the counter again to do the same routine,how we used to laugh in whitelocks in briggate after we shut shop

happy days
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - TheOilBurner
Re: Bell Boy's comments, taken with the spirit intended, but it only goes to prove what I said before:

"Even if NW succeeds in getting the dealer to admit wrong and make amends, does anyone seriously think it will stop them from trying again with someone else? "

IMHO, thinking otherwise is rather naive. Maybe NowWheels can show me to be a silly old cynic and get something meaningful done about this...maybe not...
get something meaningful done about this...maybe not...

Not, in all probability.

Thirty-six years ago in Trenton, New Jersey, I was appalled to see the fitters in a national exhaust chain, Midas Muffler, cutting holes in brand new exhaust parts to prevent them being re-used, having dropped the whole system from a car whose exhaust had recently been partly repaired. This was very plainly company policy, and there was a pile of virtually new boxes and pipes that had been destroyed in that way behind the workshop.

The unthinking capitalist logic of more turnover, more waste, more profit, internalised by wage slaves against their own best interests, is what has led to the sort of thing that NW would like to stop. But it's unrealistic to expect workers to be more moral than their bosses. Or for anyone to be anything but lumpish and stupid when confronted. They are bang to rights after all, but can't admit it. They are all liars, or nearly all. It's pathetic, and sad, and wall to wall.

You might find a garage principal who loathes that sort of thing and won't allow it. But most are going to try not to think about it too much because it earns them a bit more.

Greed greed greed as bell boy might say.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - TheOilBurner
That sums it up very well Lud. No one person can undo this, or even hope to derail it slightly, it's ingrained into our very culture, sadly.

"Accept the things you can't change", clichéd but still worthy advice.
Greed greed greed as bell boy might say.

I'm not suggesting by the way that NW just meekly takes it. I think a forthright, even rude response is justified in view of the shameless porkies told.

But as I said, what fun is it watching the agonised squirming of a cockchafer grub exposed to the light and injured? It's just disgusting. The grub dies or survives, but there are lots more.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - jbif
... So there we have their exit route: if the scam is rumbled, just sacrifice the most junior person. .. >>

It is possible that the mechanic is on a bonus incentive system, whereby he gets a cut of the extra dosh for work "found to be necessary". But it may be based on an offer he cannot refuse - i.e. if he fails to find enough work, he gets the sack but he also gets the sack if he gets found out. On the other hand, it may be something cooked up between the service manager and parts department without the knowledge of the owner of the franchise. Very much like Piquet, Symonds and Briatore of Renault F1.

Edited by jbif on 25/09/2009 at 16:14

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - L'escargot
NowWheels, what do you hope to gain personally by pursuing this matter? After all, so far you've lost nothing.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - Pat L
He has nothing to gain financially but a lot to gain morally. Garages like this should be brought to book, or the very least be made painfully aware that some punters won't stand for their crooked practices.

Sock it to 'em, NW!

(incidentally, like most posters here, I don't think I'm easily duped but when I think back I have probably been done in the past when I was a fresh-faced youth).
.......... but a lot to gain morally.

Two of my favourite maxims are "Discretion is the better part of valour" and "Make sure you don't cut your nose off to spite your face".

Edited by L'escargot on 25/09/2009 at 19:53

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - madf
I would move on. life's too short.

there is a Mercedes owner suing MB - yes Mercedes Benz UK - for some damage to his car. Long and involved. taken 6 years and £5k and he may now have a case.

( Very wealthy and retired iirc: taken up most of his life from the sound of it)

Edited by madf on 25/09/2009 at 20:07

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - oilrag
They don`t like it up `em....

cough
snaily - yes, two great maxims but I'm not sure how they apply in this case.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - ifithelps
... two great maxims but I'm not sure how they apply in this case....

They don't.

...discretion is better part... Used as an excuse for backing down.

Should NowWheels be concerned the dealer will send the workshop chargehand round to fill her in? I don't think so.

...cut off nose... Don't fall out in case you need the other party in future.

Will NowWheels ever want to use this dealer again?
I can't speak for her, but I'll hazard a guess she will not be taking her custom there in the future under any circumstances.

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - jbif
He has nothing to gain financially but a lot to gain morally. >>

Pat L : NW is a she !

L'escargot: two great maxims which have their rightful place, but not in this case. Try to remember appeasement and Neville Chamberlain.

Edited by jbif on 25/09/2009 at 21:20

>>Pat L : NW is a she !

Oops! Sorry NW.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - stunorthants26
My main dealer passed my 6 year old Charade for its MOT without a single advisory, which given that it is at an age where there is any number of plausible reasons for it to have failed, gives me confidence in their honesty.
I do always check my car thoroughly and anything that it fails on or Im told needs replacing, I always ask to be shown - any resistance is to my mind suspicious at the very least. I am somewhat cautious about who I use for work on my cars though, so perhaps it has paid off, so far anyhow.

Having worked the other side of the counter in a service department, I would say you have come across a common practice and unfortunatly you may well do so again. Take heart though that there are many worse cases of downright fraudulent behaviour being commited by the motor trade everyday. The worst bills I ever had to pass on were those to obviously not very wealthy old ladies who had total trust in what they were told - they are at the mercy of the guys on the service desk but it was rare that mercy was ever shown to them.

Anyone who thinks its remotely amusing to fleece people this way is as bad as the dishonest people who give the trade such a bad name.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - TedCrilly
To the OP...You have lost nothing but you have learned a valuable lesson. If you have the time and motivation to take this further fair play to you but what are you expecting at the end of it, is it worth all the effort just to hear some faceless person say sorry, you wont be going back there so why bother? If you are hellbent on revenge you have a better chance if you make a model doll of your service manager from wax, do a bit of chanting and stick pins in it.

Dont make the mistake of thinking they are going to "squirm" this is nothing new, it happens everyday in dealerships all over the country, no service manager looses sleep over this sort of thing, its water off a ducks back. They will say the same thing again tomorrow to the next candidate, and again the day after etc etc etc. They are making a recomendation that you are under no obligation to accept, British Gas did the same thing to me today when they sent me a flyer telling me my central heating could fail and cost £ks to repair so where do you draw the line?

Can I ask you a question though?......... Lets assume hypotheticaly, they said the brakes were perfectly servicable and in say 2-3 months time a problem developed. How would you react?

>>British Gas did the same thing to me today when they sent me a flyer telling me my central heating could fail and cost £ks to repair so where do you draw the line?

BUT the difference is NW's car was serviced/inspected and (if we believe her side of the story, and I do) she was told that items that were perfectly serviceable needed replacing.

I really don't understand the 'accept it and move on' attitude of some forum members, especially as those same people recognise this practice as widespread. Surely, if we have evidence, as NW does, we need to take a stance rather than roll over!
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - nortones2
Its attempted fraud. A criminal offence. If NW has evidence, and I were in her shoes, I'd pass the papers to TS.

Edited by nortones2 on 25/09/2009 at 23:28

Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - gordonbennet
Surely if we have evidence
as NW does we need to take a stance rather than roll over!

>>

I agree PL, but so far NW doesn't have any evidence except for her independent's opinion, not as i have any bones to pick with him (presumably), but he could have a vested interest in aquiring NW's future repair work to her fleet of ecolgically friendly hilux pick ups..;) i'm sure he's being totally honest mnd you, but the dealer's tech's opinion is equally valid (and comission wise equally pliable).

It remains to be seen just how bad NW's brake discs and pads are, and even then all will be subject to the assessors own values.

My rear discs were looking a bit shabby and scored on the ageing MB, had lots of meat on them still, little wear in fact and probably half the pad thickness remaining, but at approx £80 or less for a set of discs and pads i changed them anyway...thats me, others would have left them till they were completely worn out, this whole subject doesn't have any hard and fast rules.
Also i didn't think they were worn that badly but my respected and trusted MB indy changed the front pads at service/mot time, in practice i noticed just how much improved the brakes were when i got the car back before i realised he'd done the pads, it's all subject to trust and opinion..i trust him, he would rather eat tyres than cheat a customer (or anyone else).
I really don't understand the 'accept it and move on' attitude of some forum members, especially as those same people recognise this practice as widespread.

I've never come across it in 44 years of having my cars serviced at a variety of franchised dealers in a variety of towns/cities, so it can't be that widespread.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - oilrag
As previously said
The worst I had was a Fiat main dealer trying to quote the full stripdown (cambelt off) price for a new waterpump - when fitted along with a new cambelt. When of course the pump is just sitting there with the belt off.
I rang them back and challenged that - pointing out in technical detail that the pump would be sitting there exposed with the belt off. The reply " It`s because we have to drain the radiator" (£150 labour to fit a waterpump - already exposed by the cambelt job)
Later I caught them on a quote for a new door checkstrap (midwinter not wanting to work on the drive) I got a quote for around 1.5 hours labour - instantly reduced on me questioning it.
Then discovered it can be slid in through the door speaker housing and fitted in 10 minutes.

I could write at least 10,000 words (and would struggle to squeeze it in) about main dealers. Ford in particular, then VW, another Fiat dealer years ago and Rover.

Then the `trusted independents` one of whom was gradually fleecing my female colleague for unnecessary work, while using an oil that wore the engine to the point of low oil pressure.

Some good independents that said - but main dealers - only two I found I could trust over 40 years.
I agree PL but so far NW doesn't have any evidence except for her independent's
opinion not as i have any bones to pick with him (presumably) but he could
have a vested interest in acquiring NW's future repair work to her fleet of
ecolgically friendly hilux pick ups..;

Actually, the independent had a clear vested interest in this case -- a vested interest in finding a fault, because he knew I'd get him to do the work on the brakes if it was needed. He got the job last time the brakes needed work, and when I showed him the car I explicitly told him that if it needed doing I preferred his prices to those of the main dealer.

And I'm afraid he won't get any work on my pickup, if I get one. The pickup will be in Ireland, not Yorkshire. :)
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - perro
I was a mobile car tuner for 14 years, whenever I worked on any car, I would always throw the plugs, points and condenser in the garbage - even if they were brand spanking new and fitted the previous day.
I used to guarantee my work, but couldn't guarantee their parts + I only used NGK, Lucas & Bosch.
You say your Almera is 5 years old roughly, and you had the brakes done 3 years ago by an indie - so it was still under the manufacturers 3 year warranty then?
20,000 miles can be hard on the braking system - especially in your hilly part of the world ... *more so* if it's an automatic transmission.
Did the indie use GENUINE Nissan parts?
Why didn't you use the indie for the annual service if they are so good?
And lastly - have a great holiday/trip wherever you're off to this week :)
I was a mobile car tuner for 14 years whenever I worked on any car
I would always throw the plugs points and condenser in the garbage - even if
they were brand spanking new and fitted the previous day.

Is it any wonder that some people automatically regard anyone in the motor trade as a rip-off merchant?
You say your Almera is 5 years old roughly and you had the brakes done
3 years ago by an indie - so it was still under the manufacturers 3
year warranty then?

Yes, it was. But the cost saving of the indie was big enough to make the job worthwhile, and brakes discs+pads seemed like a reasonably self-contained item. I might have made a difft decision if it was part of the engine.
20 000 miles can be hard on the braking system - especially in your hilly
part of the world ... *more so* if it's an automatic transmission.

True, but it's not that hard on them, and most of the miles I travel are on the motorway. And in way case it doesn't explain why the dealer claimed that the rear discs and pads were in so much worse state that the fronts -- surely the rears should wear less that the fronts
Did the indie use GENUINE Nissan parts?

No. I was quite satisfied that the alternatives were of at least as good quality. Since brake discs and pads aren't warranty items anyway, there's no warranty benefit to be derived from using manufacturer's parts.

However, I didn't explain the full story of what happened then. I wasn't happy with the dealer's brakes quote in 2006, so took it to the indie who said replace the front disc+pads, but not the rears. So he did that.

When I was next back at the dealership, they swore blind to me that my rear brakes were indeed dangerously worn, and the indie was wrong. On that occasion I took their advice, and let them replace the rears -- so the rears are supposed to be genuine Nissan. The bits which the dealer says are wrecked are the bits they installed.
Why didn't you use the indie for the annual service if they are so good?

Answered above, near the top of this thread.
And lastly - have a great holiday/trip wherever you're off to this week :)

Thanks!
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - gordonbennet
are on the motorway. And in way case it doesn't explain why the dealer claimed
that the rear discs and pads were in so much worse state that the fronts
-- surely the rears should wear less that the fronts

It's often the case that the little use the rears get* doesn't help in the wear dept as they corrode and i've seen corrosion on rear discs so bad that 50% of the surface is pitted and rough and scored and not providing even braking, the fronts don't get as bad before replacement i think because the roughness is felt through the pedal and often sounds grim too, whereas the underused rears are hardly felt at all.

As you have fleet of vehicles (non as heathern as my gas guzzling eccentricities i grant you..;) NW, could this be the case that the Almera stands for extended periods and rust has taken excessive hold of the rear discs.

* quite why so many normal cars have rear disc brakes is another question altogether, i'm firmly of the opinion that 75% of normal cars now fitted with rear discs would be just as effectively braked if those rears were drums, would also lead to simpler and more effective handbrake mechanisms in many cases too.

I'm keeping an open mind on this and look forward to hearing the outcome of Monday's investigation.
As you have fleet of vehicles (non as heathern as my gas guzzling eccentricities i
grant you..;) NW could this be the case that the Almera stands for extended periods
and rust has taken excessive hold of the rear discs.

I was quite persuaded by that explanation when all pads and discs were replaced at 21,000 miles, because the car had been a motability vehicle which I bought s/h ... so it may have been hanging around for a while after the demise of the first owner, and probably hung around for a while before I bought it.

But since I have owned it, I have never left it standing for more than 48 hours until this summer, when I spent a month in the campervan (which I only took possession of in July). By then I was aware of the possibility of corrosion, so when I got home at the start of September, I took it out and gave it a bunch of emergency stops downhill (sufficient to trigger the ABS) to clear any surface rust.
I'm keeping an open mind on this and look forward to hearing the outcome of
Monday's investigation.

I'll see if I can post photos after the event. But the fact that the garage has already changed its story from "rear brake pads worn through and scored the discs" to "corrosion on outer surface of discs" is enough to persuade me that there was some trickery going on. AFAICS, the question is just what trickery.
Thank you for being totally honest NowWheels - unlike a lot of the garage trade!
What you may wish to consider for your future servicing requirements, is a mobile service operative who Will carry out the work - whilst you watch if you want, and you can build up a trusting relationship with him + it may even work out a few pfennigs cheaper.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - bell boy
perro who in their right mind would want to work out of the back of a van on someones drive while the customer is on their shoulder nudging them out of the way to have a look as they are trying to knock the pins out.
Can you imagine going across town to fit a set of rear shoes on something like a seat ,youve been to the factors and the guy behind the counter youve given the registration number to says there are 4 combinations of shoes fitted to that model on that year and they only have 3 types in stock,what do you do ?so you take them jack customers car up only to find the ones you havent got are the ones you need and oh look it needs a track rod end too
List is endless, the futures bright its the trusted garage that comes recommended by friends /neighbours it always was and always will be,tell tale signs are always there like is the place too clean ? if it is the boss is either too finicky and charges over top dolla or there isnt enough work to go round,you should be looking for busy but ever so slightly tatty ie we only have time to paint the floors on xmas eve
Ive said before i think? that unless im pushed at work i dont give advise anymore because its like whistling in the wind,these people nod their heads at the advise you give then file it under b for bin as soon as they have left your side
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - FP
"...who in their right mind would want to work out of the back of a van on someone's drive while the customer is on their shoulder nudging them out of the way to have a look..."

Well, that's pretty much what happens on my drive when my trusted indie works on my car - and he's happy to talk about what he's doing, or any other aspect of cars, at the same time.

I think BB has become ever so slightly cynical about his customers! (Based on experience, I'm sure!)
bell boy - - - you are 100% correct Sir!
That's why I had to convalesce in Tenerife for 3 years & bathe my head in Dorada :)
There were just a few cars that got the better of me in the 14 years, but customers!!!
I reckon most, if not all service engineers are in a similar situation because my Brother was a TV engineer, and he's hair is Grey going on silver like mine!
But, I must admit - I did enjoy mobile tuning in the early days, but speaking to my neighbour (I do that once in a while!) who does tuning/diagnostic work + MOT's + classic car restoration + general servicing + Perodua dealer + + +, he was telling me about some of the course's he has to go on, well - I run in and nail the front door up!
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - Marc
"tell tale signs are always there like is the place too clean ? if it is the boss is either too finicky and charges over top dolla or there isnt enough work to go round"

Not too sure about that, but I guess there will always be exceptions.

I have used a well known Vauxhall Omega specialist for brakes on my car a couple of times and their service area is exceptionally clean and tidy (IMO). Service is with genuine parts, swift, thorough and competitively priced. Good advice is free also.
Very likely the same idiots who have been done over by assorted main dealers and back street monkeys then go on to give people like bell boy and perro a moronic hard time over nothing in particular.

As I said, all of this is built into the privately owned automobile. People buy at a bargain price something they can't drive or understand. Nor, being like that, can they afford it.

I have nothing but sympathy for hard-working car men who have to deal with these faffing twits. But when the car men get corrupted or impatient and just say any old thing expecting it to be believed, they lose my sympathy.

It's an idiotic world.
Garage trying it on. I've decided what I'm doing - NorfolkDriver
NW,

Any update to this?

ND
Yes,I've been looking forward to finding out what's happened!